I want to learn to shoot, where do I start?

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
So I've been trying to find a hobby that's not as expensive as buying crap for my car or constantly upgrading my computer and buying the latest video games. I've decided shooting would be a fun hobby, I just don't know where to start.
Should I take some kind of gun safety class before heading to the shooting range?
How would I find out where local shooting ranges are?
Would they have guns for students to learn with or would I need to buy my own first?
What kind of gun would you recommend I start with and what kind of price tag are we looking at?

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
I think you picked the wrong hobby if you dont want to spend alot.

Mike2002

Jan 11, 2004
Here's a list of ranges you can look at. I would recommend starting out with a little .22 pistol. Won't be too expensive and the ammo is like 12 dollars for 500 rounds. Cheapest rounds you'll find. If you find out you like it you could then pick up a bigger gun. Better yet, rent a few guns at the range before you buy one to see if you like the sport.

edit...here's the link: Gun Ranges

upsciLLion

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
If you have any friends that have guns, ask them. Offer to pay for ammo. They will definitely go for it.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: upsciLLion
If you have any friends that have guns, ask them. Offer to pay for ammo. They will definitely go for it.

QFT

I would def help someone if they asked.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Quasmo
I think you picked the wrong hobby if you dont want to spend alot.

Are guns that expensive? I honestly have no idea... I've never priced a gun before.

GRIFFIN1

Golden Member
Nov 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
So I've been trying to find a hobby that's not as expensive as buying crap for my car or constantly upgrading my computer and buying the latest video games. I've decided shooting would be a fun hobby, I just don't know where to start.
Should I take some kind of gun safety class before heading to the shooting range?
Would they have guns for students to learn with or would I need to buy my own first?
What kind of gun would you recommend I start with and what kind of price tag are we looking at?

1. Shooting can be an expensive hobby. It's not expensive if you buy a 22 pistol, but if you get the bug, then you will want to buy other guns.

2. A safety class is a good idea, but you can probably get someone at the shooting range to teach you. Just make sure you know the four rules before you go to a shooting range.

3. Look in the yellow pages or online for shooting ranges in your area. Call a large gun store and ask them where you can rent guns and learn how to shoot.

4. Lots of indoor ranges have rental guns. Some ranges have rules against renting a gun to someone that is alone or doesn't have their own gun. People have been known to rent guns just to commit suicide with them in the shooting range.

5. The best gun to start out with is a BB pistol so you can practice the four rules of gun safety. Shooting a BB gun before you get a real pistol will help you be a better shot when you move up to a real gun.

upsciLLion

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Are guns that expensive? I honestly have no idea... I've never priced a gun before.

$300 will get you a decent used handgun. $200 will get a decent used pump shotgun. $700 is the bare minimum I'd spend on an AR15 with iron sights only.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: NoShangriLa

Cheap hobbies:

Volunteer at non profit organizations.
House cleaning & cooking.
Yard work

I asked for info about shooting. Thanks anyway though.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Anyone in southeast Michigan wanna teach me to shoot? I'll pay for ammo. ;)

SE Michigan? Just go to Flint or Detroit and you'll learn fast enough!

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Pick up a .22lr pistol or rifle.

Here are the standard candidates.
Pistols: 250-350 for decent new starter
Ruger Mark III
Browning BuckMark

Rifles: 150-250 for decent new starter
Ruger 10/22
Marlin, CZ and Remington also make good .22lr rifles.

Note I only recommended ones still in production.

.22 is good if you don't know if you'll like it yet. 500 rounds for like 10-20 bucks instead of paying 15 bucks per hundred rounds.

A lot of my friends/coworkers that I take with me really enjoy shooting clays with the shotgun also. You can usually find a pump remington 870 express or mossberg 500 for 250-350. Shells are about 5 bucks a box of 25 but you go through them a whole lot slower then pistol/rifle ammunition. I usually buy boxes of 125 clays for around 10 bucks. I have a little spring launcher that cost 30 bucks that serves well enough. Electric launchers range from 500-1500.

You can also hit up outdoor ranges with clay optinos for like 7 bucks per 25 launches. Also see if there is a range by you that rents. I think they usually run 10-15 for gun rental, 10-15 bucks per person and then you have to buy their ammunition. Runs anywhere from 2.50 for 50 22 to 10-15 for 50 handgun cartridges.

EDIT: All my hobbies are expensive. Motorcycles, guns, photography... Buying games are actually a damn good deal considering time spent. :D

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ammo prices are at an all time high right now, easily double what they were a few years ago for many popular calibers. So yeah, it can be pretty expensive hobby. But if you get yourself a nice 22LR, then ammo is still cheap and its a great gun to learn on.

It also depends on where you live. The most convenient range for me is the NRA range, and at 15 bucks an hour, it adds up quickly (and that's one of the cheaper ones around here). But if you've got a big back yard in the woods, then your only cost is ammo and the empty cans that you'll be shootin'. :)

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

I got news for you. Guns aren't cheap and neither is ammo or range time.

You're looking at $500 at least for a decent handgun plus ammo and range time. Everytime I go to the range I probably drop at least $40-50.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

You're looking at $500 at least for a decent handgun plus ammo and range time. Everytime I go to the range I probably drop at least $40-50.

Ruger 10/22

Aaaaaand the solution presents itself. :p

upsciLLion

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Let me guess. You love the Koch.

zach0624

Jul 13, 2007
If I were you I would get a airsoft gun. It is alot cheaper especially if you are just learning how to shoot. A ok pistol is $25 and airsoft bbs are $15 for 5000 at my local airsoft store. You also could shoot at your home(if you have a yard where it is safe to shoot) as long as you follow the previously mentioned 4 rules.

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Chris Rock is right; you don't need gun control, you need bullet control!

Shooting is expensive.

Jeffwo

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2001
If you never shot anything b4 start with a BB gun. They are just about as fun as a .22 and operate just alike, except that you can shoot them in your backyard. I own 2 myself that I use to stay in practice.