I think I have a Poltergeist...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That said, I cannot say with absolute certainty that your issues stem from overclocking, only that it "fits the pattern" of an overclock, pushed hard, and degrading.

It could well be ESD, especially if your environment is rife with that.

Or, it could be issues re-mounting the cooler, maybe it's not attached all the way and throttling.

Or, it could be issues with updated drivers and OS components.

But, have you given it a shot, testing at stock speeds, without the OC? Or is that idea so totally foreign to you, that you wouldn't even attempt it.

Another possibility, if your OS is on SSD, that you are witnessing performance issues with "well used" SSDs. Their performance when used tends to be slower and more inconsistent than when new and fresh.

If you are going to re-format, I recommend doing a Secure Erase (manually, using Linux), and then idling your rig for an hour, and then doing the re-install.

Edit: Aside from the possibility that the "stuttering" that you've seen is due to a worn SSD. (Easy enough to test, buy a new one and slap it in, and see if it still "stutters".)... clearly, if this has happened to the last three rigs that you've built, then the issue revolves around YOU somehow, or your environment, and not the parts in question. Whether that's ESD, or something else (your overclocking "style", and how much you limit or don't limit your overclocks), I don't know.

I do hope that you get it figured out, and find some closure. But you'll have to keep your mind open, and I think, stop dismissing the overclocking as not the issue. Because, IMHO, it could well be.

Last edited:

Crescendo

Sep 30, 2014
Let me just state for the record, degradation due to overclocking is very real, I've seen it. Especially if you push things "hard". Well, mostly that. "Mild" overclocks can generally last for a long time. Those being overclocks where you don't really push the voltage or temps.

I take a calculated risk with my overclocks. With my Skylake rigs, I'm pushing it somewhat, but if it burns out, or acts funny, I'm fully prepared to purchase a replacement CPU.

Degradation is real when overclocking but not the way you make it sound... Degradation happens over time it doesn't happen overnight, if a slightly overclocked CPU thats kept well within temp limits and voltage limits fails within a year then I'm chalking that up to a faulty processor and I'm not paying $330 out of my pocket to replace it, if Intel can't make a CPU capable for being slightly overclocked without failing then they shouldn't be producing K series CPU's with overclocking as a primary feature. I've overclocked every piece of hardware I've ever owned for the last 14 years and I've never had a part prematurely die on me. Case and point, I've never heard of a CPU or GPU failing from a slight overclock when Temps and Voltages were in check, so I'm going to have to disagree with you.

Crescendo

Sep 30, 2014
You need to realize, that if mfg'rs were confident enough that those parts would last for the warranty period, at those speeds, then they would have sold them at those speeds, stock.

There's a reason that this hobby is called OVERclocking. It's not because companies are somehow universally stupid, and giving people (guaranteed) performance for free.

I feel like you seem to think that just because you purchased parts with "overclocking in mind", that you are seemingly entitled to your higher (or highest) speeds, without any risks or negative repercussions. I think that you're young, and mistaken.

Funny thing is you're sitting here accusing me of unsafely overclocking my equipment to the point in which I might have caused hardware failure when my GPU and CPU havn't even been overclocked for the past month and overclocking didn't even cause this issue. This is the second topic that you've been in of mine where you've pointed fingers and not read the original post and disregarded any information provided to try and blame me with zero hesitation, then you go on to call me "young" what is the even supposed to mean? I can almost bet I'm as old if not older than you based off of your maturity level and inability to read and comprehend what people have posted to actually give them helpful advice. Yes if I purchased a CPU and/or GPU with overclocking as the main staple to that product and spent 100's of extra dollars on that product I feel I'm entitled to a slight overclock and/or boost in my hardwares performance, I am not "entitled" to a specific performance gain but there is a certain level of expectation that comes with the parts you purchase, if that part fails from a minor overclock when kept in reasonable voltage and temperature ranges then I think that's the fault of the company and not the user, theres a pretty universal guideline on safe overclocking measures to take to ensure you don't harm your components in the process. This isn't 10 years ago where a bad overclock can brick your components theres plenty of safegaurds and fail safes to ensure that doesn't happen. Based off the things you say I don't even feel you have enough knowledge on the subject to be pointing fingers so maybe you should educate yourself before you try to help others.

I don't know what you're trying to get at here but I don't think anyone will agree with you that a 100mhz overclock on a GPU caused a hardware malfunction likewise with the CPU. Normally when that happens you get Driver errors and/or artifacting. Ontop of that you act like you're so sure my issue is even CPU and/or GPU related when that's not even concrete, it could be any number of components causing this issue. I honestly think you just like to argue and put people down, if that's all you intend to do in my threads then just stop responding to them, everyone else has been very helpful without being an ass so I don't need your negative criticism.

Crescendo

Sep 30, 2014
That said, I cannot say with absolute certainty that your issues stem from overclocking, only that it "fits the pattern" of an overclock, pushed hard, and degrading.

It could well be ESD, especially if your environment is rife with that.

Or, it could be issues re-mounting the cooler, maybe it's not attached all the way and throttling.

Or, it could be issues with updated drivers and OS components.

But, have you given it a shot, testing at stock speeds, without the OC? Or is that idea so totally foreign to you, that you wouldn't even attempt it.

Another possibility, if your OS is on SSD, that you are witnessing performance issues with "well used" SSDs. Their performance when used tends to be slower and more inconsistent than when new and fresh.

If you are going to re-format, I recommend doing a Secure Erase (manually, using Linux), and then idling your rig for an hour, and then doing the re-install.

Edit: Aside from the possibility that the "stuttering" that you've seen is due to a worn SSD. (Easy enough to test, buy a new one and slap it in, and see if it still "stutters".)... clearly, if this has happened to the last three rigs that you've built, then the issue revolves around YOU somehow, or your environment, and not the parts in question. Whether that's ESD, or something else (your overclocking "style", and how much you limit or don't limit your overclocks), I don't know.

I do hope that you get it figured out, and find some closure. But you'll have to keep your mind open, and I think, stop dismissing the overclocking as not the issue. Because, IMHO, it could well be.

Once again you didn't even bother to read the OP... Like in all my other threads, there's a pretty routine operation involved in giving someone help, you read their original post gather information from that and what others have said and the original poster has tried and then you try to offer information to further eliminate the issue. I stated in my OP that my temperatures were all very low if you had read my OP you would have seen that my CPU and GPU stay below 60c while gaming, last time I checked thermal throttling doesn't happen at 60c. I also said in my Original Post that I tested the PC without overclocks and that it was not overclocked when this happened. I also said I tried different drivers and reinstalled the OS multiple times. I also tested my SSD speeds and they are the same now as they were when it was new and I also said in the original post I tried another HDD. I don't get WHY you even offer help and criticism when you NEVER read the original post, this is why I snarked at you in my last thread because it's a big enough PITA to troubleshoot a PC problem and it's stressful enough without having to hold everyones hand in reading the original thread and get them caught up over and over, so if I seem like an asshole then I have no doubt at this point that's what I sound like. Instead of being immature and accusing me of being "young" and uneducated with building PC's maybe you should read the OP so you don't just sound like a douche.

and yeah I'm quite aware that this could be a product of my environment I already stated it could have been caused by ESD and a poltergeist lol only sense I can make of it considering I've been building PC's since the Geforce Ti 4200 was released and the only problems I've ever had were on my last 3 builds. I can however say with 100% certainty that none of this was from user error.

I'm really honestly trying not to be an ass here man, but some of the statements you made and the way you go about things just really gets me off wrong man. I appreciate you attempting to help but honestly you're just turning my thread into an argument and I don't need that.

Anyways... I formatted again took my PC apart and it's still happening PC is just overall running like garbage so I'm going to go ahead and close this thread and start the RMA process on my PC. If when all said and done the PC is still not working to my expectations I will be selling the PC on craigslist and I'll be done with PC gaming lol, was fun but they just dont make parts like they used to.

Last edited:

Crescendo

Sep 30, 2014
Ok, I knew I said I was going to close this thread and RMA but I might be onto something... I tried a different monitor and the stutter went away, of course I had screen tearing from not having GSYC and only 60hz but the stutter I was getting is now gone... So yeah ROG SWIFT monitors are junk in my eyes now good thing I got the 3 year warranty on it. Probably an issue with the GSYNC chip or something.

Yeah windows is still acting slower and less responsive but that could be CPU related so at this point think I'm going to RMA the CPU, GPU and monitor and keep the motherboard.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The fact that you want to believe that your hardware problems are caused by poltergeists, rather than admit that you might have damaged your hardware, repeatedly, from overclocking says a lot about you. Along with the millennial-style entitlement mentality, that just because someone else got a 100Mhz core clock OC on your ALREADY HEAVILY FACTORY OVERCLOCKED card, that you should be able to too, and that if the hardware just won't push that hard, that you should be entitled to return it.

I will give you one point, though - hardware these days is harder to actually fry, as compared to 5-10 years ago. But it's still possible, and slow degradation is also a possibility that you probably shouldn't overlook.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I also tested my SSD speeds and they are the same now as they were when it was new and I also said in the original post I tried another HDD.

About this. Using a HDD rather than an SSD, could easily cause "stutter" in open-world games, and well-used SSDs, while they may show overall benchmark scores that are roughly the same as when new, they may have more uneven service times, that can also cause "stutter". Which is why I suggested Secure Erasing it.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah windows is still acting slower and less responsive but that could be CPU related

How are you measuring this? And if you constantly see the "loading" icon, something is up, it's running in the background, and it might be malware. Like bitcoin-mining malware or something. Which would certainly affect your gaming.

Crescendo

Sep 30, 2014
The fact that you want to believe that your hardware problems are caused by poltergeists, rather than admit that you might have damaged your hardware, repeatedly, from overclocking says a lot about you. Along with the millennial-style entitlement mentality, that just because someone else got a 100Mhz core clock OC on your ALREADY HEAVILY FACTORY OVERCLOCKED card, that you should be able to too, and that if the hardware just won't push that hard, that you should be entitled to return it.

I will give you one point, though - hardware these days is harder to actually fry, as compared to 5-10 years ago. But it's still possible, and slow degradation is also a possibility that you probably shouldn't overlook.

Bro, I don't care this isn't facebook take your **** elsewhere the purpose of this place is to help each other and discuss components not have a **** measuring contest. I obviously don't believe I have a poltergeist it's a friggin joke. You don't EVER read the original posts you never have anything constructive to add, you honestly know nothing about PC's and how they work and you're constantly starting arguments on a forum. Just don't post in my topics anymore, I clearly don't need anything you have to offer.

Furthermore I'm not returning my hardware because I can't push it I'm returning it because my PC is not operating correctly, so what? I'm supposed to bite the bullet on a $2000 PC that I built 7 months ago when I'm not at fault? Overclocking didn't cause my issue, end of story. You can say what you want to try and sound like I'm abusing RMA but bottom line is if they accept the RMA then they obviously agree with me. Infact Intel is the one who suggested I RMA the chip not me so I'm going to do it, don't try to act righteous because if your CPU crapped out on you and you were not at fault you would RMA it in a second.

I honestly disagree with every single thing you have said in this thread and I don't think you know what you're talking about. So you can continue to derail my threads with your nonsense but I will just report you to the mods and ignore you and move on.

Last edited:

Crescendo

Sep 30, 2014
About this. Using a HDD rather than an SSD, could easily cause "stutter" in open-world games, and well-used SSDs, while they may show overall benchmark scores that are roughly the same as when new, they may have more uneven service times, that can also cause "stutter". Which is why I suggested Secure Erasing it.

I'm not using a HDD I'm using an SSD I've said this about 4 times in this thread. I've tried BOTH SSD and HDD to rule out a faulty HDD. Secure Erasing is only for when you're selling a HDD and don't want any of your information to get dug up, it should not ever be required for a regular format and it should not causing conflictions, ive never ever once in my life Secure Erased a drive.

Crescendo

Sep 30, 2014
How are you measuring this? And if you constantly see the "loading" icon, something is up, it's running in the background, and it might be malware. Like bitcoin-mining malware or something. Which would certainly affect your gaming.

I'm measuring it by normal use, I could instantly tell games and everything were running much worse the moment I formatted and reseated the CPU everything got sluggish and unresponsive and games ran like crap. I've also said I've formatted my PC like 3 times since this issue has occured so it's clearly not malware or a virus. I'm not going to keep repeating myself either read my original post and the other posts in this thread or don't bother posting literally everything you have mentioned has been covered.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Have you tried not installing GPU monitoring / overclocking software? I recall reading some time ago on this forum about someone that had a similar problem, that went away when he un-installed the GPU tweaking software. Something to try, at least.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Secure Erasing is only for when you're selling a HDD and don't want any of your information to get dug up, it should not ever be required for a regular format

If you say so... but I suggest you research how an SSD works. It has a mapping table that maps host LBAs to blocks of NAND. Over time, this mapping table gets heavily fragmented. The only way I know of to reset it is a Secure Erase. Formatting from the Host system won't do it.