I miss Balder's Gate.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
The Witcher 1 and 2. They are the only modern CRPGs I can think of with awesome storytelling and characters.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
dragon age origins definitly reminds me alot of balders gate in some respects.

it's sort of a child of diablo and balders gate

Jan 11, 2007
Thanks, all. I too love Planescape. The artwork! Sigh. I haven't tried Dragon's Age although I did like Icewind Dale. I found Neverwinter to be too combat heavy--I really am a plot person, I guess. I'm going to go back through this list and take notes.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
there is always Avadon: The Black fortress on the Ipad (think they have it for other platforms also). It plays alot like baldurs gate.

Arsinek

Feb 9, 2010
It's been years since I played a PC RPG game. I don't like MMO games at all. I want a game with a good story, like Balder's Gate or Torment. Are there any out there like that anymore?

I played Baulders Gate but dont remember the story at all. Guess Im just more into the game play then stories. But I did enjoy those games. Its funny now though to think of a game where you control like 5 people at once or whatever it was.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I'm replaying BG2/ToB(Lorekeeper of Oghma via a mod) again because I have zero interest in any new games. Next up I think I'm going to go through NWN1 again just because even though it wasn't that great compared to BG2 it's still better than 90% of the crap out now.

Really irritated with this playthough though because this time I decided to go with Bodhi, and didn't realize I wouldn't be able to get Edwin if I went past a certain point. So I don't have him. UGH

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I'm replaying BG2/ToB(Lorekeeper of Oghma via a mod) again because I have zero interest in any new games. Next up I think I'm going to go through NWN1 again just because even though it wasn't that great compared to BG2 it's still better than 90% of the crap out now.

Really irritated with this playthough though because this time I decided to go with Bodhi, and didn't realize I wouldn't be able to get Edwin if I went past a certain point. So I don't have him. UGH

techwanabe

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
Yes, I played through Baulders Gate 1 + Tales of the Sword Coast, and Baulders Gate 2 + Throne of Baal, and Icewind Dale, Heart of Winter and the free expansion pack, Trails of the Luremaster, and IWD II. Enjoyed them all and found them to be immersive and deep. I did play them in multiplay mode with a few friends which was fun.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Just started a new game of NWN 2.

Already feeling bored and frustrated. Need to go back another generation.

masterxfob

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
haha, i don't game much anymore, but i do have the BG series installed. BG, PST, and FO are about as good as PC gaming will ever get.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Just started a new game of NWN 2.

Already feeling bored and frustrated. Need to go back another generation.

Yeah, NWN2 OC doesn't have much replay value for the powergamer. Once you've played as a Bard and Sorc, what else is there?

Not mentioned yet: Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. With the "basic" fixes-only patch from Wesp it's also one of the 10 best PC RPGs, for the art, sound, story and gameplay. You do miss out on the fun of a party though since you're fighting alone instead of with companions.

Yeah, I did a marathon session of that two days ago (everything up to the park in one sitting). 16xAA/supersampled transparencies at 1600x1200 looks awfully pretty. Pulled it off on a 9600GT with no framerate issues.
I can't believe how horrible NWN2 is in comparison in terms of both visuals and performance for being a game released two years later.

But Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is more Deus Ex than BG2.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah, NWN2 OC doesn't have much replay value for the powergamer. Once you've played as a Bard and Sorc, what else is there?

Actually I was more ticked off with the clunky camera, clunky inventory, clunky movement, combat railroading of the gameplay and storyline, and what else?
Oh, the fetch-it quests so you can have a decent castle keep.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Actually I was more ticked off with the clunky camera, clunky inventory, clunky movement, combat railroading of the gameplay and storyline, and what else?
Oh, the fetch-it quests so you can have a decent castle keep.

My solution to the camera and movement was to... play Bard and Sorc. Combine PC Bard and Elanee's prebuffing and you've got insane melee power. Combine PC Sorc with Qara and Sand and nothing this side of a dragon is going to last more than a round.
No need for micromanaging of tactics with either.

Inventory I didn't have an issue with. There is a button to arrange it by type, ya' know.
Easier to carry everything with a 16STR Bard than a 10STR Sorc, though.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I prefer Dragon Age to Baldurs Gate. Although I think Baldurs Gate 2 is better than Dragon Age 2. (in fact, I would stay far away from Dragon Age 2)

Neverwinter Nights 2 has a pretty good story line, and pretty good gameplay.

The Witcher is another game with a relatively good storyline and gameplay, although it is pretty slow and boring to begin with (but then so was Baldurs Gate).

Of these, my number 1 suggestion is Dragon Age 1. The biggest problem with this, is that they made the PC DRM a pain in the rear end, where it litterally took me a couple weeks to get the game to work with all the DLC. Now that I have it working, I can say that I like the actual game, but I was very upset with the amount of work I had to put into getting the game to work. I doubt I will buy a new EA game anytime soon based on that experience.