I need a hard rock/metal infusion!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It's the Anandtech Effect, obviously, we took down youtube due to too many people concurrently playing videos at same time!

(Or, it's simply high load at youtube, likely in part due to summer/kids, and in part due to their service expansion)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Album - Artist

Once more round the sun - Mastodon
Earth Rocker - Clutch
Something Supernatural - Crobot
Minus the Machine - 10 Years
Kentucky - Black Stone Cherry
Catacombs of the black - Black Label Society
La Gargola - Chevelle

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I was stuck in a rut as well about two years ago. I wasn't getting anything really new sounding yet still within my preferred hard rock/metal style, living in the black hole of metal that is Texas doesn't help either. My only local rock station is a terribly dull corporate waste of air that still calls two year old songs 'new rock' and doesn't even play most of the bands at their concerts. Then I got some free Sabaton DLC for one of my games which pointed me in the right direction. Sabaton led me into all manner of Euro metal that I had little to no knowledge about. And then somewhere along the line I started focusing on female vocalists as well.

Sabaton - These guys are awesome. I love history and the way they highlight the heroic deeds of soldiers on all sides is nice. Luckily a couple months after finding them they played in Dallas and it was one of the funnest shows I have ever seen.
https://youtu.be/hZNeastYxEc

Battle Beast - Found them at the Sabaton show, their newer stuff has an 80's pop metal sound that I love. Also her voice is nuts.

Amaranthe - I have the Sabaton station on Amazon Music to thank for finding them. They call their genre dance metal personally I just like fast metal and their trio of vocalists is different.
https://youtu.be/RdyExxpd3Pg

Kontrust - Leaving Youtube playing for hours on auto play will take you to some weird shit. Seeing these people out of the corner of my eye got my attention and I found that I really like their stuff and their shtick is pretty entertaining as well.
https://youtu.be/QwhPOlIuSXM

Alestorm - Weird shit leads to more weird shit like pirate metal. Sounds exactly as advertised.
https://youtu.be/f55CqLc6IR0

And since I have decided to embrace my Hispanic heritage a bit more recently this has turned into my official drinking song.
https://youtu.be/-r8jlHDBMsw

N
ightwish - I found Nightwish when I was looking for other stuff Elize from Amaranthe had done. I saw that she had tried out to be their new singer before creating Amaranthe and really liked their faster heavier stuff but it is all pretty good.
https://youtu.be/pvkYwOJZONU

In This Moment - I never gave this band much of a chance but after their new song with Rob Halford I gave them another shot and I'm liking it better than I thought I would.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
In This Moment - I never gave this band much of a chance but after their new song with Rob Halford I gave them another shot and I'm liking it better than I thought I would.

Blood is an amazing album,(before that they were kind of a typical prog metal band). They did a complete genre jump and it was just...wow. The entire album. But after that...the record companies really commercialized their sound and made her some sort of Jpop sounding crap. This new album (which is where the Halford song is from) is slightly better, but still a bit to 'poppy' sounding. Definitely give Blood a chance if you haven't. The range of her voice is just amazing.

Here's a band that...is hit or miss, but the Hail the Apocalypse album is great. This new song is pretty good.

This is probably their best song

Last edited:
Reactions: local

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I've enjoyed what I've heard from Unleash the Archers so far, the lady's voice reminds me of Dio.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Arjen is amazing, especially his collaborations with Anneke von Giersbergen
To be fair, everybody's collaborations with Anneke von Giersbergen tend to be their best works ... And she has more or less collaborated with everybody :)

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
To be fair, everybody's collaborations with Anneke von Giersbergen tend to be their best works ... And she has more or less collaborated with everybody :)
I saw her in her prime with The Gathering. Not at this particular show, but around the same time. Her energy and range live is incredible:

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I saw her in her prime with The Gathering. Not at this particular show, but around the same time. Her energy and range live is incredible:
Did you see her in Milwaukee at Metalfest?
I only saw her once, and it was there, I think 1997 or 1998. More or less right up front by the stage at the eagles auditorium/ballroom at "The Rave".

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Did you see her in Milwaukee at Metalfest?
I only saw her once, and it was there, I think 1997 or 1998. More or less right up front by the stage at the eagles auditorium/ballroom at "The Rave".
No, I saw them when I was living in Europe at one of those mega festivals where you can see an obscene number of bands that would never tour together stateside.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

psychedelic rock from Australia

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Frog Leap Studios

My kids are growing up on Leo's stuff. Two and a half years ago I had my two year old daughters sitting on my lap 'picking' YouTube videos to watch. They saw the thumbnail for Feel Good Inc. with him in the bunny suit and had to watch it. Since then they listen to him almost every day and prefer his versions of their favorite songs. Now anytime the Frog Leap Studios logo pops up my current two year old daughter comes running. In my house his name is Silly Man.

But the twins are discovering there are other things now, yesterday they discovered Babymetal and were mesmerized. My wife was not amused.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Tool
Amon Amarth - Viking Metal
Seether
Three Days Grace
Five Finger Death Punch
Bad Wolves
Lacuna Coil
Shinedown
Porcupine Tree
Disturbed
Avenged Sevenfold
Halestorm
Theater of Tragedy
Tapping the Vein
Asking Alexandria

I'm and old fart and I love metal. Rap / hip-hop and all 'pop' music can DIAF.