I think I've got the flu

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

daggerr

Jun 4, 2007
Yeah, I had the flu too. I started popping zinc as soon as I started to feel even a little bit off (because people around me had been sick). Granted, this is only a single anecdote, but I seemed to get over it faster than others (and zinc has been shown to help in studies). I'd recommend plenty of fluids and zinc.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Originally posted by: daggerr
Yeah, I had the flu too. I started popping zinc as soon as I started to feel even a little bit off (because people around me had been sick). Granted, this is only a single anecdote, but I seemed to get over it faster than others (and zinc has been shown to help in studies). I'd recommend plenty of fluids and zinc.

damn my multivitamin has iron, but not zinc.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
Originally posted by: homercles337
Originally posted by: lyssword
My roommate is sick, his friends are all sick, now I'm sick. My throat is killing me, throat lozenges aren't doing shit, and the only peace I can find is in a can of microwaveable Campbell's Tomato Soup.

:(

ATOT is not your blog. I do not care how you feel.

Asshole

Are you going to blog about me too? :roll:

We don't care how you feel either :p

Good. I would expect the same from EVERYONE at ATOT. Again ATOT is NOT your blog. Take your stupid shit to your blog and leave us be.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: lyssword
My roommate is sick, his friends are all sick, now I'm sick. My throat is killing me, throat lozenges aren't doing shit, and the only peace I can find is in a can of microwaveable Campbell's Tomato Soup.

ATOT is not your blog. I do not care how you feel.

Asshole

Are you going to blog about me too? :roll:

We don't care how you feel either :p

Good. I would expect the same from EVERYONE at ATOT. Again ATOT is NOT your blog. Take your stupid shit to your blog and leave us be.

Wooooow. Nobody is forcing you to read this. Consider anger management...

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I checked into a Prompt Care today and came up positive for strep throat.

Bleh.

Sucks too because today was almost 70 degrees out. Last thing I wanted to was lay inside on the couch after this miserable ass winter we've had.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
About a week ago, I was telling my roommate that there seems to be some big flu thing going around the whole country. I had said that was weird since I don't know anyone who is sick here. Of course, he then gets sick a day or two later. But he was only real sick for a couple of days then got better midway through the week.

I thought I might catch it, but it's been several days and he is mostly better and I'm fine still. Whew, I hope.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I recently went though what could be described as flu like symptoms, although I don't think it was full on influenza because it was over in 4-5 days. Flu last much longer.

High fever? check.
Muscle/body aches? check.
Total loss of appetite? check.
Hot/chill spells and heavy sweating? check - although probably because of the fever.

Like anything else the best thing you can do is tons of rest/sleep and fluids - like 2 or 3 times normal. Don't do anything but rest/sleep and it will be over soon. If you push yourself you'll only prolong it and possibly bring on other ailments. Tylenol for the fever, 16-18 hours of sleep a day and a few gallons of fluids and you'll be over it.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I just got over mine. It was the worst flu I remember in years. It knocked me out for 3 days. I took Tamiflu and it worked great. You need to take it within the first 48 hours of the flu for the maximum effectiveness. It's about $100 for 10 pills but it's good stuff.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

at least take some ibuprofen or something. :(

feel better soon!

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
I woke up this morning with the sore throat from hell. Went to school, and even with a jacket on I was shivering all day, at that point I knew I was fucked.

Tried eating and heaved it back; so now I'm slurping down some OJ, large doses of Ibuprofen and some cough syrup shit we've got here. This is terrible, barely have the ability to stand up, all my energy is totally and fully drained.

I thought I was safe, as I hadn't gotten it yet and everyone else recovered. Wrong. =/

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Agh, I slept through Chem II yesterday, slept in for Bio I, and skipped my chem lab. I think I'm going to go to student health services and make sure it's just the flu and not something else; my head is bumpin and Advil/Tylenol didn't do anything, maybe I need to smoke the stickiest of the icky with my boy Rick James.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
WTF? I went to the doc today, ran a flu test twice and both were negative. He said my cough sounded congested, and the mucus + my asthma basically means I've got bronchitis. What the hell, this sucks...

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
WTF? I went to the doc today, ran a flu test twice and both were negative. He said my cough sounded congested, and the mucus + my asthma basically means I've got bronchitis. What the hell, this sucks...

Yeah, it does. I've had it twice. I think Zythromax (sp?) is the typical prescription.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Did you get antibiotics? You're going to have a hacking cough for a few weeks. How green is your phlegm?

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: irishScott

Yeah, it does. I've had it twice. I think Zythromax (sp?) is the typical prescription.

Yup, Zithromax, 250 mg x 2 x 3 days. He refilled my albuterol prescription and gave me an Advair sample too.

Originally posted by: KLin
Did you get antibiotics? You're going to have a hacking cough for a few weeks. How green is your phlegm?

I hope not; it's only slightly green, actually I'd be hard pressed to call it green now...

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Bummer ... back when I smoked I used to get bronchitis like twice a year & its no fun.

If its not noticably improved within a couple days of finishing the Z-Pack(s) be sure to call the doc for another round ... it can be very a very stubborn infection.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Using concrete empirical evidence, I've made a definitive scientific conclusion about my bronchitis.
The last time I got bronchitis, it was after playing an hour long soccer game in the rain. I was in bed for a week, on a nebulizer, two inhalers (asmanex and advair), another pill steroid, and good old Zithromax.
I played two hours of flag football in the cold on Thursday night. Friday I woke up with a sore throat, Saturday a runny nose, and Sunday a bangin' headache and a nasty cough.

Me + Sports + Cold or Rain = Bronchitis

Great :roll: