I took my car to the shop, still more problems-edit:head gasket leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I have an 01 Civic that was getting hot and the water pump was leaking. I took it to the shop and they replaced the pump/timing belt and no leaks however my fans will not kick on and they will randomly kick on though and turn off. I also noticed my low headlights are not working, I am thinking maybe this is connected somehow. I check every fuse and all appear good, any suggestions?

follow up post:

The mechanic called me and showed me where it was leaking somewhere under the manifold. he seems to think the head isnt ruined since it sounds good, no loss of power etc. He told me for $600 he would fix it and replace any other seals etc along the way

Last edited:

jaedaliu

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2005
I'm not seeing a problem with the fan.

Is the engine overheating? the fan isn't supposed to be on all the time.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Yeah, the fans are coolant temperature controlled. They also turn on with your A/C.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
then why blame the mechanic, it is not connected; you have electrical problems and you knew it before hand:colbert:

I didn't blame the mechanic. I took it to another mechanic and he got my fans working, something to do with a bad connection. He said the fans will now kick on when the temp needle gets a little below half way, that is were my car normally stays. I also found out my alternator is bad so when I have him replace that I should be good. I hope anyway, I have not driven it since then but he did let it sit and idle for an hour and it never got above normal temp

Status
Not open for further replies.