I may get to experience unemployment.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Those are the only words I needed to see. I'm sure I'll catch flack for this, many people will tell me I'm wrong, and there are probably exceptions, but NEVER work for a family-owned company if you can avoid it because stuff like this happens all the time. Time to move on - find a new job first and then give notice.

At this point I'm hoping they alter my hours or pay so I can tell them I am unable to make that work with my schedule and they release me so I can collect unemployment.

You are right about the family BS, they try to leverage the "loyalty" crap against people like they are doing you a favor, not in so many words.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Update your resume and start looking for new job. You don't want to go on unemployment if you can help it. That should be the last resort and safety net. If you've already mentally checked out, work with "I don't give a fuck" attitude. That's like the most liberating feeling and only comes when you're in position of power. That way you can enjoy your last days at the current company as you prepare to jump ship to new and better opportunity elsewhere. Unemployment is not better opportunity. That's dead end and safety net only until you can land on your feet again. It sounds like you have plenty of time to prepare to jump ship. Again, I repeat. You don't want unemployment. You want to stay in position of power. Start applying now.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Those are the only words I needed to see. I'm sure I'll catch flack for this, many people will tell me I'm wrong, and there are probably exceptions, but NEVER work for a family-owned company if you can avoid it because stuff like this happens all the time. Time to move on - find a new job first and then give notice.

As part owner of a family run company in an industry that used to have a lot of them you aren't wrong. My peers got more than a little cranky with me when I pointed out that something they are doing is bullshit.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
To my knowledge, if you're on unemployment, you typically need to be applying for jobs every week, and may lose the unemployment if you turn down an offer. YMMV by locality, of course.

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
The bolding is considered classic non-competitiveness and is absolutely illegal. If that is happening, I'd definitely anonymously report it to the state and have them investigate.

Either way, in your case, I'd simply hold fast and tell them you won't modify your schedule according to your contract. Document everything, and if necessary threaten them / HR with legal action if they intend to separate you from the company for this.

In the meantime, I'd start looking for another job.

I 100% agree that, if true, this is 100% illegal. SUPER illegal. Multi-multi-multi-million dollar fines illegal.

I also agree that, going forward, you need to document everything. Save off or print important/relevant emails. Document any in-person/phone interactions with management. Make sure you have a paper copy of your contract. Research employment lawyers, just in case.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
As part owner of a family run company in an industry that used to have a lot of them you aren't wrong. My peers got more than a little cranky with me when I pointed out that something they are doing is bullshit.

The main thing I see is hiring incompetent relatives to management positions. I'll never forget the "CIO" of a company I had to consult with - I gave him a quote on how to do something properly and he argued with me for days. I finally told him my methodology wasn't changing and if he didn't like it, go elsewhere. The best part? This particular company had not paid their balances due to my company several times and had been repeatedly suspended. Certain members of my management also wanted me to do what this idiot asked and I refused.

Of course the best example of incompetent kids being in charge of a company was our last President and his company, but I'll leave that for another discussion. :D

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
First time in my life I am looking at not working. I have a relatively decent job with good pay and benefits. We are so busy and behind though that our employer is "asking" people in the engineering groups etc. to go out into the plant and work on off shifts. Right now they are asking for volunteers, after that they will strongly suggest and appeal to your sense of "loyalty" and your commitment to the company.

My initial reaction is "screw you" we have a contractual agreement, hire more new people for the plant. But of course their hiring methods suck, and there is stiff competition, and it's very hard to hire right now, no on is even applying.

I can't find any answers about what qualifying events for unemployment are. I think forcing you to change work hours or reduce pay would qualify, I don't know, I'll have to call. But if I get told to start working 3rd shift next week I suppose I'll be done there after over 30 years of service, just don't know how I should handle it as my best chance of drawing unemployment so I don't have to work for a while. This what I get for working over 30 years at the same place, a dubious test of my loyalty. I need a beer.

Is your position or positions you know of that are opening where you currently work, are related to any of the following?
*network engineering
*systems engineering
*Cyber/Information Security.

I read in your post that the pay they are going to give is bad, however as I currently have 0 years of work experience arter comming out of college, pay is not what I think I should be looking at, rather I should be looking at gaining experience.

Please reply, and thank you for informing us that you might be considering leaving your position and opening a job spot.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Is your position or positions you know of that are opening where you currently work, are related to any of the following?
*network engineering
*systems engineering
*Cyber/Information Security.

I read in your post that the pay they are going to give is bad, however as I currently have 0 years of work experience arter comming out of college, pay is not what I think I should be looking at, rather I should be looking at gaining experience.

Please reply, and thank you for informing us that you might be considering leaving your position and opening a job spot.
LMAO this guy coming in trying to take someone else's position.

There are plenty of positions open in the workforce. Go find them.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Definitely polish up that resume and start getting it out there. But if you have the means, don't let them treat you like a total peon either.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
That rule was/is suspended in most states during this.

Far as I know it's been reinstated ... I know it has in Connecticut.

Although I'm technically still furloughed I've been looking for something with near-zero/zero commute all throughout the pandemic.

Considering how many companies are supposedly looking to hire immediately replies to applications are still few and far between compared to March 2019 when my old boss retired.

Apparently if I wanted to hump boxes in an Amazon warehouse 8 hours a day I could start immediately though! (I doubt I'd survive the 1st shift!)

:D

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Apparently if I wanted to hump boxes in an Amazon warehouse 8 hours a day I could start immediately though! (I doubt I'd survive the 1st shift!)

You mean "pee in bottles"

It might depend on state to state but I think in some (most?) states they start to get on your case to take whatever once you get close to the end of unemployment.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Yea I don't think I have to take any job that comes along. No one in their right mind would take a $40,000 salary cut to make less at a new job than they are getting on unemployment. At least not right away. I am in a unique position I guess. I have money saved, a decent chunk of retirement already, and a wife that owns a vet clinic and makes about 4 times what I do. The driver for me to get working right away is to provide company health insurance for her and I, and to get out of the house since she wouldn't be able to stand me not working while she is slaving away all day lol.

If I had it my way I'd just be a stay at home dog dad. But I am the type that values my worth by my work ethic, and I like to contribute to society and my retirement should be bigger. So when I find out exactly what is going to happen I'll go from there. It could be tomorrow, it could be a couple weeks.

Reactions: highland145