I want to get into Starcraft.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
i disagree, i think it holds up because its cartoonish 2d.
if it were 3d from back then it would look really crude.
but starcraft has a nice 2d retro look that ages well.

Yea I just played it a couple months ago and it looks just fine. 2D graphics never get old.

I've gotta disagree to some extent. SC absolutely looks dated, 2D or not. Sure, 2D has more lasting ability than 3D does. The killer is the extremely low resolution.

Sure, once you first load it up and start a map in 640x480 you think 'uh should I still be playing this?' then once you start playing and get used to it- its like 1998 all over again its brilliant! At least thats what happened with me, I think its great, it's never too late to play :).

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
Don't bother with the MP unless you're ready to invest some heavy time into it, or just get your ass handed to you. And as for the SP, well it is an RTS, I've never finished a single player RTS campaign before, they're really boring.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: zerocool84

Yea I just played it a couple months ago and it looks just fine. 2D graphics never get old.

It'll never get old until SC2 comes out in 2 centuries.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
yea probably way more than on that stupid overhyped second life.

who is overhyping Second Life, other than stupid news angencies who don't know crap?

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004

I agree. SC still looks good today, even in 680X420 res.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
StarCraft has the best UMS maps based on Lord of the Rings. Never did find any for WCIII that I liked as much.

Ya its so much fun giving the ring away to morder in Siege of Gondor then blaming it on someone else, you can get some real drama taking place and sometimes even win the game anyway.