Question I need a Access Point that gives out it's own IP addresses

nof8

Nov 25, 2020
Ok, so my mom has Verizon cell phone internet. She lives in the middle of nowhere and this is the only option. It's just hotspot internet.

She needs better range and more than 10 devices connected to it.

What are my options here (needs to be easy I'm not that smart)

Thank you in advance!

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Does the hotspot device offer usb tethering? Some routers can use USB tethering as the WAN, like asus routers.

I used it for a while when I was having ISP problems, it worked alright having my phone in USB tethering mode plugged into the routers USB port.

The router did its own thing just like if it was on a real internet connection, doing wifi/hotspot broadcasting and DHCP and all. To the client devices the USB tethering is invisible.

nof8

Nov 25, 2020
Does the hotspot device offer usb tethering? Some routers can use USB tethering as the WAN, like asus routers.

I used it for a while when I was having ISP problems, it worked alright having my phone in USB tethering mode plugged into the routers USB port.

The router did its own thing just like if it was on a real internet connection, doing wifi/hotspot broadcasting and DHCP and all. To the client devices the USB tethering is invisible.

That would be awesome, but no, no usb tethering.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Last edited:

nof8

Nov 25, 2020
OP's mom wants to use her phone as a hotspot, so a portable travel router or a router with WISP mode can be used.

Many wifi extenders should be able to accomplish the job too.

what is WISP mode? Does a wifi extender have DHCP?

nof8

Nov 25, 2020
WISP mode looks interesting. Does it give out its own IP's in that mode? And would the ethernet ports work on it?

edit found it:
WISP: After the repeating is completed, then IP address of the device that connected to AC10U is assigned by AC10U;
Client+AP: After the repeating is completed, the IP address of the device connected to AC10 is assigned by the upper router.

Now, do the ethernet ports work on the router in WISP mode?

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
WISP - Wireless Internet Service Provider. Usually it means the ISP that provides line of sight WiFi service where customers must install outdoor WISP router provided by WISP. But not necessarily the case anymore.

Travel router (you can carry it easily into hotel room and use its wireless service) or WISP router will give out it's own DHCP IP range

Some wifi extender will provide it's own DHCP and it's own IP range too, better read product's PDF manual first. Router is always more flexible.

Now, do the ethernet ports work on the router in WISP mode?
Yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD

nof8

Nov 25, 2020
WISP - Wireless Internet Service Provider. Usually it means the ISP that provides line of sight WiFi service where customers must install outdoor WISP router provided by WISP. But not necessarily the case anymore.

Travel router (you can carry it easily into hotel room and use its wireless service) or WISP router will give out it's own DHCP IP range

Some wifi extender will provide it's own DHCP and it's own IP range too, better read product's PDF manual first. Router is always more flexible.

Yes.

So wisp is exactly what I need, tyvm!

Reactions: SamirD

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
NETGEAR Nighthawk M1
with att ipad plan unlimited internet for 25-35 a month, this is what i use (often it gets 100mbps 100+gb a month) and in cambodia i use one also with a local sim (close to the same price 80gb for 12$ a month) , it has Ethernet and wifi of course, for stability i removed the battery and run it off usb-c power, i didnt watch this youtube video but its prob something along the lines of what you need. verizon offers hotspot / internet plans but i dont think its affordable.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Another term that you might want to look for is "wireless repeater bridge", which works pretty well on a multi-band router that supports such a configuration. Dedicate one of the bands connect to the hot-spot, and then connect your other devices either wired into the new router or wirelessly to the other bands that the new router supports (i.e. if the hot-spot is AC, connect your clients to the N or AX (WIFI4 or WIFI6 respectively under the new naming).

Not all routers support it, but most routers that support running on alternate firmware such as DD-WRT or OpenWRT do. Just do some quick reading up on it, and devices that support those firmwares. The better the routers that support the third-party firmwares almost always support this mode of operation (which has been available in these firmwares for over 15 years now).