I need your comments!

Majesty

Nov 22, 1999
Hi,

This is my first post in this forum as I found out recently that I enjoyed very much taking pictures. I bought a Canon A95 2 years ago and were always happy with it. You can see my results on my Flickr page (see sig. if interested or curious).

Lately though, I found myself quite limited by my camera. My girlfriend studied in photography and introduced me to the world of SLR. As I result, I decided to buy a Rebel XTi as it is a very good pro-amateurs camera, but Canon introduced on the market recently it's PowerShot S5 IS. It has very good features and it makes me wonder if I shouldn't pick this one instead?

What are your thoughts? Why should I pick a consumer oriented product over a SLR? I don't intend to start a career in photography, but I intend to make it a hobby (sort of).

Thank you for your comments and suggestions!

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Uh...these are entirely different cameras. The S5 is a super-zoom from Canon where the entire appeal and focus of the camera is...the super zoom ;) The XTi, like any other DSLR, makes substancially less compromises (relative to a S5) for a camera and relies on external lenses that you attach. Its a completely different category of camera.

The S5, checking prices on google, seems to run at an average of 340 dollars. The XTi - for the BODY ALONE, will cost you about 600-650ish dollars. If you want a 18-55kit , pricegrabber shows the cost fluctuating between 710 to well over 1000 dollars. This doesn't include - other lenses (you sure as heck don't want to shoot at 18-55 all day) and an external flash. And those other lenses - even on the "cheap" range - are about 200 dollars and easily get up to 1k (check out yllus's thread on the top of the forum on Canon Lenses)

To try to answer your question - take the S5 if you DON'T want to switch lenses all the time, and just want a quick P&S camera. Take the S5 if you absolutely need the massive magnifacation that it offers.

But realistically it isn't about "what you want" in this instance as much as "how much are you willing to invest" because the price differential is big enough that it does and should be a consideration.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I have the XTi and the S3 IS (the precursor to S5).

Very different beasts.

While I find that I am tempted to carry the S3 with me everywhere I go (mind you, I'm also making use of its fantastic video recording quality!) there's no doubt the XTi is a superior camera for pure photography - I only wish it had IS as well...

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: AnitaPeterson

Very different beasts.

While I find that I am tempted to carry the S3 with me everywhere I go (mind you, I'm also making use of its fantastic video recording quality!) there's no doubt the XTi is a superior camera for pure photography - I only wish it had IS as well...

what keeps you from picking up a pentax instead (serious question, I'm curious)?

Dec 10, 2005
As far as price goes, you can always save a little money by going with an XT instead of the XTi.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: randomlinh

Very different beasts.

what keeps you from picking up a pentax instead (serious question, I'm curious)?

LOL, nothing really... except the fact that I've already amassed a Canon lens collection and it's hard to justify paying >$500 for yet ANOTHER digital camera, especially since the XTi and S3 are not even one year old... my SO is already grumbling...

However, to respond to Brainonska511's post, I STRONGLY advise against being a cheapskate, for a very good reason. My original Digital Rebel (I loved that camera!) died because of a dirty sensor, and the XTi DOES come with a sensor-cleaning feature - the XT does NOT have it. It makes a HUGE difference, trust me! What you save today in terms of price difference is nothing compared with what you save for money and aggravation later on, when your pictures start having ugly spots.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006

However, to respond to Brainonska511's post, I STRONGLY advise against being a cheapskate, for a very good reason. My original Digital Rebel (I loved that camera!) died because of a dirty sensor, and the XTi DOES come with a sensor-cleaning feature - the XT does NOT have it. It makes a HUGE difference, trust me! What you save today in terms of price difference is nothing compared with what you save for money and aggravation later on, when your pictures start having ugly spots.

How exactly does a camera die from a dirty sensor, especially the kind of "dirt" that the XTi's sensor cleaning would be able to fix?

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Are you sure your sensor cleaning system is that effective?

http://pixinfo.com/en/articles/ccd-dust-removal/

Personally, I was expecting a lot from Canon, since their system is very similar to the one used in Olympus cameras. We assume that since the CMOS was statically charged, this prevented the dust from falling of the sensor's surface. We can see that the first two cleaning cycles have cleaned of about a dozen of spots, but that is almost nothing compare to the total number of over 500 spots.

After the second cycle, no more particles fell of the sensor.

Although the system is promising, it is not as effective as we would expect when the sensor is statically charged. We don't know how to prevent the charging, but the manufacturer should address this problem in future releases. We estimate that the effectiveness of this system is 5%.

Our air blower has managed to remove most of the spots, but still this camera had the most dust after the air cleaning. This seems to support our static charge theory.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
When I meant that my Rebel "died" I mean that I couldn't use it anymore without having ugly dots all over my images, all the time. For all purposes, it was not-functional, hence "dead".

I tried an air blower, I tried a dedicated (and expensive) Canon SLR cleaning kit, the damn specks of dust were still there, barely moving around. And it's not like I'm not handy and careful with works that require precision and minutiae...

BestBuy's Geek Squad tried to clean it as part of the extended warranty, then I brought it back to them, they had it sent to Canon for repairs... since the camera was still not ready after 62 days, they had to give me a new one - so that's how I ended up with the XTi.

magomago, that's definitely a very interesting review, I will follow these findings closely and look for additional information.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
get the XTi. you'll soon hit the limits of the small-sensor S5 and would be left wanting more.

<-- S3 owner.

Vad3r

Nov 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Majesty
Lately though, I found myself quite limited by my camera.

What are your thoughts? Why should I pick a consumer oriented product over a SLR?

Glass, L Glass. Thats the reason to get, and not to get a dSLR. You'll love the pictures, hate the price.

Started with a Canon A80 many moons ago. Then to the Rebel, to the 20D.
From the kit lens, to a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 to a 100-400 F4.5 - 5.6L.

Belive me, it took time to save to get each new toy for the camera. But it was worth it to me. Only you can know how best to spend your money.
But you say your now "limited by the your camera", I think your gonna feel that way about any point & shoot. Not in the first week or month, but your always gonna think "I shoulda got the dslr".
To tell the truth, I really don't know anything about the PowerShot S5 IS. My brother has one from (about 1.5- 2 years ago) the S3 ?. He is now looking at the Rebel.

vanderStoep

Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Majesty
Hi,
Lately though, I found myself quite limited by my camera.
In what way are you limited?

Range? High iso-preformance, lack of choosing your shutterspeed, etc???