I now work for the Japanese.

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
The other day I posted a question about how far you would drive. After all the responses, I decided, with the pay and advancement opportunities, it was not far at all. So, I am now an HR Generalist for a Yamaha subsidiary making 20% above the regional average for a generalist, and directly in charge of HRIS and Recruiting. The GM is also new, direct from Japan, and as this is my first introduction into a Japanese work environment, I'm excited yet nervous at the same time.

Don't mind me, this is just a post of excitement :)

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Please note: Making fun of their small penises (peni? penis's? penis'?) is bad business practice.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Sweet, I work in HRIS too and been doing this for about 10 years. Also work with Benefits and Compensation (little bit of Recruiting, but not much).

Good luck! I can imaging working in HR for a Japanese company must be very different specially because of all the international laws/policies. I worked for a british company for a while (Reuters) and their HR was so much different than other companies I worked for before and it was an excellent learning experience.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I work for Nissan. Japanese companies are definitely different (in a good way) and I'm really glad I took this job.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
how do you pronounce yamaha?

is it yaMAha (that rhymes with yo mama)
or is it
YAmaha (that rhymes with ramadan)

i said yaMAha and a coworker laughed at me saying (come again, yo mama?)

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Yamaha makes everything. How many other companies in the world make motorcycles, saxaphones and DVD players? I mean, talk about going from A to Z.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
I work for Nissan. Japanese companies are definitely different (in a good way) and I'm really glad I took this job.

I worked for Sony and different I agree on, in a good way? To me, no way!

What I didn't like

2 check points between the front door and where my work area was. metal detector that ALWAYS went off for everybody. The guard knew me but always looked my name up to double check, annoying.
30 minute lunch, basically driving anywhere to eat was a pain in the ass
last point especially bad when you didn't make it out before most other people and were stuck behind a long line of people getting wanded because they set off the metal detector. Some days because of this my lunch was almost cut in half almost.
make it to the lunch room when you didn't get out at the head of the line anbd already lost half your lunch, well loose more while you wait in the lunch line for the one chef to cook you food. I loved those 6 minute to eat lunches lol.
breaks suck when you gotta wait in the metal detector line, 15 minutes = 9 minutes + having to walk to the break room. BLAH!

also felt like I was in prison, they monitored everything, take a restroom break when it wasn't break? UH OH! They were also very strict and overly anal about static, we had to wear smocks and some heal strap ALWAYS, if we took them off it was big trouble.

I don't know how any other Japanese companies are run, but if this is par for the course I hope to never be employed by them again :)

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Ha, Sony sounds a little intense. The work ethic seems to be much greater here than anywhere I worked before but I can't really complain about that. We do have turnstiles on the way in but I see nothing wrong with that.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
i work for the indians. they own our place here. welcome to letting the pofit out of the country.