I was handed down a 600d package, do I really need a 40 and 50mm ?

Ricky Spanish

May 20, 2013
I am a entry level user on the DSLR side and my best buddy from childhood gave me his setup when he upgraded to full frame and he gave me a Canon 600D with a canon pancake 40mm 2.8 and a 50mm 1.8 ii along with a 18-135mm is.

I am pretty clueless to lenses and f/stops and shutter speeds so I was wondering if I really need a 40mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.8 ?

The only difference I can see with my untrained eyes is that the 50mm seems to get in closer than the 40MM and I do know that the 50mm is faster at the 1.8 but that's about it....I need to find a local class as I cannot seem to grasp anything online or reading.

Thanks and I ask as I want to sell one to put towards a flash.

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
The two lenses are so close in range that I'd just keep one - and at a higher speed, the 50mm is a no brainer.

You have the right ideas - take a local class; sell the 40mm; buy a flash, in that order, so you get to know your own shooting style and preferences before you purchase anything. I recommend looking for local community/evening classes - they are cheap, and you can interact with a bunch of others at your level of expertise.

And you should tag along with your friend when he shoots something, or shoot some yourselves and ask him to critique it. Things you read will only make sense when you have spent some of your own time figuring out the basics and practicing.

Ricky Spanish

May 20, 2013
Thanks and yeah I was thinking the 50mm also being the faster lens so the 40mm will go, it is a very nice little lens.

I have been searching craigslist for classes as national camera is so expensive as I am on a fixed income and some pt work.

I would love to follow with my buddy but he is rarely in the states anymore, I see him maybe twice a year for beer and pizza and then a cruise in the F430 spyder.

:awe:

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
I would love to follow with my buddy but he is rarely in the states anymore, I see him maybe twice a year for beer and pizza and then a cruise in the F430 spyder.

:awe:

You need to return him his camera and ask for that spyder instead...

Oct 9, 1999
keep both the 50 and 40.. i prefer the 40 for general use street photography, the 50 is a bit too long..

Ricky Spanish

May 20, 2013
St. Paul's Adult enrichment courses include classes in photography - check out pages 10/11 on their brochure (I could not locate their 2013 pamphlet, but I'm sure you can do better by calling them).

Excellent, thank you.

You need to return him his camera and ask for that spyder instead...

lord knows I have tried.

keep both the 50 and 40.. i prefer the 40 for general use street photography, the 50 is a bit too long..

That is what I was thinking at first but I could really use a flash more right now.

Last edited:

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
The best focal length is around 22-25mm for general photography in APS-C format. 50mm will be a great portrait lens, and the 40mm will be a bit short for portrait. Hence the 18-135mm is a good lens for general photography, and the fast 50mm will be a perfect lens for low light situation and it also serve as a good portrait lens.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
If it were the 650d I'd say keep the 40mm for the autofocus during video, but the 600d doesn't utilize that. Stick with the 50mm.

Ricky Spanish

May 20, 2013
Well nobody seems to be interested in the 40mm so looks like am keeping it for now and just going to try a 3rd party flash I found on amazon.

colonelciller

Sep 29, 2012
i think you'll be stifling your creativity AND learning if you don't pick up a nice inexpensive zoom lens that covers the equivalent of 28-200 range in a 35mm film camera.Tamron makes great lenses like these.

i say 'equivalent' because your camera system may (many digital camera systems do) have a different scaling of the lens sizes. I don't know how that affects your particular camera (i'm guessing you do though)... anyway 28-200 soom offers fantastic flexibility and adaptability to quickly changing (or just different) subject matter/circumstances.