I think the quarantine made drivers worse

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
People were already pretty shitty at driving so I was surprised the bar could be lowered but I think it has been. Staying home for so long seems to have removed what little ability there was to do things like pay attention, read signs and park vehicles

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I dunno. Atlanta area was always terrible, but these last few months have been much better...even now that people are out and about again. Still see some bozos every day, but it's not as bad as it used to be.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Lot of folks are very frustrated and angry plus have been cooped up for quite awhile in many cases.

Combine that with cars that have been sitting un-driven ... remember many (most?) people never even check their tire-pressure?

Then mix in the people who got used to light traffic during the lockdown and are flying as if it still was light....

:rolleyes:

At least keep your mobility scooter off the highway!

He's stayin in the left lane an thers not a dang thing you kin do bout it!

;)

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I dunno. Atlanta area was always terrible, but these last few months have been much better...even now that people are out and about again. Still see some bozos every day, but it's not as bad as it used to be.

Interestingly, my cousing got married in Atlanta today.

Reactions: Captante
Nov 8, 2012
People were already pretty shitty at driving so I was surprised the bar could be lowered but I think it has been. Staying home for so long seems to have removed what little ability there was to do things like pay attention, read signs and park vehicles

No - but the quarantine definitely did get people to drink more....

So... maybe that's what you're seeing?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I had this same conversation with someone on Thursday because I had to run to 4 different stores and definitely noticed that people are even worse at driving now. I was nearly pulled into 3 different times by people who simply didn't have the right of way and were turning on a red or stop sign as if I wasn't in the lane they pulled into. One of them just inched out but didn't go and nearly hit me but thankfully I could pull into the left lane next to me since no one was in it.

Reactions: Captante

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, that sounds about right. People aren't driving as much, and are getting distracted by having to find their mask before leaving the car and whatnot.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The worst driver I've seen this week was an Arizona state trooper. U.S. Highway 60 from Globe, AZ to Springerville is two lanes, windy, with long, steep grades. Many of the grades have a passing lane added in the up hill direction. The highway is the main drag from the Phoenix and Tucson areas to the White Mountains, a popular destination for escaping the summer heat. Yesterday (Friday) afternoon the trooper, we'll call him Officer Assponcho, decided that it would be fun to drive ten miles per hour below the speed limit on the two lane stretches and drive exactly the speed limit on the stretches with passing lanes, basically daring people to pass him, all the way from Globe to Springerville, 134 miles. He singlehandedly turned the generally busy Friday traffic into a clusterfuck.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
The worst driver I've seen this week was an Arizona state trooper. U.S. Highway 60 from Globe, AZ to Springerville is two lanes, windy, with long, steep grades. Many of the grades have a passing lane added in the up hill direction. The highway is the main drag from the Phoenix and Tucson areas to the White Mountains, a popular destination for escaping the summer heat. Yesterday (Friday) afternoon the trooper, we'll call him Officer Assponcho, decided that it would be fun to drive ten miles per hour below the speed limit on the two lane stretches and drive exactly the speed limit on the stretches with passing lanes, basically daring people to pass him, all the way from Globe to Springerville, 134 miles. He singlehandedly turned the generally busy Friday traffic into a clusterfuck.

Hahahaha.
Someone should have taken one for the team.

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
In SoCal people are driving the same as always. As bad as that has always been, it isn't any worse. It's possible y'all are just seeing what you want to see. Or, maybe the rarified air up on those pedestals you have built for yourselves is affecting your perception.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I guess everyone's desperate to get all the dead bodies out of their houses that have been piling up for months?

What're you doing out this weekend, Ex?

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I guess everyone's desperate to get all the dead bodies out of their houses that have been piling up for months?

What're you doing out this weekend, Ex?

That's actually my situation. Went out today and bought a sledgehammer, steel digging bar, and some nylon string. I was looking for a post hole digger, but couldn't find any. Got a lot of digging to do, very soon...

Mar 11, 2004
I agree, OP. The little bit I've been out driving I've seen multiple "WTF are you thinking?!?" moments from other drivers. Can only imagine what I'll see when I get back to work full time (spend a lot of time on the road).

I'm surprised. While probably not the same exact section, but on the highway in that general area when we were moving down, people were fucking flying. This fucking school bus ran past me like I was standing still (I was towing a trailer so wasn't going the speed limit, but wasn't going that slow). It was empty, but still. And there were cops (not sure if highway patrol or county) and they were flying and not giving a fuck about people driving well over the speed limit.

Honestly, after living in rural areas, they're shittier drivers than city drivers even. I've had to swerve onto shoulders because hi-po decided that going up a hill was a good time to pass, so they were in the opposite lane as they were cresting the hill. And constantly had to deal with people that couldn't maintain speed (I don't care if you drive fast or slow as long as you're not constantly bouncing between the two so that I can either let you pass or pass you). And there's plenty of shitty city drivers, but per capita rural ones are worse.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I really enjoyed early quarantine driving. Was so nice to have empty roads.
Tell me about it! I made my NJ to NC trek about a month ago in 7 hours. My wife went back to NJ yesterday, and it took her 11 hours. I know I drive fast, but summer traffic is back with a vengeance!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I have to say it's kinda nice to have less overall traffic. I actually find the air feels more fresh these days too. I never really realized that even in this small city there was enough traffic to affect the air quality. The air almost smells like the forest at times, it's a breath of fresh air. Imagine if we moved off fossil fuel and to green energy, it would be like that everywhere all the time.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
They are certainly worse than ever. Goes along with the overall complete insanity which has become the new normal.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I know that people have been speeding like crazy with the lighter traffic. Access controlled roads go nuts. Surface roads there are some crazies.