Question I think I've created a chicken/egg scenario with my new Synology NAS

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
I just purchased and configured a 4 bay NAS with 2x16TB disks. This device is being used to migrate data off of an existing RAID 0 8TB array in my server. I have since configured the NAS as RAID 0 (don't need redundancy for this data) and have migrated the data over.

Ideally, I'd like to still use the 2x4TB drives in the NAS...however, I'm at a loss for how best to do this now since the initial Storage Pool is RAID 0, and creating a secondary Storage Pool with the 2x4TB drives will result in a filesystem that's too small to backup the data from the existing storage pool -- my thought was to create an SHR storage pool with the 2x4TB drives, migrate data over, add 2x16TB drives to the new SHR storage pool...however I'd be ~2TB short of available storage to make that work.

Have I completely screwed myself in this situation?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
copy the data back to the 2x4 setup and then start with a single 8tb drive to move things to it w/o using raid.

once you do that you can take 1 4+8TB and make a raid 0 from it and copy the data from the single 8tb drive to it. then you can make the 2nd raid 0 4+8TB and replicate it to that as well if I'm picking up on what you're thinking.

Gives you 12TB R0 x 2

Then you can repurpose or put one of the arrays into the old enclosure for backups. Or you can up the disk size on the new enclosure to expand further.