I need advice on how to backup/restore apps before/after flashing Android ICS ROM

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
I was tempted to PM this to Poofy, but I'll post it in case there are others in my situation.

So I have a SGS2 i777 running Unnamed ROM 2.2.1 and I'm happy with it, but I want ICS now that it's out... among other things because I want to switch to Chrome for browsing. Poofy, you recommended ShoStock ROM for ICS on the i777 and if you recommended it, that's good enough for me (you recommended UnNamed and that has been great).

But how do I port all my apps and data over to ShoStock? People will say Titanium Backup - I'd think - but if that's the answer how do I use Titanium to do this? Do I just back them all up in batch mode and then restore them all in batch mode once I install the new ROM? And am I likely to run into problems doing this? I've heard that this method works, but not well. Are there any other ways to do it that are better?

Thanks for any advice

Last edited:

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I was tempted to PM this to Poofy, but I'll post it in case there are others in my situation.

So I have a SGS2 i777 running Unnamed ROM 2.2.1 and I'm happy with it, but I want ICS now that it's out... among other things because I want to switch to Chrome for browsing. Poofy, you recommended ShoStock ROM for ICS on the i777 and if you recommended it, that's good enough for me (you recommended UnNamed and that has been great).

But how do I port all my apps and data over to ShoStock? People will say Titanium Backup - I'd think - but if that's the answer how do I use Titanium to do this? Do I just back them all up in batch mode and then restore them all in batch mode once I install the new ROM? And am I likely to run into problems doing this? I've heard that this method works, but not well. Are there any other ways to do it that are better?

Thanks for any advice

Thats pretty much it. Titanium works quite well.

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
You can sometimes run into problems of corrupted data when re-installing app data. Not always, though. I usually don't, but just re-install the apps themselves.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I have a "always restore" set of apps /w titanium backup with my dropbox. I then keep any "extras" like games etc... on my SD card. The "always restore" set were backed up right after a fresh install after they were fully setup (logged in etc). So basically I do this whenever I change ROMs and it let's me reinstall within 10 minutes.

1. Signin /w google login
2. Install Titanium & SMS Backup+
3. Run SMS Backup+ to restore all SMS and automatically backup any new ones I get.
4. Load Titanium and login to dropbox. Restore all apps kept on dropbox which are my "always restore".

This gets me going with everything I need. I then also disable the dropbox portion of titatnium & then restore any single apps I want currently. I usually use batch and then uncheck all and just check the ones I want. These I pull off the SD card, but I typically only restore a handful. My always restore type apps are K-9, Go SMS, Amazon market etc...

The other useful way to backup is with MyBackup Root which can do all apps, call logs etc... but it can be a tad bit slower.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Dulanic's solution sounds pretty good, especially if you are a ROM addict.

Personally PM to switch to ICS I did a Nandroid backup of my Gingerbread install before I flashed ICS, then after I had ICS installed I pulled in the apps from the Nandroid backup via Titanium.

Chocu1a is right that might not work all the time, but it worked fine for me on all my apps (I have a ton) and it was the method recommended to me by Entropy (the top i777 developer).

As far as using ICS- get ready for the speed! I really think it flies compared to GB on the SGS2. Oh, and give the Apex Launcher a shot.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Oh, and one last thing PM:

ShoStock ICS is not quite as developed as Unnamed was by the time I recommended it. The i9100 devs have some tricks that will eventually filter down via Entropy that will probably make it even better.

Why I like the ShoStock ROM so much is because Shoman makes it so its updatable. Unlike some ROMs that require a wipe every time, with ShoStock you can flash the new version on top of the old and you get the update without pain. I started with his first release and I have just installed every updated since then with no issues.

I would recommend a Nandroid backup before you update of course just in case, but its really makes keeping updated easy.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Depending on what you want from a rom the UCLC2 leak is another option for ICS on the i777. So far I haven't seen many bugs reported for it but naturally you don't get the customizations found in ShoStock.

Is the notifications drop down themed in ShoStock? The change log mentions that is a work in progress but it wasn't clear if it was present in the current release.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I don't like the UCLC2 leak. I tried it for a day and it ate my battery compared to ShoStock. In fact Shoman reverted back to the old radio in his new version because of issues with the UCLC2 radio.

Notifications aren't themed yet as he just got them functional in the new release. Soon there will be a full ICS theme for the rom like the Gingerbread one and it will be glorious.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
=Notifications aren't themed yet as he just got them functional in the new release. Soon there will be a full ICS theme for the rom like the Gingerbread one and it will be glorious.

Awesome. I plan on dumping the Touchwiz launcher for Nova Launcher or Apex so an ICS theme for the rom would be great.

How stable has it been so far? I'm still on stock UCKK6 to give you a point of reference.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Yeah I want an ICS theme too. I avoided them until ICS lol. But my sister (who also has an i777) used the Ginger ICS theme and when one is that good I will be happy.

So far the ROM has been very stable for me, and fast.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Dulanic's solution sounds pretty good, especially if you are a ROM addict.

Personally PM to switch to ICS I did a Nandroid backup of my Gingerbread install before I flashed ICS, then after I had ICS installed I pulled in the apps from the Nandroid backup via Titanium.

Chocu1a is right that might not work all the time, but it worked fine for me on all my apps (I have a ton) and it was the method recommended to me by Entropy (the top i777 developer).

As far as using ICS- get ready for the speed! I really think it flies compared to GB on the SGS2. Oh, and give the Apex Launcher a shot.

I am a ROM addict right now :) There are E4GT leaks almost daily.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
When I moved to a new phone, all of my apps were reinstalled automatically. I don't know if that was because of appbrain or whether google did that itself.
I did use smsbackup+ to backup all my sms. I also used call log restore to restore my backed up call logs.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
When I moved to a new phone, all of my apps were reinstalled automatically. I don't know if that was because of appbrain or whether google did that itself.
I did use smsbackup+ to backup all my sms. I also used call log restore to restore my backed up call logs.

Android can do it, but most manufacturers don't enable it for some reason.