I want a dog! Adoption vs buying?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
this your first dog? what matters is that you get them young, very young to make sure you can train them. make sure they weren't screwed up by previous owner. and if you've never had a dog before, make sure to read up good on how to train puppies, its too much to really post on. just know this, dogs grow up fast, and as with human children, each development stage is important. cept with dogs its months, not years. so its very fast. if you fail to train within learning periods your dog will not live up to its potential, and well it'll piss u off, it'll be anti social, needy, destroy things etc.

its living inside with you right?

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
if you know that a specific breed has the traits you're looking for, go ahead and buy one. but if you just want any old doggie, a pound dog would be fine. often the mutts are smarter and live longer because they aren't all inbred. but before you buy any dog, you should do a little research and see what traits go with what dog.

dmurray14

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2003
Originally posted by: buyer262000
Originally posted by: Mwilding
I paid about $200 for my mutt. He came fixed and with several sets of shots

Prices around the country must vary greatly. Here in Arkansas I adopted a dog for 85$, this included all his adult shots, 3 months of heartworm medicine, medical records, a harness, and her being fixed.

Did it include the sex change operation too?

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Save a life. Get a shelter dog. :)

If nothing else, at least go to a shelter and look around.

FearoftheNight

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
hehe yea. Preferably I want one that not too high maintenance. I"m still in college so tehre are alot of other things to take care of.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
We lucked out and found a healthy Pomeranian at the pound. We had to wake up at 4am to get him Monday morning (first come first serve after we saw him the weekend before). Usually the pound doesn't have a good selection but you should check first. Save a life.

hzl eyed grl

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
We adopted a one year old black lab mix (might even be a full black lab, but we're not sure) on St. Patrick's Day at the local Humane Society. His name was Wrigley at the time, but he didn't respond well to the name. We renamed him Rocco. We absolutely love him. He's a really good dog. We're going to start obedience training on Tuesday. To me, it just depends on what you want. I really wanted to adopt a dog. I feel bad that there are dogs in shelters and just wanted to save one. We're extremely happy with the one that we got.

Good luck! :)

NorthRiver

Golden Member
May 6, 2002
Think long and hard before you get a dog! I have had 2 for 7 years, and they are really pissing me off lately. They scratch, they pee, they poop, they tear up the yard, they shed, and they don't always mind. If you want to go somewhere, the dogs have to go, or you have to find someone to watch them. Food prices, and medical if something goes wrong.

Think of all this before getting a dog!

przero

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2000
Adopt. Get a mutt. Less health problems over the years. Pure breeds are inbreeds.