I think my 7970 is DOA :/

ckelly

Jan 6, 2010
Hey all,

I put my new Sapphire 7970 in my system (x58) and 27" Cinema Display and powered on...

and got no picture.

I've tried both mini-DP ports and the HDMI to my TV, to no avail (I don't have a DVI display at my disposal). I don't even get a boot screen while the machine is booting. The fan on the card is powered up and running, and I can see the card in the device manager (I have a second workstation card installed to use windows at the same time), but the "Resources" tab says "This Device isn't using any resources because it has a problem"

After re-seating, swapping PCI-E slots (First and Second, verified both are functional with the workstation card), toggling the BIOS switch on the card, installing the CD and web-based drivers, and replacing the PCI-E power cable, I am out of ideas. Anyone have any other troubleshooting options I can try, or should I call it DOA and submit an RMA?

Thanks in advance!

(posted over at [H] too...)

Panopticon

Dec 27, 2011
Are you using a 6 pin and 8 (or 6+2) or are you using a molex to pcie adapter.
Also what psu are you using?

ckelly

Jan 6, 2010
chalking it up to bad luck, already boxed up for RMA. Better luck with the next one, I hope :)

Last edited:

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Could just need a BIOS update for the mobo. I'm not always seeing the initial BIOS screens from my motherboard. It seems like half the time it's past POST by the time anything shows up on my monitor.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Could just need a BIOS update for the mobo. I'm not always seeing the initial BIOS screens from my motherboard. It seems like half the time it's past POST by the time anything shows up on my monitor.

I was thinking the same thing. Tom from OC3D talks about some PCIe 2.0 boards needing a BIOS flash in this review. http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/his_hd7970_crossfire_eyefinity_review/17

I should be getting my 7970 today, so I'll have to see if it works on my relatively old X58 board. /fingers crossed

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
chalking it up to bad luck, already boxed up or RMA. Better luck with the next one, I hope :)

I poured a forty on the floor in memory. Why do the good ones always die young :p

Hope the next one is a OCing Beast! :D

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Congrats to all you beta testers. ;). I loved my 4850 when I bought it, and it did always work for me at least, but generally from what I've seen a brand new card on a brand new process is not for the person who wants something that "just works".

ckelly

Jan 6, 2010
I was thinking the same thing. Tom from OC3D talks about some PCIe 2.0 boards needing a BIOS flash in this review. http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/his_hd7970_crossfire_eyefinity_review/17

I should be getting my 7970 today, so I'll have to see if it works on my relatively old X58 board. /fingers crossed

Interesting. I'm currently up to date, so hopefully MSI is on the case if this is indeed an issue.

I poured a forty on the floor in memory. Why do the good ones always die young :p

Hope the next one is a OCing Beast! :D

Thanks. Here's hoping as well!

Lava_Fish

Jan 2, 2012
Hey all,

I put my new Sapphire 7970 in my system (x58) and 27" Cinema Display and powered on...

and got no picture.

I've tried both mini-DP ports and the HDMI to my TV, to no avail (I don't have a DVI display at my disposal). I don't even get a boot screen while the machine is booting. The fan on the card is powered up and running, and I can see the card in the device manager (I have a second workstation card installed to use windows at the same time), but the "Resources" tab says "This Device isn't using any resources because it has a problem"

After re-seating, swapping PCI-E slots (First and Second, verified both are functional with the workstation card), toggling the BIOS switch on the card, installing the CD and web-based drivers, and replacing the PCI-E power cable, I am out of ideas. Anyone have any other troubleshooting options I can try, or should I call it DOA and submit an RMA?

Thanks in advance!

(posted over at [H] too...)

I have a 2500k on an Asus p8z68-v gen3 mobo.

The behavior you describe matches what happens on my system if I don't disable the integrated video before plugging in the 7970s. And disabling the IV in BIOS wasn't obvious to me because they hid it by named it something that only seemed to apply to the third PCIe slot. So I had to set the third PCIe slot to 1x to enable the first two slots for my 7970 SLI to get any video output with the cards installed.

I suspect the same sort of thing may happen if you don't remove any other video drivers before installation.

ETA: Rereading your post, you can see the card in your device manager. This suggests that there is some video driver you need to disable to enable your 7970 to work. I can totally be wrong, but the manual that came with my 7970 said to disable all other video drivers and integrated video prior to installation.

Last edited: