Question I thought I had it all figured out...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
I am upgrading my PSU to give my son my EVGA B3 550w. I was set on this one from Seasonic: https://www.newegg.ca/seasonic-focu...x-650w/p/N82E16817151186?Item=N82E16817151186

I'm waffling now and instead leaning towards this one from Corsair: https://www.newegg.ca/corsair-rmx-s...a-650w/p/N82E16817139232?Item=N82E16817139232

The Corsair will be about $7 cheaper in the end. The Seasonic has a smaller fan, but it's of better quality. The Corsair has Japanese capacitors, but I've read Seasonic has good ones too. Tom's Hardware does pretty extensive reviews of PSU's and they seem to love Corsair. The Newegg reviews of both are no help, except Seasonic has a lot more reviews.

I was going to go 750w, but I have a 3600 CPU and don't plan on going any higher than a 3060ti for a GPU, which will last me as long as the PSU. My Sapphire 5700XT draws more power now than it will.

I know both will be good choices, but if pushed, which would you go with? Does one have significantly better/easier-to-route cables or some other intangibles? I've never owned either brand, but don't just want to get another EVGA...I like to try new stuff. I do however love the EVGA and how I never even notice that it's there...

Reactions: James3shin

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Jonny Guru has reviewed many of the popular models still on the market or at least their direct predecessors. At least the Seasonic units I’ve purchased have done well and the same with EVGA. Can always check out his reviews of the Corsair products to validate.

Unfortunately, the last I heard, Jonny Guru no longer reviews PSU's...and Oklahoma Wolf, who did many of the reviews for the site has retired.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Jonny Guru has reviewed many of the popular models still on the market or at least their direct predecessors. At least the Seasonic units I’ve purchased have done well and the same with EVGA. Can always check out his reviews of the Corsair products to validate.

Yah, I've read a few of his reviews and he doesn't mention a lot of the negative things that they do in the Tom's reviews (i.e. the EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1+). Either Tom's is more thorough, or they're biased for some reason. After their idiotic attack on HW Unboxed, I try to avoid Tom's if I can.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about from the Tom's review of the Seasonic Focus Gold 750W:

"Under normal loads, the Seasonic platform isn't as efficient as its competition. For instance, compared to Corsair's RM750x, the difference is notable. Even the similarly-priced TX750M achieves higher efficiency.

The situation improves under light loads, where Seasonic's platform takes the lead from Corsair's TX750M. However, the RM750x is still ahead of the SSR-750FX."

For me the Corsair is a no-go anyways because of the 90 degree ends on the SATA power cables (confirmed in the pics of the Johnny Guru review...he's got nice big pictures in his reviews). Unfortunately he hasn't reviewed anything by Phanteks.

Last edited:

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Yah, I've read a few of his reviews and he doesn't mention a lot of the negative things that they do in the Tom's reviews (i.e. the EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1+). Either Tom's is more thorough, or they're biased for some reason. After their idiotic attack on HW Unboxed, I try to avoid Tom's if I can.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about from the Tom's review of the Seasonic Focus Gold 750W:

"Under normal loads, the Seasonic platform isn't as efficient as its competition. For instance, compared to Corsair's RM750x, the difference is notable. Even the similarly-priced TX750M achieves higher efficiency.

The situation improves under light loads, where Seasonic's platform takes the lead from Corsair's TX750M. However, the RM750x is still ahead of the SSR-750FX."

For me the Corsair is a no-go anyways because of the 90 degree ends on the SATA power cables (confirmed in the pics of the Johnny Guru review...he's got nice big pictures in his reviews). Unfortunately he hasn't reviewed anything by Phanteks.

In my opinion, this is one of the better options out there. The power delivery is top notch, cables are a nice gauge, the unit is fairly compact, has a 10 year warranty and on the newer Super Flower platform. I have two of the 1000w version and if the fan has ever come on, I haven't heard it.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
In my opinion, this is one of the better options out there. The power delivery is top notch, cables are a nice gauge, the unit is fairly compact, has a 10 year warranty and on the newer Super Flower platform. I have two of the 1000w version and if the fan has ever come on, I haven't heard it.

I did look at that one, but at the cheapest it will cost me $50 CAD more that the Phanteks/Seasonic/Corsair. I only spent $54 CAD for my EVGA B3 brand new ;) Oddly, the 650W version of that one only has a 7 year warranty...more market segmentation by EVGA.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
I do the same thing. Best thing to do right now is just choose one. They both are good and the suggestions are good. Look at it as either or choice.
make the decision now.

Ha, already did...sort of. Ordered the Phanteks 750 AMP from Amazon because it isn't available until Jan. 24th. That way if the Seasonic gets cheaper in the meantime, I'll cancel it and order that instead. The Seasonic 650W is now more than the 750w Phanteks.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I've been with SeaSonic since about 2006/2007? Not quite sure. Went through some bad Antec TruePower models and an FSP high end that gave up the ghost prematurely. Decided to go SeaSonic after that. Had a couple of S12-II models that died right after 5 years (the warranty for that model). I was happy that they lasted that long. I had an 300W Antec from 2000 that lasted 10 years. I've got a rarely used 850W Silver SeaSonic that's still going since 2009. I got a Seasonic 860W Platinum in 2014. That's six years of 24/7 operation. In my home server, I have a 1000W Seasonic Prime that's doing 24/7 since 2017.

Last edited:

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Well, after all that nonsense I went with an EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 750. Hear me out! I was in Memory Express picking up my shiny new 5600x and asked what they had for gold 650/750 W PSU's in stock. Amazingly submitting my email address online for backorder worked and it was easier to get a 5600x than a 3600...go figure.

As I was ripping up mine and my son's PCs, I wanted one in stock if possible so I don't ever have to open my PC case again! ;) It was $175 CAD which was way too much, but Canada Computers had it on for $139 and ME beats prices, so I got it for $135 CAD ($102 USD). I figured with EVGA's purported excellent warranty service and my so far good experiences, how could I really lose. They only had one, and didn't have Seasonic or Phanteks.

What bugged me (and what the perplexed guy at ME couldn't answer) was why it showed G+ on the box and not G1+? With EVGA's penchant for model-spam, I wanted to be sure I was getting the right one. Got it home, tested it with the included tester and the fan spun up, so I assume that meant that it works. I've never used a tester before.

It is 20mm longer than my B3, but that wasn't an issue. The one issue was that it was a tiny bit taller, likely because of the fan cage, and was very tight to get in my Fractal Design Meshify C. I was a little worried I may squish the fan cage and have issues, but it went in and works. Lots of extra cables that I didn't use, and they were stiff, but seemed to just 'work out' this time. Separate GPU cables (for the 8+6), which is a first for me.

The fan runs all the time now (which bugs me because my B3 didn't) but it is silent so far. I haven't really tested it yet under load. After swapping out my CPU, RAM, CPU cooler (I bought a used AMD RGB off a 3700X), and PSU, I was happy that everything booted up and worked like it should. That moment when you press the power button and pray! :grimacing:

After all that, I learned a lot more about PSUs than I ever wanted to know. I still think a 750w is way overkill for my system (with a Sapphire 5700XT at the moment), but who knows what GPU I'll have in there in 10 years. I guess I'll report back then and let you know how it went. :D Thanks for all the assistance!

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have a pair of EVGA SuperNova G(1)+ 650W 80Plus Gold PSUs in my two secondary rigs. I got them on BF 2018 for around $60 + tax ea. They were cheap(er) back then, before Covid, before Trump Tarriffs, before China and shipping supply-chain issues, etc. Also more available.

I don't think that's a bad choice.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
I have a pair of EVGA SuperNova G(1)+ 650W 80Plus Gold PSUs in my two secondary rigs. I got them on BF 2018 for around $60 + tax ea. They were cheap(er) back then, before Covid, before Trump Tarriffs, before China and shipping supply-chain issues, etc. Also more available.

I don't think that's a bad choice.

Yah, those were the salad days for cheap PSU's. That's when I got my B3 for $36 USD. I hadn't bought a PSU for several years at that time so I figured those prices were 'normal'. I'm going to push it a bit today, but I expect everything will be good. I just pulled the 600w OCZ PSU from my son's PC that still works fine...just noisy.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Last edited:

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I tend to stick with Corsair these days. My TX850M is a few years old now but runs a loaded system with a 3090 nicely. The only thing I wish it had was more 8-pin plugs like their newer ones (3x8-pin video card and 8+8-pin CPU can be used but one of them needs an adapter). Back in the day I used OCZ and they worked well for the 4-5 years I had them in service, but both died many years later.