I was not planning on leaving the U.S

MorrisDancer

Aug 7, 2005
I have two AT&t phones. One is out of contract the other has a year left. I am moving to France and at best they would be paper weights. Any ideas on getting out of the second contract?

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Just call them and tell them.
If they cannot provide you service, they will cancel your contract without a termination fee.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: Phynaz
Just call them and tell them.
If they cannot provide you service, they will cancel your contract without a termination fee.

I doubt this.

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
your phone will work in france, for $.99/min. You can obviously cancel the out of contract one. The other one, you are lucky, this year they changed the ETF structure. Instead of flat $150, its now (in the last year or so) been made so it depends on how many months you have left in your contract. You took a discounted phone, this is your punishment..probably cost you $100 or so.

Wonderful Pork

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2005
Originally posted by: erub
your phone will work in france, for $.99/min. You can obviously cancel the out of contract one. The other one, you are lucky, this year they changed the ETF structure. Instead of flat $150, its now (in the last year or so) been made so it depends on how many months you have left in your contract. You took a discounted phone, this is your punishment..probably cost you $100 or so.

I believe the new ETF is for new contracts after the pricing structure changed; ie if you signed your contract in September your ETF drops $5/month, if not, you're on the hook for $175.

Hopefully for the consumers sake I'm wrong, but I doubt any wireless provider would alter the contract to benefit the customer.

mattocs

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2005
I got out of Sprint and Verizon when I moved to areas that they didn't service. ATT should do this, too.

onlyCOpunk

Platinum Member
May 25, 2003
Yes, there should be a clause in the contract about an unforeseeable move. You'd have to prove to them that this move was unintentional and unplanned, especially when you signed your contract. A letter from your employer should do the trick. It's pretty similar to a lease, in that one of the few ways you can get out of it is by a force out of your control.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Here are their latest terms. The only way for you to get out of your contract is to pay $175.

Originally posted by: onlyCOpunk
Yes, there should be a clause in the contract about an unforeseeable move. You'd have to prove to them that this move was unintentional and unplanned, especially when you signed your contract. A letter from your employer should do the trick. It's pretty similar to a lease, in that one of the few ways you can get out of it is by a force out of your control.

If they allowed this, everyone would claim it. If you don't want a contract, pay full price for the phone.