I think I'm going to get some Lasik done...

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Just sold some stock options, so I have some cash.

My glasses/contacts are really starting to bug me.

My vision is only -2.00 in both eyes.

Time to start shopping around, I guess.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I just had my consultation done and have my surgery scheduled for april 8th.

I would suggest finding a place that uses Wavefront technology, it is the newer technology that can better correct your vision.

-Ameesh

Ogg

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2003
Yeah theres some threads from just a month or so ago too ..............

My wife had the new wavefront tech blahblah done over xmas and now has no lingering blurriness and 20/20 vision. She was blind as a bat just 2 months ago.:D

I think the coolest part is when they suction cut your cornea to open it up and you immediately go blind........everything turns black.
Ohh :scary;. Thats what she told me anyway.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
I had it done last month, about 3 weeks ago. I got the wavefront. I can now see 20/20, still have a tiny bit of halo in my right eye, but A LOT better than right after the surgery, so I know and hope once my eyes are completely healed, it will be gone. good luck, and the worst outcome will be that you might still need glasses along with some halo and you wasted your money. Ask yourself if you can live with this risk, if yes, then go for it!

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: Shockwave
Whats the chance of catastrophic failure and permanent eye damage?

Still too high imho

Depends on the doctor doing it.

One of my clients was confident enough with LASIK to do it on both his kids.

I asked him about wavefront and he said in most cases it's still better to do traditional LASIK, as Wavefront is better for only certain cases.

Since he's pretty much "ophthalmologist to the stars" I'm going to have to take his word for it.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: Shockwave
Whats the chance of catastrophic failure and permanent eye damage?

Still too high imho
Based on what? It's infinitesimal, from what I've seen. Hell, I know a guy who got it done int he late 80's when it was just a scalpel. he got it done for free because his doc had not done one before (nuts, I know). he can still see!

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Ogg
Yeah theres some threads from just a month or so ago too ..............

My wife had the new wavefront tech blahblah done over xmas and now has no lingering blurriness and 20/20 vision. She was blind as a bat just 2 months ago.:D

I think the coolest part is when they suction cut your cornea to open it up and you immediately go blind........everything turns black.
Ohh :scary;. Thats what she told me anyway.

oh yea I remember the sucking part, actually I think they press down the device to make the flop. They popped one of my right eye's tiny blood vessels. I guess this is sorta common, the redness is slowly going away. I dont know about you, but once my eyes are pressed, everything looks blurry, I can't see sh*t! Keep in mind that, you have to keep looking at the red blinding light while the laser is zapping your eye's tissue away. I think I moved my eyes a few times trying to search for the red blinding light while the laser was going. I am not sure how this eye movement affected my outcome, since I now have 20/20, who knows, I might have 20/15 if I didn't move my eyes. I hope I am helping some of you, because when I asked about lasik here last month, I didnt get much reply.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Go for it. Everyone who gets it done loves it, and most of them can still see.
LOL! that's why I'll stick with my coke bottles for a while longer :)

Pex

Banned
Aug 21, 2003
i want to get it done but they recommened you be at least 24-26. im only 21. my sister said the machine can track your eye now so you can actually move it around a bit during surgery and everything is done by the computer.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I would kill to have vision that was correctable to 20/20 with just glasses/contacts.

Personally I wouldn't take the risk, especially considering there's suspicions that lasik can trigger the problems that I have (keratoconus).

Viper GTS

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
blingular baby!!

some doctors report less than 1/20,000 of their cases are failure, (meaning no vision improvment, also imply catastrophic results)

but the real rate of "complications" (night vision/halos) is supposedly around 3% but they keep hush on those numbers because if your vision improves even a little it's a "success"

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
blingular baby!!

some doctors report less than 1/20,000 of their cases are failure, (meaning no vision improvment, also imply catastrophic results)

but the real rate of "complications" (night vision/halos) is supposedly around 3% but they keep hush on those numbers because if your vision improves even a little it's a "success"
Still, i think that those 3% of people would say they'd take a hit on night vision to not have to wear glasses again...

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
A UW Medical School program on local access cable here had complications listed at 2 - 3%, but some of them are correctable with another trip under the lightknife.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
Go for it. Everyone who gets it done loves it, and most of them can still see.
LOL! that's why I'll stick with my coke bottles for a while longer :)

Exactly...Poor vision that is correctable with contacts vs small chance at blindness or really crappy eyesight...Nope, not for me

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
night vision or halos, means you would not be able to drive at night. someone would have to drive you around. because glasses can't correct something like that.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
blingular baby!!

Still, i think that those 3% of people would say they'd take a hit on night vision to not have to wear glasses again...

And anyone who has to live with halos/ghosting/etc at night will tell you those people are nuts.

Driving at night was positively terrifying before I got my contacts, & is still quite difficult at times.

Viper GTS

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: yamahaXS
do it yourself and save $6000!

$6000!!! Jesus! Where did you get yours done?

What are we talking about cost-wise. I was under the impression it was $500-$1000 per eye. Am I wrong?