I Scratched Someone's Bumper Wed (3/24)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Hopefully the guy is cool and realized that you just scratched a material possession. It's not like you killed his first born son or took his daughter's virginity.....it's just a car.

edit: and calm down and eat your lunch. Stuff like this happens all the time, it's not worth getting worked up over it. Easier said than done I know ;)

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
No updates at the moment. The incident happened around 11:30AM, I last talked to the cop at around 1PM yesterday. I'm going to call the cop in about an hour to see what's going on.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Bumpers are for bumping, I don't know why anyone would get upset over a little scratch on a bumper.

KK

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Dedpuhl
This sucks.

I was in a parking lot for this plate-lunch place. As I was leaving, I was forced into a tight turn . I heard a pop. I thought it was a coke can by the noise it made. I parked and looked at my car. I saw some lines on my car. I rubbed my finger against it and they went away. I thought it was dirt or something.

There was a car right next to me, so I go to inspect his/her bumper. It was a new car, but I don't remember what it was. Anyway, I didn't see any paint damage so I left. As I'm walking away from my car, I look back and see a freakin dent and more scratches. I almost sh!t my pants. I got back in my car and raced back to the store.

The car was gone. I parked and found a sheriff's deputy that was working there. I asked if anyone reported a car hit in the lot. Someone did. I told him I did it. He didn't have the person's number, but he does have the name and address. I asked how bad the damage was. He said it looked like 2 scratches on the bumper and the paint came off. The guy said he'd go back later to fill out a report. The cop took my info and and said he would call me as soon as the guy comes back.

The deputy said the guy was cool about it. I'm hoping the guy will work with me instead of filing an insurance claim.

almost 11 years driving, 1 not-at-fault accident, then THIS!

:frown:

BTW, up close my car looks ok. At a distance, it looks screwed. The reflection makes it worse. :(

It is cool to know there are honest people like yourself in this world!!

Sysadmin

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: KK
Bumpers are for bumping, I don't know why anyone would get upset over a little scratch on a bumper.

KK

AFAIK, the guy wasn't too upset. I just want to rectify the situation without involving my insurance, his insurance or the police. I'm kinda unsure how the law is set up here for parking lots/private property.

The cop even said "I'd rather you two work it out than filing a report on this." ...I'm wondering why I haven't heard anything yet...

Rufio

Banned
Mar 18, 2003

KK

AFAIK, the guy wasn't too upset. I just want to rectify the situation without involving my insurance, his insurance or the police. I'm kinda unsure how the law is set up here for parking lots/private property.

The cop even said "I'd rather you two work it out than filing a report on this." ...I'm wondering why I haven't heard anything yet...

maybe his lawyer advised him to not contact you!

ahahahh j/k

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Rufio

KK

maybe his lawyer advised him to not contact you!

ahahahh j/k

:( not funny!

Heh, now I can't get a hold of the cop. The worrying shall continue...

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Now that you were honest, plan on having the person try to screw you over and take you for all your worth. That's what happened to my wife. Last time either of us will fess up to something like that again.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
Now that you were honest, plan on having the person try to screw you over and take you for all your worth. That's what happened to my wife. Last time either of us will fess up to something like that again.

over 2 paint scratches?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
My wife had her door blow open from the wind and caused a tiny ding in the person's door. That lady then said it had caused dents all over the car and that the whole side had to be replaced and all kinds of other crap.

We ended up telling her to deal with the insurance company. But, some people will take advantage of any possible opportunity to have you pay for things that weren't your fault just so they don't have to pay for them later.

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Very ironic thread for me personally today.

Just this morning, I was in the office walking down the hall on the way back to my office after a meeting. I saw another co-worker who's a casual work friend I'll go to lunch with sometimes waiting at my door, so I wasn't sure what she wanted to talk about at this hour as my duties rarely require working with her. As I got closer I noticed she looked a bit emotional. As she started to talk tears flooded her eyes as she told me she was so sorry, but she'd bumped into my car in the parking lot this morning when she was parking. Seeing as how she's a friend, a very sweet girl and VERY VERY pregnant I immediately told her I'm sure everything was fine. I didn't want her to get hyper stressed this far along in her pregnancy and it was obvious she had already been crying quite a bit before coming in. I went out to the parking lot and checked once I got her settled down and it was indeed fine. She hadn't quite been able to cut the corner into the parking spot next to mine and had hit one of the mud guards on my pickup and cracked it (it was hard plastic.) No big deal at all. I can order a new one for maybe $30, but I'm simply going to crazy glue it together for the time being as it was a nice, clean break. Her car's bumper had more substantial scratches on it, but nothing that couldn't be buffed out and possibly repainted for $150-$200 tops.

The even more ironic thing is that her only other wreck/incident ever had been a more substantial wreck about 8 months ago - coming home on her way home from the doctor's office after she'd just found out she was pregnant (which they had been trying to do.) Just this morning my wife woke me up to the news that she had taken a pregnancy test and it showed that SHE was pregnant. :D Very ironic timing.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Parrotheader
Very ironic thread for me personally today.

Just this morning, I was in the office walking down the hall on the way back to my office after a meeting. I saw another co-worker who's a casual work friend I'll go to lunch with sometimes waiting at my door, so I wasn't sure what she wanted to talk about at this hour as my duties rarely require working with her. As I got closer I noticed she looked a bit emotional. As she started to talk tears flooded her eyes as she told me she was so sorry, but she'd bumped into my car in the parking lot this morning when she was parking. Seeing as how she's a friend, a very sweet girl and VERY VERY pregnant I immediately told her I'm sure everything was fine. I didn't want her to get hyper stressed this far along in her pregnancy and it was obvious she had already been crying quite a bit before coming in. I went out to the parking lot and checked once I got her settled down and it was indeed fine. She hadn't quite been able to cut the corner into the parking spot next to mine and had hit one of the mud guards on my pickup and cracked it (it was hard plastic.) No big deal at all. I can order a new one for maybe $30, but I'm simply going to crazy glue it together for the time being as it was a nice, clean break. Her car's bumper had more substantial scratches on it, but nothing that couldn't be buffed out and possibly repainted for $150-$200 tops.

The even more ironic thing is that her only other wreck/incident ever had been a more substantial wreck about 8 months ago - coming home on her way home from the doctor's office after she'd just found out she was pregnant (which they had been trying to do.) Just this morning my wife woke me up to the news that she had taken a pregnancy test and it showed that SHE was pregnant. :D Very ironic timing.

Cool. It would've been that easy for me if I had seen the scratches right off the bat. I left for a total of maybe 15 minutes. By the time I got back, the guy had left. No name, phone#, address...nothing. :(

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I still haven't heard a word from the deputy, the guy, any insurance co, or anyone else. Is it normal to wait a week before taking action?

Rufio

Banned
Mar 18, 2003
I still haven't heard a word from the deputy, the guy, any insurance co, or anyone else. Is it normal to wait a week before taking action?

it take a lawyer a long time to get papers drawn up!

ehheehehheeehee

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Rufio

it take a lawyer a long time to get papers drawn up!

ehheehehheeehee

:(

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
It is entirely possible that the guy doesn't care enough about it to bother calling you. I wouldn't spend any more time worrying about it.

mandala

Dec 24, 2003
Hopefully not having heard anything already means that any damage isn't enough to worry about.

I scraped another car on Wednesday too. I was trying to find a spot at my doctor's office (which has the worst parking lot I've ever seen - not nearly enough spots and the spots that are there are WAY undersized - even for a compact car). I found an empty one and was carefully pulling into it when I scraped one the cars next to me. I pulled out of the spot and went and hunted for another one. After I parked I walked past the car I hit, saw the white scrapes on it and started to panic. I went and signed in for my appointment and went back out to write a note to leave on their windshield before going back into the doctor's office. I was sitting facing the window so I could watch for whoever it was to go out to their car. When they did, I went out and explained what had happened. We looked at their car, and he said that it should all buff out and not to worry about it. His wife kept thanking me for leaving a note (she had had someone smack into her car in a parking lot, breaking some lights, and they didn't leave a note or stop or anything). Unfortunately, a little of the paint on the bumper of my husband's car had been scraped off, but it's not too bad. I just feel bad for scratching his bumper.