I want to upgrade my CPU

Hkcuong

Jul 29, 2009
I have a notebook called Acer Aspire 5572ANWXMi of Aspire 5570 Series. The notebook is using a Core Duo T2250 (1.73Ghz, 533 Mhz FSB) on the chipset 945GM and an integrated Intel 950 VGA. I want to upgrade the current CPU to a higher CPU and I want it to be a Core 2 Duo. Could anyone show me what CPU I can use to upgrade? Thanks all.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
most notebooks have a CPU physically soldered onto the mobo, rarely does it actually use a socket (making it upgradeable), even then the BIOS in question has to support higher level CPU. just beacuse the CHIPSET can does not mean the bios can (example, my HP zv6000 can only support single core athlon 64 CPUs, not dual cores, even though the chipset can support it in motherboards made for desktops).

Do they SELL the exact same model you have with a core 2 CPU? do some research and a lot of googling about this SPECIFIC model and what CPUs it CAN be upgraded to, if any.

LoneNinja

Jan 5, 2009
Your limited to the older first generation 65nm C2D products for sure, and which ones would require research on what your bios can support.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Gillbot
most of the notebooks i've seen have a socket not a soldered chip.

I am going to have to agree with you here. Out of the hundreds of laptops I have worked on over the years only a handful were soldered on.

Op, you should be able to change it out depending on bios cpu support, and being able to find one for sale.

Hkcuong

Jul 29, 2009
Originally posted by: waffleironhead

I am going to have to agree with you here. Out of the hundreds of laptops I have worked on over the years only a handful were soldered on.

Op, you should be able to change it out depending on bios cpu support, and being able to find one for sale.

From what I know, only ULV and Atom CPUs are soldered on the board. is that right?

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Hkcuong

From what I know, only ULV and Atom CPUs are soldered on the board. is that right?

Almost for sure that my P8600 in my Sony Vaio Z is soldered on...

Hkcuong

Jul 29, 2009
I want to get to the point. Am I able to upgrade my CPU to Core 2 Duo and what CPU can I use?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I want to get to the point. Am I able to upgrade my CPU to Core 2 Duo and what CPU can I use?

Did you click the links I gave you? Look at the 945GM page I linked you to, any of the Core 2 Duo Mobiles listed there should work, but that doesn't mean they will. The CPU support depends on how Acer writes the BIOS, they can limit what is compatible...that's how vendors like Acer, Dell, etc control consumers. "oh, want a faster processor? well, those processors are only support on blah blah laptop." So basically, anything that Acer doesn't list may work...but it may not.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Originally posted by: allies

Almost for sure that my P8600 in my Sony Vaio Z is soldered on...

If it is, that's what SONY wanted to do. The P8600 is Micro-FCPGA. In 10+ years of working with computers, the only soldered CPU's I've seen are RISC, OLD stuff from the 90's when soldering was more common, and one cheapy mobo that had an AMD 1600+ soldered to it.

Hkcuong

Jul 29, 2009
Yeah, some people told me some CPUs that I can use are T7200, T7400, T7600 or even T7600G which is supposed to be found in Dell XPS (this piece of information I got from a consultant not from the Intel website) and the BIOS which I am using is the version since 2007. The exact date is February 2nd, 2007

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The 5570 series has a latest release of 12/8/2008 version 3508, put the latest BIOS on before CPU replacement.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001

Your best option is to first look in your laptop to see if the chip is in fact socketed. I have seen a few with the chips soldered on but it is VERY rare.

After that, we can help you more bu trying to determine what board, bios and chipset you have.

Hkcuong

Jul 29, 2009
The socket which shown by CPU-z is 479mPGA, by PC Wizard is mPGA479M (I wondered which is more exactly?) People also told me that I should use the socket M's Core 2 Duo for the upgrade and my current CPU (Core Duo T2250) is also for Socket M (from the Intel Website). What are your opinions?

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
open the laptop up and look first.

I upgraded my wife's dell laptop from a T2050 to a T5450 but it would NOT work with the T7500 so you should be safe up to the T5xxx series at least.

Hkcuong

Jul 29, 2009
I used sisoftware sandra to view the system properties this afternoon and it showed the exact socket M (Which cpu-z and pc wizard couldn't display). Does it mean I can use any Core 2 Duo CPU for Socket M?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I used sisoftware sandra to view the system properties this afternoon and it showed the exact socket M (Which cpu-z and pc wizard couldn't display). Does it mean I can use any Core 2 Duo CPU for Socket M?

You need to start reading and following the directions in replies. I gave you a list of exactly what CPU's are supported by the 945GM chipset, and also explained that does not guarantee compatibility because vendors can limit BIOS' to only accept certain CPU's. Please read the replies in the thread again. And to answer your question, No...it doesn't mean any C2D Mobile will work..

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001

I guess you missed my reply,

Hkcuong

Jul 29, 2009

I upgraded my wife's dell laptop from a T2050 to a T5450 but it would NOT work with the T7500 so you should be safe up to the T5xxx series at least.

Sorry, but why do you ask me to open my laptop? Through Sisoftware Sandra I know that My laptop is specified to used socket M. Does the T7500 present in the list of your chipset's supported CPUs? Yesterday, I have asked for consultancy from technician of a CPU Replacement Service and he listed some CPUs that I can use: T5500, T5600 and even T7200 and he confirmed that I can use all the three CPUs. He also told me that he had upgraded this kind of laptop before.
Originally posted by: ch33zw1z
You need to start reading and following the directions in replies. I gave you a list of exactly what CPU's are supported by the 945GM chipset, and also explained that does not guarantee compatibility because vendors can limit BIOS' to only accept certain CPU's. Please read the replies in the thread again. And to answer your question, No...it doesn't mean any C2D Mobile will work..
I only know that my laptop is using the Bios version since February 2nd, 2007 (version 1.3502) and I don't know what C2D does this version of BIOS support.

bobdelt

May 26, 2006
Want to upgrade? Buy a new laptop.

Two reasons

1. I question your ability to perform the upgrade. At least from the details we provided. Perhaps someone who speaks your native language could be more of help.

2. The chip you want to buy probably cost as much as a cheap core 2 duo laptop - plus you can sell your current laptop = better over system for less money.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Originally posted by: bobdelt
Want to upgrade? Buy a new laptop.

Two reasons

1. I question your ability to perform the upgrade. At least from the details we provided. Perhaps someone who speaks your native language could be more of help.

2. The chip you want to buy probably cost as much as a cheap core 2 duo laptop - plus you can sell your current laptop = better over system for less money.

I agree, this task seems to be beyond his knowledge level.