I like Norton SystemsWorks 2003.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
I haven't liked some of the past iterations, but this one is pretty slick. does it's thing, it has Norton Ghost built in, Norton AV is pretty good, The reg scanner seems ok.

also the whole interface works and looks better than some of the past ones.

anyway, i'm happy with it. :)

rival

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2001
ive always had trouble running nortons software, they always seem to bog down the system a bunch...then again my system isnt a speed demon, but it will be soon :)

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
I just got it myself LeeTJ, it's much better than the 2002 version so far :)

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
I installed a wireless network for a client yesterday. All went well, which is a miracle in itself considering the problems with wireless, except one XP machine with Norton Systemworks 2003 would give me an error stating that "The C: drive is not accessible" every time I would share the C: drive and reboot. I finally uninstalled Systemworks and life was good again.

Whenever I see Systemworks on a client's machine I advise them to uninstall it. It creates more problems than it resolves, IMO.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
I've installed SystemWorks on dozens of machines...and I've never had the slightest problem with it.

Drew

gypsyman

Jan 14, 2001
Norton System Works 2003 just ran its autoscan on my box. It found 426 registry errors and 44 shortcut errors. I stared at the "begin fix" button. I wondered if I hit it, would I suffer BSOD'S and or lock up at boot?! Well I hit that button and lived to tell about it... It says it corrected all 426 reg errors and 43 of the 44 short cut errors. That was 2 hours and 3 boots ago so I dodged the bullet. :D Stable so far... ;)

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
wow

a thread revived. :)

ya, i've used it for about a month now and i still like it. not something i was able to say about past nortonworks or versions thereof.

this one is a keeper.

amorse2183

Banned
May 20, 2003
I've been using norton for years. i have never had a single problem with it. I wouldn't even think of not installing it. no bloat to it at all.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: amorse2183
I've been using norton for years. i have never had a single problem with it. I wouldn't even think of not installing it. no bloat to it at all.

really??

i used to have REAL problems with some of the older versions of Nortons IF they weren't INSTALLED BEFORE anything else (well besides the OS of course). It was annoying if i had to install on client system because i'd have to UNINSTALL all apps, install Nortons and then Reinstall all the apps.

this one doesn't seem to have that issue.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
How the hell do you use the Ghost included in Systemworks 2002? I can't figure out how to create an image!

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I've seen a system so screwed up that the desktop icons & text were only odd symbols. The owner was ready to reformat and reload. I said, let's try WinDoctor from the SW disk...
Over 350 problems and a reboot later, the system was running fine. Kind of made me look like a warlock or something.

Delve into the black arts and use SystemWorks 2003! But I never load the AV or Clean Sweep... gotta run lean and mean. ;) GoBack is nice to have, but it does put a drain on the system.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: LeeTJ
I haven't liked some of the past iterations, but this one is pretty slick. does it's thing, it has Norton Ghost built in, Norton AV is pretty good, The reg scanner seems ok.

I'll have to agree.

I've been a fan of SystemWorks for a long time, 2003 is a cut above, and it usually can be had for cheap AR.

BTW-Yes it is bloat, but necessary bloat.

If you wanna run lean you need a second machine.

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Squisher

I'll have to agree.

I've been a fan of SystemWorks for a long time, 2003 is a cut above, and it usually can be had for cheap AR.

BTW-Yes it is bloat, but necessary bloat.

If you wanna run lean you need a second machine.
Define necessary bloat. Pretty much all the utilities in NSW are moot with win2k or XP. Only thing worth running is NAV or ghost if you need it, but I prefer drive image anyways...

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
How the hell do you use the Ghost included in Systemworks 2002? I can't figure out how to create an image!
lol!

Make a DOS boot diskette, copy your ghost executable and .env license file to the diskette. The ghost executable is (not unexpectedly) in the Ghost directory and IIRC named ghostpe.exe or ghost.exe. Boot with your diskette and run GHOSTPE, then select Local > Disk (or Partition) > To Image. Follow the menu instructions to select your source and destination drives/partitions and to name the image file. You must be writing the image file to a different disk or partition than the source disk or partition.

Ghost 2002 can burn directly to CDR or CDRW (unformatted) provided that your CD-RW drive is supported by Ghost. Ghost will work with more CDRW drives than are listed, these are just the ones tested by Symantec. If yours is not listed, it will probably work with Ghost, but you can't know for sure unless you test it yourself. Only IDE/ATAPI or SCSI writers are supported.

DOS CD-ROM drivers are not required nor recommended for Ghost to write to CD-R or CD-RW (only to read from). The Ghost executable contains native support for internal IDE/ATAPI or SCSI CD writers. However, you still need the proper ASPI drivers loaded if you're using a SCSI drive. Ghost will automatically span the image file across as many CD-R or CDRW discs as it takes (up to a maximum of like 34 or something like that).

More goodies:

How to save an image file directly to a CD-R/RW disc

How to create a bootable CD that can restore a Ghost image

gypsyman

Jan 14, 2001
I just ran Norton Performance Test off of the 2003 cd.

Results: Pass Mark of 196

MegaFlop rating of 419.6

This is on a Gateway P4 2.0.... Anyone else run this test yet?

T3C

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2003

it has worked good for me also

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
i have it. i only installed norton av and ghost from it though. i don't use that other crap.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i remember when that piece of software used to take over your system and do bad things with it

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
i remember when that piece of software used to take over your system and do bad things with it
It still does. Norton is the debbil!