I need CAS hours for school

dunn

Banned
Jun 24, 2001
this is similar to community hours
CAS= creative, action, or creative hours
I have already done action hours because I play varsity sports that counts towards it
But i need creative and service hours, about 50 hours each
Any ideas of what I can do to earn some hours before school starts back up??
Is there a way I can earn these hours using the internet somehow or something??

Examples: creative hours- designing a web site for someone without pay
service hours- helping out the community or something

Thanks, i will appreciate any input, suggestions, ideas, etc.

Wedesdo

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
thank goodness our school deson't require this sort of crap...

try seeing if you can go help a non-propit organization make/upgrade their computers or webpage...

2 birds in 1 stone

dunn

Banned
Jun 24, 2001
Is there a way I can get CAS hours for providing technical help on a forum or something?
Because I am not a really good web designer

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
I have something similar at my school. I have to do 75 before I graduate, and look at me I left it pretty much until the end of my junior year.

The good news: The computer network at my school needs serious re-doing, and the administrator is also the comp sci teacher, and I was one of her favorite students next year. Can you say cha-ching!

Handle

Oct 16, 1999
Heh, CAS hours. Creativity-Action-Service. Wonderful component of the International Baccalaureate Program.

If you want to get lots of CAS hours, join a club which requires a lot of your time (sports, band, student newspaper, yearbook, speech, debate). Some teachers/schools allow you to count all the time you spent at that activity, some only allow you to count "performance" hours (ie. band performance but not band practice).

Or, you can always volunteer at a non-profit organization.

Don't worry about the categories too much... most activities you do can easily fit under 2 of the 3 categories.

Shalmanese

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
LOL, CAS, what a joy

right now Ive got the requisite 50+ hrs in each, but our CAS administrator thinks we need 70hrs since there is a little clasue in the IB program which says that students can fail CAS if they do not show the requisite iniative etc.

anyway, I got 40hrs of service by working at a local library and 40hrs of creativity by "learning" how to build computers at a local mom&pop store.

there was a good oppurtuinty that failed to materialse though where some local community group wanted to set up a computer network for the poor.

anyway, find something big that you can cram a few hours into.

dunn

Banned
Jun 24, 2001
man, there has to be a way to earn CAS hours by using the internet
any ideas?

If I help people out on this forum, is there a way I can earn CAS hours for that? I mean i am not getting paid to do it.

cdan

Dec 30, 2000
Ha I have to do that too. Except my school is boring and calls it Community Service. We need to finish 80 hours to graduate. I finished 180 (yes that's a 1-8-0). Go to the state department of computers or something and see if you can work there. Check out the state section of the phone book. My friend got to work with the military downloading viruses and writing programs to stop them. I typed up Land Records for the Land Court. As long as you don't get paid you can do 100 hours and find some way to split them up.

randal

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2001

** 2000 IB Diploma Graduate Here **

The *easiest* way to get cas hours: go see a couple plays. take a trip to mexico. done. just that simple.

AHh, the good ol' days of being an IB student -- the elite intelligentsia of the high school crowd, if you will. I remember it fondly; ditching weeks of class with no penalty as long as the requirements were met. A lot like college, but better =)

$.02
randal

Sugadaddy

Banned
May 12, 2000
IB huh???

I just finished mine last term. Those damn 150 hours were long... :(

What I recommend is starting a project yourself. A few people in my class organized a trip to Africa (don't remember where) to go help the people there. Basically, organizing the trip, and the help they did was their whole CAS hours.

Another way is to find someone you know that can give you some hours, but also sign for a few more than you did...:) Not very honest, but that's what I did. Helping people is nice, but I'd rather be working.

dunn

Banned
Jun 24, 2001
but if i plan a trip to africa or whatever, who is going to verify that?
I mean, it won;t be legit without proof