I want to learn to shoot, where do I start?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
"GRIMSEY!"
"Yeah?"
"Remember, when we're shooting..."
"...yeah?"
"...shoot in the same direction ;)"
*middle finger*

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: alkemyst

That's going to cost at least $2 a shot.

I will say that weapon is a literal handcannon.

a guy i worked with wanted a .44 or a .50 mag as a gun just to shoot with

after a number of arguments i finally convinced him that at a buck or two a shot, he wouldnt be having much fun (nevermind the initial invest price of one of the revolvers)

he went with a .22 Ruger Mk III and *loves* the thing

after talking to my father last week, he gave me his Mk II and im going out with that and a few other guns this weekend with my brother and a family friend :)

its nice that my dad has quite a collection of firearms. and ammo. this weekend wont cost me a dime ;)

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
You can get a Armscor/Rock Island Arms 1911 for $400. It will be a good/reliable 1911 that shoots .45

that is interesting, i was thinking about a s&w sigma, but it had mixed reviews

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I've never understood the gun culture. Maybe I'm just a bit gay, not sexually mind you, but I just don't understand the appeal of guns at all.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Locut0s
I've never understood the ________<insert hobby name here>__________. Maybe I'm just a bit gay, not sexually mind you, but I just don't understand the appeal of ______<insert hobby name here>_______ at all.

Good contribution! :thumbsup:

Jeffwo

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2001

You can get a Armscor/Rock Island Arms 1911 for $400. It will be a good/reliable 1911 that shoots .45

It's actually RockRiverArms and pretty nice for the price!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Jeffwo

I've always heard it called Rock Island Armory. Are there 2 companies or do people just mix them up or what?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
oh, and classes aren't cheap either, especially ones trained by professionals. the cheapest one i've found in my area was $150 and that was still a 2 hour drive to get to the range.

i've seen them at $300+ also.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: pontifex

I've always heard it called Rock Island Armory. Are there 2 companies or do people just mix them up or what?

Rock Island Armory and Rock River Arms are separate companies, and much a much different class of product. RRA will ALWAYS be a superior product than the Rock Island Armory handgun (not saying rock island armory is bad or anything).

If you want a budget 1911, the best bang for the buck (IMO) is the Springfield Armory GI or Mil-Spec. Taurus PT1911 is supposedly pretty damn good too, but I have never fired one.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: adairusmc

Rock Island Armory and Rock River Arms are separate companies, and much a much different class of product. RRA will ALWAYS be a superior product than the Rock Island Armory handgun (not saying rock island armory is bad or anything).

If you want a budget 1911, the best bang for the buck (IMO) is the Springfield Armory GI or Mil-Spec. Taurus PT1911 is supposedly pretty damn good too, but I have never fired one.

Charles Daly makes inexpensive 1911s also, but not sure on quality. I've heard mixed things about them.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: adairusmc

Charles Daly makes inexpensive 1911s also, but not sure on quality. I've heard mixed things about them.

A friend of mine bought one of those Charles Daly's and broke the extractor on his first box of ammo, if that tells you anything. ;)