I rarely backup...

Warrenton

Banned
Aug 7, 2000
But today I installed PacketCD for the heck of it and backed all but my MP3 collection up. A vast majority of my MP3 collection is also mirrored on another machine (the one I am on right now).

Well I was putting win2k on my main system and accidentally deleted the wrong partition. There went EVERYTHING. No way to recover (except lost&found) and thats not worth the waste.

So today, by pure luck I had a backup copy of everything important. All my MP3's I ripped myself, so I can recover them by ripping again.

God Job!

Warrenton

Banned
Aug 7, 2000
Well, I usually don't backup, ever. I think from now on I will be a little more serious about it though, at least archiving to my server.

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
i back up about once a month, but at work i back up 5 times a week :)

dam()

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
About once a month here (full backup). Today's systems are much more reliable than just 10 years ago. In 1990 a hard drive's FAT could be ruined by simply looking at it. I haven't had to do a full restore in a loooooooong time! Still, my stuff's too valuable to risk data loss or theft.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Couldn't you have recovered the partition using Partition Magic, or something like that?

Viper GTS

Warrenton

Banned
Aug 7, 2000
Viper I am sure I could have, but the only thing lost was about 10 albums of MP3's. Thats about 2 hours to rerip, and i can take my time and do it when I am bored. I didn't think it was worth messing with.