I think the design team took this a little too far

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
I think the logitech performance MX is the best mouse ever made except for two problems, the battery life is terrible and they are discontinued. I can live with the battery life so I bought a few of them, but I'm on my last one. Apparently the resellers realize this as they are listed for 350 bucks on Wallmart.com :eek:.

I had an MX1000 back in the day, it was way better than the performance MX, at least in the battery dept. The sensor on the performance MX is better since it can track shiny surfaces.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I have one of these, it came out like 6 years ago. Side buttons stopped working but it was a pretty nice mouse. I was still playing MMO's some at the time and I liked it for PVP in WoW, but switched back to a regular deathadder after it broke because I wasn't really playing MMO's anymore.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
i got a roccat Tyon for the extra buttons
MD-14896_20160106104703_0ab058273195e3d4.jpg

2 extra LMB are dpi, 2 extra RMB are assignable, the paddle under the scroll wheel left/right push for more actions, the paddle on the thumb buttons is L/R scroll, and the paddle under the thumb is a shift for alt functions on all the buttons. naturally i barely use any of them because it gets too complicated to remember. the Leadr is the wireless version.
argb for those inclined.

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I think the logitech performance MX is the best mouse ever made except for two problems, the battery life is terrible and they are discontinued. I can live with the battery life so I bought a few of them, but I'm on my last one. Apparently the resellers realize this as they are listed for 350 bucks on Wallmart.com :eek:.

5df16a7d-ce92-43ed-9594-8325a606c14d_1.9055eb53ab1d5656528cc0cefc0bb132.jpeg
I don't know that I'd call the battery life "terrible", but yeah, it is significantly worse than most other wireless mice I've used. Swapping the battery once a month when it was my daily driver wasn't a big deal.
You left out the BIGGEST problem, the high pitched whine that has relegated mine to living room mouse. I like it quiet when I work, and it makes that shrill "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" every time I move it.
Allegedly it's 11.5KHz, which is the speed the laser oscillates at. Guess not everyone can hear it, and despite all the rock shows I went to without earplugs in my youth, I can still hear it :(

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I don't know that I'd call the battery life "terrible", but yeah, it is significantly worse than most other wireless mice I've used. Swapping the battery once a month when it was my daily driver wasn't a big deal.
You left out the BIGGEST problem, the high pitched whine that has relegated mine to living room mouse. I like it quiet when I work, and it makes that shrill "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" every time I move it.
Allegedly it's 11.5KHz, which is the speed the laser oscillates at. Guess not everyone can hear it, and despite all the rock shows I went to without earplugs in my youth, I can still hear it :(
I'm actually using my MX from 10 years ago as my work mouse. Battery lasts about a week, but I put it in the cradle on Friday when I leave.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'm actually using my MX from 10 years ago as my work mouse. Battery lasts about a week, but I put it in the cradle on Friday when I leave.
Hm, mine didn't come with a cradle. When the battery gets low, I just put a different rechargeable AA in it and charge the other one. Got mine in 2018.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Ah, yes, different mouse than the Performance MX.
I know my old Logitech G7 had pretty bad battery life, it was good for maybe a week.

This looks like it's the replacement for the performance mx? It looks kind of clunky.

Logitech-MX-Master-3.jpg

Mar 11, 2004
You can swap any AA rechargeable into the MX and it makes a big difference in battery life. Its still not great, but you can easily either swap batteries or have a micro USB charging it.

Honestly the bigger issue is the annoying click issues that plague Logitech mice from around that time. I have 3, one of the small laptop ones (that looks like the MX styling), the MX Performance, and then a wired one that has similar shape to the MX. All of them developed the issue where it'll sometimes register a click as a double click. Weirdly on the MX it comes an goes for no apparent reason. The other two I wasn't able to fix so I stopped using them.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
All of them developed the issue where it'll sometimes register a click as a double click. Weirdly on the MX it comes an goes for no apparent reason. The other two I wasn't able to fix so I stopped using them.

Weird .... I have several older MX-510's, an MX-710 and an original MX-518 none of which have developed that issue. Maybe I'm just easier on my mice then you .... IME Logitech stuff is pretty much bulletproof.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I always seem to end up with button issues. I mostly use Logitech, so I can't say anyone else is better. Currently using a generic mouse that came with my last computer. Pretty unsexy, but it works. I don't really game anymore, so I don't have a lot of use for extra buttons. I do know I hate laser mice. They're too sensitive, and random crud easily dicks up the works.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Logitech G604

I tried one of these a few weeks ago ... not nearly as many buttons as some of the above but still quite a few compared to normal gaming mice.

I REALLY wanted to like it because it was handy having those side buttons there to program but I found that in order to use any but the lower row front and rear side-buttons made my wrist sore.

The other annoying (but not deal-breaking by itself) was that the right mouse button is super-sensitive which makes it nearly impossible to pick up the mouse to relocate without clicking it. I found this compounded the sore-wrist too by preventing my pinky/ring-finger from resting on the mouse.

Swapped it out for the updated MX-518 corded mouse and am much happier. (virtually identical to the original with better switch's and sensor)

I am still holding onto my G500s for dear life. I tried the newer ones and the right-click being too sensitive is a huge issue for me. Just browsing sites my middle finger rests on it and it would still click. The replacement they sent had the same issue. The G604 you linked looks like it has at least the buttons of the G500s so I wouldn't have an issue with that, but I just can't deal with any of their newer sensitive mice.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I am still holding onto my G500s for dear life. I tried the newer ones and the right-click being too sensitive is a huge issue for me. Just browsing sites my middle finger rests on it and it would still click. The replacement they sent had the same issue. The G604 you linked looks like it has at least the buttons of the G500s so I wouldn't have an issue with that, but I just can't deal with any of their newer sensitive mice.

For me they are borderline-unusable. :(

The MX-510 (wireless) and the MX-518 both also have a narrow ridge on the outside of the right button which provide a solid resting spot for those fingers... most of the newer designs seem to have done away with this feature.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I always seem to end up with button issues. I mostly use Logitech, so I can't say anyone else is better. Currently using a generic mouse that came with my last computer. Pretty unsexy, but it works. I don't really game anymore, so I don't have a lot of use for extra buttons. I do know I hate laser mice. They're too sensitive, and random crud easily dicks up the works.
I finally got tired of Logitech button issues, so I got a Razer. It has Bluetooth or USB dongle connectivity; the Bluetooth connection can be rough, but the USB dongle is hard to get working, and sometimes fails randomly. :( But its buttons are still working well.