I think there's a requirement at my company that to be a quality engineer you have to be a dick.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
It seems like every new quality engineer we get that deals with R&D has some empire to build and wants to make their mark on the company and do whatever they can to get in the way to seem important. This is the fourth time I've had to deal with a new guy and every time they're an ass, making up new things and often saying "that's the way we've always done it" (when I've never done it that way...). The minute they start being helpful to the process, they get canned or sent to a different department. I should submit a procedure for removal of head from buttocks and see if they get the point. But I'm sure they'd complain about lines not being bolded or make up a new "law" that says that I need to be clear on what a crowbar is.

Is there anyone out there who works at a company where they have quality engineers that actually want to make things better and/or don't have their head so far up their asses that their body is a mobius strip of stupid?

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
It seems like every new quality engineer we get that deals with R&D has some empire to build and wants to make their mark on the company and do whatever they can to get in the way to seem important. This is the fourth time I've had to deal with a new guy and every time they're an ass, making up new things and often saying "that's the way we've always done it" (when I've never done it that way...). The minute they start being helpful to the process, they get canned or sent to a different department. I should submit a procedure for removal of head from buttocks and see if they get the point. But I'm sure they'd complain about lines not being bolded or make up a new "law" that says that I need to be clear on what a crowbar is.

Is there anyone out there who works at a company where they have quality engineers that actually want to make things better and/or don't have their head so far up their asses that their body is a mobius strip of stupid?

I think this whole post was a clever attempt to use that line.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: rivan
have their head so far up their asses that their body is a mobius strip of stupid?

I think this whole post was a clever attempt to use that line.

Actually that was an after thought.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
lol, I'm still in school and I see several guys studying to be computer engineers (well, really mostly Software engineers and computer science majors). They are generally morons that have this preconceived notion that god has given them all the knowledge in the universe already and the only reason they go to class right now is to get that pesky degree so that people will actually believe their all knowingness.

Seriously, one guy tried to tell me that a Nvidia graphics card would one day become the CPU and that it already has the ability to run as a computers CPU. I tried to explain to him that it did not contain general processors and his main argument was "I HAVE BUILT A PROCESSOR THEREFORE I KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT". Later, I took the same class he did and the "Processor" that was built had no decision making capabilities and barely had any sort of memory.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004

No

Pegun

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Cogman
lol, I'm still in school and I see several guys studying to be computer engineers (well, really mostly Software engineers and computer science majors). They are generally morons that have this preconceived notion that god has given them all the knowledge in the universe already and the only reason they go to class right now is to get that pesky degree so that people will actually believe their all knowingness.

Seriously, one guy tried to tell me that a Nvidia graphics card would one day become the CPU and that it already has the ability to run as a computers CPU. I tried to explain to him that it did not contain general processors and his main argument was "I HAVE BUILT A PROCESSOR THEREFORE I KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT". Later, I took the same class he did and the "Processor" that was built had no decision making capabilities and barely had any sort of memory.

The problem with his argument is there is a great amount of resources that can be used to boost a processor or can be used in combination with a processor (What's the name of that project that asks you to donate processor speed when idle?) but you are correct, a video card, unless modified can not be a processor.

On that note, Our Network engineer is that type of guy who just gives one word answers and acts like an ass...so i know the feeling

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Cogman

Seriously, one guy tried to tell me that a Nvidia graphics card would one day become the CPU and that it already has the ability to run as a computers CPU. I tried to explain to him that it did not contain general processors and his main argument was "I HAVE BUILT A PROCESSOR THEREFORE I KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT".

Actually, experimental work has already been done to use GPUs for general purpose computing:

link

Whether it becomes common in industry is another question.