I like the new Car Mechanic Simulator but am having some issues.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
How is Disc Brake Ventilated different from Disc Brake?

Why would a manufacturer put drum brakes in the rear and disc brakes in the front?

How do the calipers, pads, and disc of one wheel get worn down to nothing while the other 3 are in pristine condition?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Why do people wait until their engine in completely destroyed before taking it to the shop?

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003

Why would a manufacturer put drum brakes in the rear and disc brakes in the front?

How do the calipers, pads, and disc of one wheel get worn down to nothing while the other 3 are in pristine condition?

solid_vented.png

The front rotor will be the only ventilated rotor in most cases.

2. Cost, and because drum brakes are still good enough for most vehicles.

3. Defect in one of the parts, warped rotor, shortylickens installed it, etc.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Alright, game is fun but gets repetitive very quickly.
Theres not too many cars available and many of them feel the same. Aside from fixing vehicles to the customers wishes there isnt much else to do. You can try buying a used vehicle at auction then restoring it, but you'll rarely make a profit from such activities.
You can buy parking spaces at 50 grand a pop, but all you can do with those is put more vehicles away for future fixing and sale. Since there is very little driving to do, you'll get bored in short order.

They need more stuff for the game.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Never heard of this game but I just looked it up on Steam. I'd like to know more about cars so I was gonna get the 2015 version, hoping that I would with the game. But one review said:
A view from one who both enjoys driving and also swings spanners for a living.

TLDR version - A very basic introduction into light vehicle components that feels like it needed another 3 months before release. CMS 2014 is more realistic in many ways - sideways evolution not revolution.

Later in his review he mentioned 2014 having some more realistic aspects in other areas too.

Do you think either of these games would help someone learn more about how cars are put together and maybe how to fix them? I get that you wouldn't be an expert mechanic.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
well, I now know what the basic parts. But I doubt I could even fix my own car. Maybe change the brake pads.

leper84

Dec 29, 2011
Why do people wait until their engine in completely destroyed before taking it to the shop?

lol

Alright, game is fun but gets repetitive very quickly.
Theres not too many cars available and many of them feel the same. Aside from fixing vehicles to the customers wishes there isnt much else to do. You can try buying a used vehicle at auction then restoring it, but you'll rarely make a profit from such activities.
You can buy parking spaces at 50 grand a pop, but all you can do with those is put more vehicles away for future fixing and sale. Since there is very little driving to do, you'll get bored in short order.

They need more stuff for the game.

Complaining about not enough real work to do? Maybe this game isn't that bad, between that and the above you sound like a real life technician.

gpse

Oct 7, 2007

Vented Disc is usually used in the front, it's vented to allow the Rotor to cool down faster, since the front brakes do 75% of the braking.

Drum brakes in the back mostly because of cost, it's cheaper and works decent enough, only real draw back is drum brakes need to be adjusted every so often, whereas disc brakes self adjust.

Pads worn down on one wheel more then the other 3 is because something is seized up, either the calliper or sliders on that wheel end are seized.