I need help reaching 3.4ghz...greedy noobie....

Nov 28, 2006
Hello tech gods

Im a first time overclocker...lol.I'm trying to catch up with all the lingo.Please keep it simple.I dont know that much so don't assume.Talk to me like a first day student lol.I built my first computer and I'm proud!!!!

Im currently running at 3.2 mhz on an overclocked e6400...I have a evga 680i motherboard.
But Im greedy and I want to go to 3.4g:laugh:hz.I tried to reach 3.4 mhz but windows would not boot.Also Im currently running my system with
ocz 667 mhz ram and would like to know if I should overclock my ram to 800mhz.

Here is the kicker...im a noob and I would like someone to tell me how(In terms that a noob/non technical upstart can understand).So can some one give me a"simple' on how to achieve my goals...so that I can sit on the throne of the elite and look down on and feel redeemed..for all the money that I have thrown away to dell in the past...lol.

Here are my system stas:

thermaltake armor jr. case black
ocz 700w power supply
evga nvidia 680i sli motherboard
intel core 2 duo e6400
zalman 9500 cooler
ocz high performance ddr2 gold 667mhz speed
2 western digital 250 gb sata harddrives
creative labs x-fi soundcard
PNY 7900gs graphics card
plextor 716a dvd drive
lite-on dvd drive

here are my current settings

cpu 8x402 cpu core=3.216 ghz.
fsb frecuency 1,608 mhz
memory bus frecuency 657(ddr2)mhz
cpu voltage 1.462 v
fsb 1.500 v
n force spp 1.35 v

So I would like to know what bio changes that i would have to make(with out frying my system)to go higher.

Now for the ram question..
Should I leave my ram speed at stock 667mhz(Timings 4-4-4-4-12) or should I overclock it to 800mhz speed?
Would this improve my system and make it faster or would it hinder it?Keep in mind I dont know crap about timmings....do I have to increase the ram voltage to 2.1v to overclock to 800mhz?Or is mysytem fine running at 667mhz ram?

Also orthos is running very stable at my current setting at 48c full load..overnight..

please help and keep it simple ..lol

thermaltake armor jr. case black
ocz 700w power supply
evga nvidia 680i sli motherboard
intel core 2 duo e6400
zalman 9500 cooler
ocz high performance ddr2 gold 667mhz speed
2 western digital 250 gb sata harddrives
creative labs x-fi soundcard
PNY 7900gs graphics card
plextor 716a dvd drive
lite-on dvd drive

Nov 28, 2006
Thank you!!!!
This has been the best explanation that I have received
without people getting into arguments or assuming that I know things....lol.
(not to take away from their advice...I appreciate the help but...it gets very confusing lol)

Now for the million dollar question(still...lol)

Should I over clock my memory or leave it at stock???
Stock= 667 mhz
Overclock= 800 mhz?

Yes or no?
What do you suggest?
What would the benefits be if I over clock?

Roguestar

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
If you overclock your CPU (ie: raise the FSB speed) your memory will rise in line with that, depending on the ratio you are running it in with your FSB.

For example my FSB right now is at 430Mhz giving me a clock speed of 3.01Ghz (430*7) and my memory runs in 1:1 ratio with the FSB (listed as 2 in BIOS) which means it's currently doing 860Mhz.

My advice is to find where your FSB limit kicks in and then worry about memory after that if you want more performance out of it (and if it can handle that kind of speed ;))

Nov 28, 2006
Thank you!!!!

All I have been doing for the past month is researching on the internet
and reading maximum pc and cpu magazines.unsatisfied with Dell and my 9150's
limitations....I decided that I was going to build my own computer....which I did all by myself....I returned my 9150(which was a long drawn out fight...but I won)and I used the money to buy parts for my new set up.......A new path of illumination has opened up and GOldlight was born!!!!!Lol

So I found anandtech.com and it was like a mouse in a room full of cheese...a gold mine!!!!

I have read about over clocking but I want to do it right=====anandtech!!!!!

I have used many security suites and adware,anti virus',and etc in the past but which ones use less memory,resources,and etc....oh let me look on =====anandtech!!!!!

I want to learn how to dual boot 2 operating systems on a hard drive======anandtech didnt help me with this one but I researched and found out any way...lol

Why does my 500 gig hard drive register at 465 gb instead of 500=======let me check on anandtech!!!!!!(I didnt know that I was going to be called dumb for this one...it was a honest noobie mistake lol)

So as you can see.....anandtech has become my new obsession.......
a weeks worth full of research can be shortened to a day.....well it depends on the answers that you get.......some answers are good and to the point.....
some people insult you for even asking a question(lol)......and some people have become so technical that their answers are not even human anymore..lol.Good or bad...I love it!!!!!!

Has anandtech spoiled me....yes!!
should I stop researching on my own???No, but there is always anandtech!!!lol
Do I feel bitter about giving Dell thousands of dollars over the years...yes!!!I'm
never going back..

So there you have it......
And remember before everyone of you became a platinum,diamond,elite member,and etc..
You were all newbies just like me!!!!!!!Lol

Happy New Year!!!!!Now I'm going to check out "Hot deals"..lol

Roguestar

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
152FSB?

Try changing your memory timings to 5-5-5-15 and the FSB to 401Mhz. If necessary up your vCore to 1.375 and try that. Make sure you've got good cooling, mind.

Nov 28, 2006
My v core is at 1.40
My fsb is 1655.
So I take it that I have to overclock my memory as well.
Should I overclock my 667mhz ccz ram to 800mhz?
Should I increase memory voltage to 2.0 or 2.175?
Also should I keep my timings at 4 4 4 12 or go to 5 5 5 15?