I shoplifted today.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
It was an accident. I put the item in my hoodie pocket and then noticed it about 5 hours later.

What should I do?

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
what was it?

I remember my mom put a 2$ pen in her pocket while looking at baskets at Staples and totally forgot to pay for it

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
If the item value is reasonably low(i.e. under $1), then keep it because it probably costs them more than or around that to process it's return. If it's a decent amount of cash, go and return it.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I have done this. I had put this sprout thingy into my cart and upon checking out it was hidden and out of view therefore I did not pay for it. Instead of taking it, I left it in the cart and went home.

Dec 27, 2001
I did that a few months ago. Needed a tape measure at Home Depot, so I grabbed one of the $.99 ones from a basket in the tool aisle and used it a couple times to help pick out some lumber I needed.

I got to my car and when I reached for my keys I felt the tape measure. I just walked back inside and dropped it back in the basket.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Originally posted by: MegaVovaN
Don't go, you only will be worse off.

How so? Wouldn't the store have to prove intent to steal? By attempting to return it mjuszczak would acknowledge that the whole affair was an accident and that he had no original intent to steal it, as long as he had no prior record and this was done within a reasonable time frame.

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
How could you not remember a piece of merchandise in your pocket? Dumbass. If you're that worried about it, bring it back and let them know what happened. You're conscious will be better off.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Dude, watch your back - isn't this how My Cousin Vinny started?

Go back tomorrow, tell them what happened, and pay for it. And don't be stupid in the future. ;) You pocket is not a good place to put items you intend to buy. Even if you intend to pay for them, it looks like you're shoplifting and you could probably get nailed for it.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Originally posted by: mugs
Dude, watch your back - isn't this how My Cousin Vinny started?

Go back tomorrow, tell them what happened, and pay for it. And don't be stupid in the future. ;) You pocket is not a good place to put items you intend to buy. Even if you intend to pay for them, it looks like you're shoplifting and you could probably get nailed for it.

I doubt the store met the legal requirements to get him charged with shop lifting, as they would have detained him in the store. The real issues seems to be the moral consequences rather than the legal ones.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I went to a store to pick up some stuff and got some keys duped there. I put the little baggie in my pocket and walked out and only realized I didn't pay for them when I was at my car in the parking lot. I went back in.

If I was on my way back to work I probably would've let my conscience take the blow.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
man its no big deal at all, if you REALLY have some moral problem with it then just sneak it back into the store put it where it was to begin with and nobody will ever know the difference.

I mean probably 50% of people shoplift on PURPOSE every year, so doing it one time in you life by accident is no biggie if it makes you feal better, I've probably shoplifted things in the less than $5 100 times in my life and don't have any problems sleeping at night got it, so neither should you.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
My wife and I did it at Publix once accidentally. We had a 12 pack of soda under the cart that we realized we didn't pay for as we were unloading everything into our car. We went back in a paid, they didn't give us a hard time at all.

as others have said, you didn't intend to do it so they will likely be very accommodating if you do go back and pay for it.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: BrownTown
man its no big deal at all, if you REALLY have some moral problem with it then just sneak it back into the store put it where it was to begin with and nobody will ever know the difference.

I mean probably 50% of people shoplift on PURPOSE every year, so doing it one time in you life by accident is no biggie if it makes you feal better, I've probably shoplifted things in the less than $5 100 times in my life and don't have any problems sleeping at night got it, so neither should you.

Re: bolded portion - seriously?

Re: the rest - wow.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
I almost did tonight. We were at a corner store and I almost put a soda in my pocket, sort of not realizing that holding it there is sketchy. I paid, though.

I'd go back tomorrow, give a quick explanation/apology, and give them a 5 spot if it was like a soda or something. If you think they're going to call the cops over a petty item, though, maybe you go in there, buy the same item, put down more than it costs and just leave without your change.