I smell BS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
She got bad grades in high school (D's) so the school put her on community service stuff. That means Teen Court on a 4th of July?

She got this "revalation" after reading something on her Cell Phone... probably her 21 year old boyfriend who is a loser (but makes money working for his dad). Telling her to meet up on the 4th of July.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Probably teen court, its an alternative punishment method used by a lot of places now. Basically if you are a minor and convicted of some small crime like shop lifting you go to teen court for sentencing, you have a "lawyer" who is your age, then you have a jury of your peers that decide your punishment. It's overseen by a lawyer or a judge. Unless she is the one being sentenced it is voluntary, so if she chose to volunteer she likely knew weeks in advance. I wouldn't give her the time off if she is only giving you a few hours notice. Also, you had a nervous breakdown working at a sunglass shop? No offense man but don't get so worked up about it, no one dies if you sell someone the wrong sunglasses!

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
when people threaten you and its so busy

also when im the only one working there... i'm just an assistant manager... can't really have the power to do anything

rancidcrabtree

Sep 25, 2000
Again, how busy can it be? I've never seen more than three people in one of those places. You're putting way too much thought into this. Quit worrying about the girl. Yes her story is BS. That's life. People lie. Not everything is fair. But, at the end of the day its just a job. It's not (I hope) your career. If you're working for a company that cares this little about its staff's quality of life then get the hell out.

kev

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
I've been there a month and I plan on quitting by the time I go back to school this fall. I got 3 semesters before I get my BS. I'll just sub teach during the school year

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
hahahah

i am gonna ask for documentation, because i just called up the high schools and of course nobody answered

CarlKillerMiller

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2003
It'd be nice if you called her on it, everyone laughed, and it was a great big deal which concluded with her firing, but come on.

This is ATOT. Do you guys seriously think any of this will be done? The "kick her in the throat" is just as likely as the "demand documentation".

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
I can't fire her, neither can the manager or any assistant manager. It has to come down to HR which they only hear stories about from the workers.

It's crazy working there, managers can't fire or hire, they can just recommend.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Who makes the schedule?
If it is you just schedule her for no hours or very odd ones like two hours on a tuesday afternoon, and then 30 minutes the next day.

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
Its the main manager and before she left she put us working for like 22 days in a row before she comes back next monday.

I have switched with the othe rmanager to open or close a few times, but with that other girl we can't replace her. Plus she is good terms with the other assistant

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
If you really want to see a change and have a good work record, call in sick. When they investigate why the store had to close it will be determined that your co-worker fabricated a story.

badmouse

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2003
Originally posted by: ballmode
when people threaten you and its so busy

also when im the only one working there... i'm just an assistant manager... can't really have the power to do anything
What idiot hired you as an "assistant manager"? You haven't a clue about management. Your job is to deal with things.

No offense, but you're in the wrong job. Quit immediately. You will be much happier.

All of us in management have fun stories about people's excuses. You should be enjoying the absurdity, not trying to bust somebody who is basically unbustable.

If it were me, I'd do something like give her an official-looking form that has to be filled out by whoever is in charge of her Teen Court. Then watch her squirm and lie as she tries to get it filled out, "forgets", etc. Extra points if you manage to convince her she won't be paid until the form is filled out. Then try to verify the sig, and have more fun listening to her stories.

Oh, and be sure to tell everyone at work that she's going to Teen Court on July 4th and ask her about it every time you're with someone else. Make her sick of the whole thing. Be extra nice and concerned. Smile a lot.

And on the off chance she's telling the truth, you've covered your behind.

Anyway, good luck and I hope your boss gets back soon and you get recognized for your extraordinary effort.

PS I just read what I posted and I apologize, it sounds nasty, I don't mean it that way!!! Management is important and complicated, and your bosses really shouldn't throw you into this without support. When I said "what idiot hired you" I mean that they are idiots, NOT that you are!

But hey, a job is a job. Feel free to ask for help & to complain here. It's normal to feel overwhelmed under your circumstances, and things CAN get better.

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Originally posted by: ballmode
I can't fire her, neither can the manager or any assistant manager. It has to come down to HR which they only hear stories about from the workers.

It's crazy working there, managers can't fire or hire, they can just recommend.

Honestly, what do you expect from a 17 y/o girl on a holiday. Why not ask/recommend HR to hire another person and cut her hours.