I need a new FPS game

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Wait for this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha

Also have you played old games like Unreal and Unreal Return to Na Pali? It is a great game.

Another game is Project IGI

As a huge S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fan, I remember waiting for that release for what seemed like years, only to be extremely disappointed at the result. I played through the whole thing.....probably 80-90 hours or so. The level design is terrible, especially the underground labs (which are part of what makes ShoC so amazing) - - it's like they just dropped big mazes of ugly concrete with scattered, horribly low quality props here and there under a building.

Huge areas of nothing to travel through....if you're lucky you can find a car that gets about 1/8 mpg. Some truly terrible music score. Quests that exist pretty much just to frustrate the hell out of you (and that's when they actually work). Storyline that includes the Illuminati (wth?).

To me anyway, it just had very little of the immersiveness and atmosphere of the original games. I think they were smart to scrap half of that and start again, as even though the scope ended up being a lot smaller, it was much more unique.

If you're a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fan, it's still worth playing....I guess. Lots of potential - dreadful execution.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
As a huge S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fan, I remember waiting for that release for what seemed like years, only to be extremely disappointed at the result. I played through the whole thing.....probably 80-90 hours or so. The level design is terrible, especially the underground labs (which are part of what makes ShoC so amazing) - - it's like they just dropped big mazes of ugly concrete with scattered, horribly low quality props here and there under a building.

Huge areas of nothing to travel through....if you're lucky you can find a car that gets about 1/8 mpg. Some truly terrible music score. Quests that exist pretty much just to frustrate the hell out of you (and that's when they actually work). Storyline that includes the Illuminati (wth?).

To me anyway, it just had very little of the immersiveness and atmosphere of the original games. I think they were smart to scrap half of that and start again, as even though the scope ended up being a lot smaller, it was much more unique.

If you're a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fan, it's still worth playing....I guess. Lots of potential - dreadful execution.

Hmm, I played it for about few hours and liked it a lot but i quit because they announced the latest version, "The Direcor's Cut", and I am waiting since. They said they added more interaction in the game (in the Director's cut) because people said it was an "empty" game.

The Stalker itself is mostly desolate land and few interactions. Stalker was based on the movie with the same name and the movie was based on the book called "Roadside Picnic" you should read it is a great book.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
The Stalker itself is mostly desolate land and few interactions. Stalker was based on the movie with the same name and the movie was based on the book called "Roadside Picnic" you should read it is a great book.

I have - and I agree....good read. I think I like the story STALKER developed better than the book, as it was more science-fiction and not "aliens." What I really got from Roadside Picnic was how scary / deadly the anomalies were within The Zone. I think that's one of the things the game tried to bring from the book (doesn't seem like a whole lot else).