I think I have Mono :(

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
After getting over my 104 degree fever, I started getting very tired (I wanna sleep whenever I have spare time). My mouth feels cut up and sore, and I can feel some glands in my neck swelling up, and it hurts to touch them. I have a sore throat as well. I went to WebMD to check it out and all the symptoms I just described match those of Mono. Has anyone here experienced it first hand? I'm getting it checked out by a doctor this week, but in the meantime I just wanted a little more info - what can I do to cope with it for now?

jamison

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2001
I am pretty sure there is nothing you can really do, except eat healthy and get on a regular sleep schedule.

As far as I know, it never goes away either, just gets better or worse for certain periods of time.

Jul 12, 2001
i had mono...it sucked...i got strep throat with it....was so bad i couldnt talk and the most i could get into my body was 1 gatorade a day...this was for about a week...was bed ridden for about 2...but then i was fine...didnt have any long term tiredness or anything like some people...

good luck....its not very fun disease at all

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Well it doesn't seem to be too severe of a case, I started with a temperature on Friday, and it's starting to subside now. My mouth feels like CRAP! I heard your mouth may feel bruised or sore...but damn, I'm having a tough time eating bread, my gums are so sore :( Other than that, it doesn't seem like I've been hit TOO bad, I hope that doesn't change, but it feels like the sickness has gotten as worse as it can get for me so far.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
:( Mono is the saddest stuff in the world. Took me out for 2 months last year

If you've got any questions about what's gonna happen to you, let me know :)

TuffGirl

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2001
Who have you been kissing?? ;)

j/k man... I hope you have a speedy recovery.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Oh....by the way, here's something someone told me

Mono is officially classified as an STD...so if you get it officially diagnosed, then every time you fill out a questionnaire and hit the "have you ever had an STD" question, then you'll have to mark yes :(

DDad

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I had it a number of years ago- as I recall, it sure sounds like you may have it.

BTW, it can be spread by more than "kissing"- water fountains, used glasses etc

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
b0mbrman, how severe were your symptoms? Like my throat is a little sore, and I'm not very tired (although I'm more tired than usual), and my fever is still wavering but not anything severe (might hit 99.x here and there). Again, the worst part about this is my gums...how common is it to experience sore gums?

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Some advice: Do not resume normal activity until you've seen a doctor. You may feel better but I've heard that relapses are VERY common and often the symptoms become much worse than they were initially.

(Just to clear something up, I've never had it) :p

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Balt - the most I've been doing is walking since I'm at school. I try to catch the shuttle to classes as often as possible, and I'm seeing a doctor on friday (it's the earliest I could get scheduled for)

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I had it a few weeks ago, It wasn't very fun.

Incubation time is 4-7 weeks, so.. think back.. ;) Symptoms are much like strep throat. swollen tonsils and lymph nodes. When I had it, I thought I had strep, so I went to the doc. Nope, I had mono. Waste of money. Don't go to the doctor if you have mono. It's a virus, theres nothing they can do about it. Sleep. :) I guess if you have insurance, theres no point in not going. ;)

It's rarely a very serious thing. It can take some people a long time to recover, but..

I was out of it and feverish for about 2 weeks. :( But symptoms subsided pretty quickly, and I was back to normal.

It is true that it never goes away- However, you don't ever become symptomatic again. The epstein-barr virus is a member of the herpes family, but it has nothing to do with cold sores or genital herpes. Once your infected, you're infected for life, and you can pass it on to others. If you go to the doc, and you do have mono, you will be diagnosed with acute infectious mononucleosis. While it is possible to spread the virus by means other than kissing, its really only feasable during the weeks that you're sick. Once the virus becomes dormant, it inhabits so few cells, that it takes some major saliva swapping to spread it.

I don't think mono is considered an STD. 95% of the worlds population has the epstein-barr virus. You can become infected as a baby- when this happens, you show no symptoms. It's only if you become infected as a teenager that it gives you a hard time.

I never had anything with my gums, but my throat sure did hurt like hell. I couldn't eat anything for about 2 days because it was so swollen, and hurt so bad. It makes your lymph system freak out, and swell up.. lol. In about 50 percent of cases, you will have a swollen spleen. I did, and he told me to not do any contact sports for at least 2 months. He went onto explain about this lady who had mono, and an enlarged spleen.. went home and fell down some stairs, and it ruptured. She didn't die, but how aweful. :Q

It's not really a big deal. You don't have anything to worry about, just rest and drink plenty of fluids.. I took mad tylenol for the fever.. It was the strangest sickness I've ever had, thats for sure.. lol.

tsunek

Jan 24, 2002
Its viral so there isn't much you can do. Just drink a lot of fluids(same with just about anything). Keep in touch your physician. Take it easy

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Thanks guys, I guess the most I can do is just rest up and hope for the best... I'm just feeling crappy since this couldn't have come at a worse time =/

Again, thanks fot the insight :)

Instan00dles

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2001
I went to the doctors once because I though I had mono, he just told me I am lazy. I didnt get any days off school for that either =(

keystroker

May 19, 2001
dude you have my blessings i had mono in sept-november. the bad stuff is the first week you have it but then after you wont be able to wake up or anything. I couldn't swallow anything for 3 days it hurt when i tried to swallow my saliva i thought i was dieing. i missed 32 days of high school, i'm pretty sure it is out of my system now. I haven't fornicated with any girls lately either :). I wonder what stopped me from shooting my gf i'm pretty sure she gave it to me at the time everyone else thought that also but she said she never had mono and never showed a symtom when i was around her.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

<< b0mbrman, how severe were your symptoms? Like my throat is a little sore, and I'm not very tired (although I'm more tired than usual), and my fever is still wavering but not anything severe (might hit 99.x here and there). Again, the worst part about this is my gums...how common is it to experience sore gums? >>

I had a sore throat for a few weeks and found it just kept me from doing normal things with as much energy as I'd like--totally similar to the flu

After that, the stomach problems, nausea and loads of coughing started...There was nothing I could do at that point but stay bedridden for most of the day...

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Now I'm worried :eek: I'm wondering if what I'm feeling now is just the calm before the storm...I have a very mild sore throat...I'll be keeping an eye on that to see if it gets any worse...