I need suggestions for a new FPS MP game

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Hey peoples

I have been playing COD1 for a while and love it, even though it is pretty old. What I love about it is the somewhat gritty/raw feel of the aiming down the sight and shooting. It feels fairly realistic (not that I know what is really realistic). I just like the feel and play of it. I also love the rifles (non-scoped). I hate run and gun and therefore avoid the sub machine guns.. so no run and gun games please. I do like MGs though. Also, it needs to have aim down the site (is it sight or site?). I also like leaning.

I have only played COD4 demo, so I am not sure if the MP would fit the bill for me as I was not crazy about the demo. The aiming was so smooth and simple and the whole experience was kinda bland. Anyway, pls give me some suggestions.

thanks

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
So you want something more tactical than COD4? I thought it might be one of the best choices until I read you didn't like the demo.

If you own any Source games, you can play the Insurgency mod. It is slower and tactical in a modern setting. Of course it is free!

Day of Defeat:Source?

jwcooper

Oct 25, 2005
I second the insurgency suggestion. It's pretty much exactly as you describe. Iron Sights, tactical, variety of weapons, leaning, etc.

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
CoD is actually my favorite MP game, I hated CoD4, and CoD2 isn't as good as the original though I still play it at times because it's more populated. The only shooter I've played that isn't quite run and gun would have to be Battlefield 2. If you play on a standard server you'll pretty much be victimized by jet and chopper bombings the entire game, but no-vehicle servers can be ok I guess.

Try GRAW or Rainbow Six 3, I've not played them myself but I hear they're more "tactical" than other shooters.

OhSnap688

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2006
Originally posted by: duragezic
So you want something more tactical than COD4? I thought it might be one of the best choices until I read you didn't like the demo.

If you own any Source games, you can play the Insurgency mod. It is slower and tactical in a modern setting. Of course it is free!

Day of Defeat:Source?

I was going to suggest Day of Defeat Source. It's only 10 bucks!

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
DoD:S or Red Orchestra. IMO Red Orchestra is better, but some like the smaller maps and more action-y feeling of DoD.

I like big maps myself. Maybe I will try DOD Source RO. I tried Insurgency and it was ok. Will continue to try it out.

I have played the BF2 demo, and it is pretty decent. But like poster said, the jets kinda take the fun away some. But it was still pretty cool, much better than the original IMHO.

Thanks for the suggestion everybody.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I used to play BF2 a lot, I just avoided giant maps that were fully of jets. I didn't particularly like choppers or tanks either, so I though when they added a 'No Vehicles' option that it would be awesome, but I like a few vehicles. I also bought the expansion which is focused more on infantry combat. So I stuck with maps like expansion maps, Karkand, Mashturr, and similar maps. The giant maps were so stupid as there were always several good pilots who completely dominated the map. So if you do the same, you can get somewhat more tactical gameplay but on decent sized maps.

The demo map is pretty crappy because as you noticed, it's full of jets.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
For realism and huge maps try Arma. Another old game worth trying is Operation Flashpoint. If you want another old WW2 game try Hidden & Dangerous 2.