I want a kitten

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
To spare the long details, I want a kitten, but I don't know where to get one. Obviously a pet store sounds logical, but is there a good "chain" to buy pets from?

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: So
Go to the local pound / SPCA and save a life.

agreed, you probably won't get a kitten, but you will get a cat that is house trained (for the most part) and has all its shots.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
yep. don't buy one in a pet store there are waaaaaay too many nice kittens to be had at the SPCA, and they'll likely have all the shots and maybe even have it fixed for you.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Zolty

agreed, you probably won't get a kitten, but you will get a cat that is house trained (for the most part) and has all its shots.

They often do have kittens as well. I got a cat about a month ago, and although I had decided on an adult cat (they don't get adopted and I didn't mind) -- there were certainly kittens to be had. I searched for a cat that I really liked, and in the end, out the door, $60.

Edit: I think kittens are usually a little more expensive, since they want to provide an incentive to adopt the adults.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Sraaz
To spare the long details, I want a kitten, but I don't know where to get one. Obviously a pet store sounds logical, but is there a good "chain" to buy pets from?

actually, pet stores are the worst places to buy pets from.

agreed with the SPCA/pound/etc. the one in houston almost always has kittens. get there early in the morning for the best selection. if you were looking for a puppy (espcially a small breed), you'd have a problem. but a generic american standard breed kitten shouldn't be a problem.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
Get a gray one. I have a Korat and a russian blue. Both gray. The Korat is an amazing cat, it is a bit darker and the tail sits flat. It wakes me up in the morning, and is literally like a dog. I named it shadow because it follows me EVERYWHERE. I could throw this cat down a flight of stairs and it would come running back. Really smart cat though. The russian blue is very active, but I just got it, very good cat though.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Wherever you do get a kitten from, take it to the vet and get it checked out immediately. We just had three four week old kittens die from feline distemper, by the time the symptons showed it was too late. Get them checked for everything you can ASAP.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Think every cat I have ever had has been abandoned. For some reason they always seem to be the best cats. Maybe something about being abandoned makes them more loving towards their owners.

/shrug

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
my kittens poop and pee in there litter box, they are great....they have done it since day one!

we bought ours at the pet shelter...110$ a pop, worth every penny :D

even though they keep eating my cables on my computer....

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Hey just remember that kittens turn into cats, which isn't a bad thing but they can live up to 16 years. If you are willing to live with your animal that long then blamo - its time for a kitten. My gf has 2 2year old cats that we got when they were just months old and she wants a dog. Sorry, but we'll have to wait about 14 more years before we get another aminal.