I ordered a boat today! - UPDATED - Purchased a used boat

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Put a deposit on a boat today! Regal Fasdeck 22. Everything is subject to a water test (i.e., I can get my money back if I don't like the boat for any reason) so I still might go another way, but I was excited to have the opportunity to spec out the boat so that it arrives with exactly what I want. It is going to be a fun spring/summer/fall.

http://www.regalboats.com/model/22-fasdeck-deck-boat

12717350_10207099984632966_5640840911132206948_n.jpg

update 04/10/2016

After mulling things over for quite a bit and after taking the world's coldest water test this morning, I decided to pull the trigger and purchase a used boat! Instead of the new Regal 22 Fasdeck I ordered ($62,000), I bought a mint condition 2004 Cobalt for $22,500 out the door. The Cobalt is rock solid and will give me 90% of the experience for about 1/3 of the price. So it was a bit of a no brainer. Is the Regal as nicer boat? Absolutely! Is it $40,000 nicer? No way.

Basic stats:
22' long
5.7 MPI MAG Mercruiser 350 (300 HP) IB/OB with Bravo 3 drive and duoprop.
~300 hours on the motor
Top speed ~53 MPH
Bimini Top
Bow & Cockpit Covers
Air Compressor
Docking Lights
Transom Tilt Switch
Aft Walk Thru Carpet
Dual Batteries

Pics provided below. Time to go buy some water toys!

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2406.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

Last edited:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Which engine?

Volvo Penta 280HP V6 with a duoprop, which is the highest HP motor they offer. I would have gone with a V8 if they offered one, but they do not for this boat. Supposedly this motor provides tremendous low end torque, but we shall see.

Also, the fastrak hull is supposed to help the boat get up on plane easier and reduces drag once its there. I'm not so sure, which is why the sale is conditioned on a water test of the boat.

I opted for the custom gelcoat scheme - glacier grey with a black boot stripe and a white wakeboard tower.

FWIW Regal also boasts that the hull improves fuel economy and top speed quite a bit too. I tend to believe their claims, as boattest.com reports that with base power (a VP 220HP duoprop), the boat has a top speed of about 45 MPH. That is impressive considering the test weight was ~4500 pounds.

Last edited:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007

LOL.

Also FWIW this is a dedicated lake boat (its obvious from the design, but just in case anyone didn't catch that). I have a camp in Maine with direct water access that we visit pretty much every weekend in the summer. So this new toy will get some good use.

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I don't know a damn thing about boats but it looks really nice. Congrats man.:thumbsup:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
What's the roll bar thingy for?

The tower? Mainly for towing water skiers and wakeboarders.

It also makes it easier for tall folks like me to get in the boat, as unlike a traditional bimini (the frame of which is angled towards the stern of the boat), the tower is swept forward and also serves as a bimini support. Which means that I can get in the boat without having to duck under the bimini framing. Sounds like a little thing. But when you get in an out of the boat a lot (as we often do while swimming), it is definitely more convenient to not have to duck under the bimini frame.

Last edited:

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
The tower? Mainly for towing water skiers and wakeboarders.

It also makes it easier for tall folks like me to get in the boat, as unlike a traditional bimini (the frame of which is angled towards the stern of the boat), the tower is swept forward and also serves as a bimini support. Which means that I can get in the boat without having to duck under the bimini framing. Sounds like a little thing. But when you get in an out of the boat a lot (as we often do while swimming), it is definitely more convenient to not have to duck under the bimini frame.

Is it removable/detachable? I'm not sure if you plan on trailering the boat a lot, but scratching that tower on low hanging branches would concern me. Also, lower bridges might be a problem as well.

Either way, congrats on the purchase! While water testing, get the swim deck wet and see how slippery it is. I've seen a LOT of people slip on those, but they tend to be drunk when it happens...

Sep 12, 2004
I have a lot of connections with Regal (I know the owners and my wife worked there for 21 years). If you have any issues, pm me and I will be happy to help you out.

GL with your new boat.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Is it removable/detachable? I'm not sure if you plan on trailering the boat a lot, but scratching that tower on low hanging branches would concern me. Also, lower bridges might be a problem as well.

This particular mfgr. uses what they call a Power Tower---it folds down resulting in the windshield being the tallest portion of the boat.

OP....nice boat! Congrats!

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
BOAT = Bust Out Another Thousand ;). Nice potential purchase though. I remember back when I lived on the east coast and we would frequent Gaston Lake, really nice lake and we would see some ocean faring yachts from time to time since the lake opened into the Chesapeake Bay.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Best two days of a mans life, the day he buys his boat and the day he sells his boat. ;)

I hope you get years of enjoyment out of it! Looks great.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
How much is insurance on a boat?

i used to work on an app for boat insurance quotes

would see anywhere from a 300-400$ a year if it was a cheap boat and you only used it a few months

to almost 10$k per year for 20-30 foot fancy expensive boats that are used more during the year

anything more expensive than that and we just wouldn't insure them