I need some help with removing a starter; we sent it to a shop

scorpmatt

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I am working on my sister's pickup and i am trying to replace the starter. I've removed the bolts holding it in place but cant remove the nuts holding the wires in place. the pickup is a 94 nissan with a v6 engine. any help would be greatly appreciated.

lightpants

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2001
Make sure you have disconnected the battery!!!!!

PB Blaster works wonders, try it.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: scorpmatt
because none of my wrenchs will fit in there so i can turn them

U R screwed then.

Or go buy some stubby combination wrenches.

Or drive down here to Eugene and you can borrow some of my sweet sweet Snap-On stubbies. ;)

EDIT: Since you have the bolts out, are you able to pull the starter out enough so that you can rotate it so that your wrenches CAN reach the nuts holding on the wires?

scorpmatt

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
Originally posted by: scorpmatt
because none of my wrenchs will fit in there so i can turn them

U R screwed then.

Or go buy some stubby combination wrenches.

Or drive down here to Eugene and you can borrow some of my sweet sweet Snap-On stubbies. ;)

EDIT: Since you have the bolts out, are you able to pull the starter out enough so that you can rotate it so that your wrenches CAN reach the nuts holding on the wires?

no, there is no room for me to turn the wrenchs from the top or bottom if i move it around. unfortunately we decided to put it all back together and let a shop take care of it for 70 bucks. it would've cost me more to do it (buying tools, gaskets, etc.) thanx for the help

Fiveohhh

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: lightpants
Make sure you have disconnected the battery!!!!!

PB Blaster works wonders, try it.

Sadly I did that once. Nothing happened though I had the wrench on it, and than thought about it for a second. and realized what I was doing. just about as bad as leaving a wrench on the battery(not that I'm guilty of that..)