I want to add another computer to my folding but

SemperFi

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2000
I take care of a computer at work that does next to nothing all day. It connects to a server using remote desktop and runs software on the server. I figured it should be crunching something. The thing is no internet access. I figured I could transport WU from home on a pen drive. I just want to know how to do it. Seems like I have read something about this before but that was long ago and can't seem to find it on the site now.

Would the graphical client be better to use than the console?

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
CLI is always better 'cause it's abit faster --> more points! :evil:

As far as the pendrive is concerned, there's only two things to do and keep in mind:

- You need to export a registry key from a computer that already does folding@home and add it to the registry of the PC without internet.
- Give the new PC a different ID number than the one you took the registry key from.

What basically happens is that F@H will think that the new PC is a mere second CPU of your first computer.

The registry key (with your user ID) is the folowing: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PandeGroup\Folding@home. Export that key.

Just create a new F@H folder, run the CLI, download a new WU, paste that folder on the pendrive, import the registry key there and run it on the new PC. Just never mess up the different F@H folders.

:beer:

SemperFi

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2000
Thanks BlackMountainCow. I assume CLI is the console version, correct?

So I then have a version on my computer and I take the work folder to my unconnected computer and let it go. When finished I then bring the work folder back and put it back on my computer and let it update by running another console. Is that correct? Pardon all the questions. I am currently running 2 instances of the console version with one assigned to each core of my computer. I just need a 3rd copy of the proggie to do the downloading/uploading with on my computer. The console on my unconnected computer should report that it is done with the work? If yes will it do the same if I install it as a service?

Thanks.

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Yes, CLI (command line interface) is the console version.

You have now two folder on your connected computer, in two seperate folders (F@H1 & F@H2) I assume.

Now just create a third folder (F@H3), copy the CLI exe file into it, start it, configure it (remember to give it a different ID than F@H1 & F@H2), let it download some work, wait till it starts crunching, stop it.

Put F@H3 along with the exportet registry key on your pendrive, go to the unconnected PC. There, import the exportet registry key into your registry (a double click shoudl do), cut & paste the F@H3 folder on that PC. Start the CLI and it should start crunching away. Once it's finished, bring the F@H3 folder back to your connected PC, start the CLI, let it send away the done work and catch some new work. Then, bring the F@H3 folder back to the unconnected PC and so on.

You only need to import the registry key once.

In order to send away the work the quickest, start the CLI of F@H3 with the "-send all" flag. That way, it'll instantly try to send the work and shut down again. Then restart the CLI (without the "-send all" flag) and it'll grab some new work.

The F@H3 console will tell you when it's finished. The service - as far as I know - won't. It'll just try to get a connection. But if you look into the F@H3 folder - once a WU is done - this one textfile - progress.txt / wuinfo.txt / or something like that, can't remember - will show 100% complete. So you know as well that it's finished.

:)

SemperFi

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2000
Cool a lot simpler than I thought.

Your assumption is right now have 2 folders.

Thanks for all of your help.

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
You're welcome!

The only tricky part is to get the registry key exported and imported. Aside from that: piece of cake!

:beer:

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
A helpful flag is the -oneunit flag. It will shut down the console client after the WU is finished. Otherwise the client keeps trying to connect.

Make sure you use the -local flag and that all clients have a different MachineID.

I have an extra folding directory so that when the no-net computer is done I have a WU for it to crunch. Otherwise it will sit idle for a day. And I can stop a WU that is almost done and bring it home to finish.

It helps alot to bring BigWUs to the no-net computer that way you don't have to bring a new one so often.

CupCak3

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2005
isn't there a way to totally fill up your queue so you don't have to switch the WU's so much? i checked quickly for the option but it has failed me :(

also make better use of that folding powa! :)