I want more guns

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I really didn't want to get bit by the gun bug. For a long time, I had no urges whatsoever to buy a gun of my own, despite growing up with them. Then all I wanted was a nice scoped bolt action rifle, cause I love the physical involvement that they require to shoot. Had no interest in handguns. But that didn't last long, the rifle was too hard to transport, a handgun I could take on my motorcycle and go to a range. All the while, my brother in law was trying to get me into AR-15's. I had no interest in that. The rifle and handgun were enough. Until something clicked, and the AR started speaking to me. Soon enough I had an AR-15 in my possession and just received 1,000 rounds of ammo in the mail the other day.

Now I am drooling over the Mosin Nagant 7.62's. So cheap, and interesting in that probably-came-from-the-Russian-front sort of way. And I want a nice .22LR pistol to practice my trigger technique, as well as a Ruger 10/22 rifle. And a Glock 19. Oh, and a P226 because they just melt into my hands. And a Springfield XD45. And AK-47's can be had for less than 400 bucks. Oh yeah, gotta stock up on ammo for all of this stuff, I mean ammo prices are going up, and you need to have enough stash on hand in case of catastrophe. Need more gun cases, a bigger range bag, magazines, scopes, ammo, ammo, ammo...Aggghhhh!!!

Help me.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I have always thought about getting a Mosin Nagant or a Russian/Slavic SKS. I don't think I would be able to find the time to shoot it though. :(

TheNewbie

Jul 17, 2007
The 2nd amendment is totally outdated.
Bearing arms is not a right, its a threat to society. Because (though I'm no suggestion OP or anyone else here is but) there are too many retards in this country who bear arms and the results can be viewed on the news on a daily basis.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: TheNewbie
Bearing arms is not a right, its a threat to society. Because (though I'm no suggestion OP or anyone else here is but) there are too many retards in this country who bear arms and the results can be viewed on the news on a daily basis.

Hehe, a new record. 6 posts in before the first anti-gun zealot nutjob comes into the thread.

TheNewbie

Jul 17, 2007
Originally posted by: Triumph

Hehe, a new record. 6 posts in before the first anti-gun zealot nutjob comes into the thread.

Funny.
See in my quote where I said that I do not imply that OP is a retard?
Please ignore that remark regarding OP as I was giving it way too much credit.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Great... Now I need to get myself more guns to defend myself against Triumph when judgment day comes! Dammit!

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Blah, don't have enough time to bother with TheNewbie. Check out a few military surplus sites and get some cheap surplus rifles while you can.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: TallBill
Blah, don't have enough time to bother with TheNewbie. Check out a few military surplus sites and get some cheap surplus rifles while you can.

Oh! and a Lee Enfield! And a Kar98! What else should I want?

You're not helping, Bill.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBill

Can you recommend any specific sites, Bill?

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002

So if someone busts into your house intent on robbing you and/or raping your wife or daughters, what do you do? Ask them nicely to leave?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000

*slaps TheNewbie in his girlish face* Man up, sissy.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Actually I am going to change my stance on the second amendment. TheNewbie has shown me the light! I too, am against people that decide to bear arms. I think it is gross looking and should not be tolerated!

squirrel dog

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Dont forget the slide action smooth bore.It will belch flame and smoke as the many projectiles rip into your intended target!!!

DeadByDawn

Platinum Member
Dec 22, 2003
My advice is skip the cheap com-bloc weapons and buy quality over quantity. i.e. Springfield 1903-a3, M1 Garand, etc.

Also, a great hobby is reloading. You learn more about firearms and ammunition by learning how to reload, and you can make super accurate ammuntion for about the same price as you are paying for minute of trash can lid surplus ammo.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Triumph
Now I am drooling over the Mosin Nagant 7.62's. So cheap, and interesting in that probably-came-from-the-Russian-front sort of way. And I want a nice .22LR pistol to practice my trigger technique, as well as a Ruger 10/22 rifle. And a Glock 19. Oh, and a P226 because they just melt into my hands. And a Springfield XD45. And AK-47's can be had for less than 400 bucks. Oh yeah, gotta stock up on ammo for all of this stuff, I mean ammo prices are going up, and you need to have enough stash on hand in case of catastrophe. Need more gun cases, a bigger range bag, magazines, scopes, ammo, ammo, ammo...Aggghhhh!!!

Help me.

Careful with the Mosin. I have an M38 and it started splitting cases (on the body, not the neck, thankfully) inexplicably. It's now a wallhanger, because it's certainly not safe to shoot. And I DID disassemble the bolt and check the headspace before it was ever shot.

It happens with old surplus and new production Wolf ammo, but not with brass cased surplus (probably because that stuff conforms to whatever's going on in the chamber better).

If you buy one, keep an eye out for things like this. It's fun, though. It kicks HARD in the carbine length, so if you want to go out and fire more than 25 rounds, get the 91/30 (full length).

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
I see we're throwing out ideas. The mother of all surplus rifles is the Swiss issue Schmidt-Rubin K31. It's definitely the best balanced, most accurate surplus I've ever shot, and it rivals a lot of newer guns as well. Also, it's a straight pull, which is really neat.

Ammo was in tight supply recently, so it's upwards of 50 cents a round for the time being. Still, its totally worth it.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: DeadByDawn
My advice is skip the cheap com-bloc weapons and buy quality over quantity. i.e. Springfield 1903-a3, M1 Garand, etc.

Also, a great hobby is reloading. You learn more about firearms and ammunition by learning how to reload, and you can make super accurate ammuntion for about the same price as you are paying for minute of trash can lid surplus ammo.

I agree with the Garand and Springfield, but it's hard to skip the com bloc weapons. They just have a different feel to 'em. I think they're a lot of fun. A mosin and SKS should be on everyone's list for a cheap day of fun at the range. Especially the SKS, dirt cheap ammo, low recoil, and reasonably accurate.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
They're like chips, once you start, it's hard to stop.

Try out long range shooting, it's a hoot too. I built up a sniper rifle and love shooting it, plus when Armageddon comes, you'll be ready :D

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
They're like chips, once you start, it's hard to stop.

Try out long range shooting, it's a hoot too. I built up a sniper rifle and love shooting it, plus when Armageddon comes, you'll be ready :D

Yeah, I need to get my ass down to the Quantico 1,000 yard range and try it out. The NRA range is only 50 yards, not quite sniper material. :p

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Is that range open to the public, Triumph? I go to the NRA range, but I've never been to an outdoor one.