I only spent 125 dollars this year mountain biking!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I bought a MIPS Giro helmet and a pair of shoes for my bike with regular pedals. You really do not want shoes with laces on shoes. Covid has screwed up my last and final bike purchase. I have a 15 year old K2 with great components. I have a 2 year old Cannondale with lesser components and people think that is a great bike. The frame is great but the components are Huffy quality.

I am sticking with Continental tires, the tread lasts forever on their tires.

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
I bought a MIPS Giro helmet and a pair of shoes for my bike with regular pedals. You really do not want shoes with laces on shoes. Covid has screwed up my last and final bike purchase. I have a 15 year old K2 with great components. I have a 2 year old Cannondale with lesser components and people think that is a great bike. The frame is great but the components are Huffy quality.

I am sticking with Continental tires, the tread lasts forever on their tires.
Time to make friends with the gear-obsessed people! They have lots of extra stuff laying around, and their wallets could use your help.:)

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
It looks like the 2022 Trek Marlin 6 is for me. I am not happy with the price increases on bikes. I am in no hurry. I need a single front chain ring.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
That’s how we are. Helps her build confidence seeing me do the section in front of her. We are in our 40s so nothing too crazy but it’s good for staying in shape if you don’t crash.
Yeah, we started in our 40s too. I don't expect to ever do what I would have done if I started 30 years before.
Btw, REI is having a small sale on 510 shoes. I picked up another pair of the Freerider PrimeBlue for 40% off. I know not everyone likes that particular style but they work for me.
I have five ten shoes for canyoneering (great foot traction on smooth vertical walls). What do they do that is good for biking?

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
Yeah, we started in our 40s too. I don't expect to ever do what I would have done if I started 30 years before.

I have five ten shoes for canyoneering (great foot traction on smooth vertical walls). What do they do that is good for biking?
I started in my early 50's, and can stay mid-pack when riding with groups of people averaging 20 years younger. Don't count yourself out!!!

What changed EVERYTHING for me was a workout and mindset paradigm change. Now I'm 56 years old and can hit most any "A" line , or black diamond trails with confidence. Just 5 years ago, I struggled on steep climbs, small gap-jumps and 3 foot drops.

As for the 510's and MTB? They stick to MTB flat pedals like glue!!!

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
As for the 510's and MTB? They stick to MTB flat pedals like glue!!!
I haven't had too much trouble with my normal shoes. They do slip on the rare occasion but it hasn't been too bad yet. But what the heck, my normal shoes are wearing out, so I just ordered those.

Last edited:

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001

If you have flat pedals with metal pins, the shoes stick to them really well. I also find that if I dismount, they do a good job of gripping the ground. The soles are also stiff which help giving a solid platform so you aren't wasting energy with a shoe bending. Plus, the canvas is easy to wash off.