I want to learn Java... anyone know of good book(s)?

MarkB

Oct 9, 1999
I've finally resolved to learn java... I have a little c and c++ backgound (survey classes) and am wondering if anyone knows of good books for self teaching..

thanks

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Everyone always talks about curling up with a "good book", yet I have never seen that title on the shelves.

NocturnalChild

Dec 9, 2000
I picked up this book off Amazon....however I had no C++ experience at the time and it was over my head. It might be what you're looking for.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
try deitel and deitel. the latest version. should be simple enough.

learning with java sucks. =( i know nothing about c++, and java was a killer. sure i know simple coding, but i can't manage objects correctly =( that is, i can do my problems, coding sucks =(

anyway, try deitel and deitel. see if you can go to a store and "skim" ;-) and buy it online of course =)

Mule

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2000
The internet, rather SUN, has more info on Java online than you will find in any book(s). I highly recommend taking Sun's Java Tutorial. You might also want to check other sites as well. A book is good for referencing when you're programming, but to learn it you need a REAL class or an online tutorial with good examples.(unless you're very gifted)

iotone

Dec 1, 2000
try core java 2... that's what we used the first time we were transitioning to c++ from java... you might also want to try searching around for java tutorials...

wviperw

Aug 5, 2000
The tutorial that I am going through right now is really good IMO.

Here it is:

Java Tutorial

You can probably skip a large chunk of the beginning if you already know stuff about computers and programming.