I want to start running regularly

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Other than get a nice pair of running shoes? Tips on what kind of shoes would be appreciated. I don't want to spend more than $50-60 on a pair of shoes though.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
I'm not a big runner, but personally I love New Balance shoes. Especially now that you can get them in wide sizes. Nikes always cramped my feet and gave me ingrown toenails.

Ophir

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001
Go to a running store and get shoes, have them fit you for your foot and stride type. You should be able to get away with <$80. Just make sure you are up front with them about your budget. Remember, they're running shoes, so pick the one that's best for you, not the one that looks best or is a brand you like. Your body will thank you.

As far as running goes, start slow. For the first month, take regular breaks when you start to feel tired. It's natural to try to push through the pain, but in the beginning you may injure yourself. Once you get more comfortable with your stride, pace, and breathing you can start to push yourself.

Oh and in the beginning allow 1-3 days between runs to let your body heal.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: TheNinja
I'm not a big runner, but personally I love New Balance shoes. Especially now that you can get them in wide sizes. Nikes always cramped my feet and gave me ingrown toenails.

W00t! How much do you think a good pair of New Balances will run me?

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
How much do you weigh? If it's over 180lbs running is hell on your body.

I weight about 200lbs and also have flat feet, eliptical bike for me.

But get some good shoes and run on the softest surface you can find.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: tweakmm
How much do you weigh? If it's over 180lbs running is hell on your body.

I weight about 200lbs and also have flat feet, eliptical bike for me.

But get some good shoes and run on the softest surface you can find.

I only weigh 130 lbs, I'm still a pretty tiny guy (16, 5'10").

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
I weigh 200 - 205 pounds and average 20 miles a week.

Start with running for time and dont worry about the mileage.

Jog as slow as you want and try to target 15 minutes in the beginning. Run every other day for 2 weeks.

Resist the temptation to "push it" in the beginning.

At the end of two weeks you will feel better and want to increase your time and naturally go faster and farther.

Good luck!

Kreon

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2006
When running (not at full speed) developing a rythim helps.
I use breathing on step. When my left foot goes down, I exhale, inhale next time it goes down.

I also use Saucony shoes, they're nice and wide (I have fat feet), and last a long time.
The ones I have now have lasted for almost a year (whereas Nikes only last about 6 months)

Anothier thing to keep in mind is keeping a daily schedule to run at. Run at a specific time every day, always the same. As attractive as "when I get the chance" is, it never works.

Good luck!

gamepad

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2005
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124

I only weigh 130 lbs, I'm still a pretty tiny guy (16, 5'10").

I hope you eat a lot if you're going to be running regularly.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
i try to go running, i wake up im like YEAH lets go for a jog, than i get my running shoes on and i suddenly change my mind