I know I'm not posting in the right forum, but....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 6, 2008
Also get any video or other hardware drivers you will need. The ASUS motherboard most likely had a cd or two that held the drivers for the motherboard, the video card would have had the same. You can download these to the laptop and copy them to a usb memory stick or whatever you have.

OK so far I've installed the new hard drive (yea!) and SP's 2 & 3 for XP Pro. I had to go online with my laptop an saved them to a USB to install it on this PC. I've also installed Norton but haven't gone online to update it yet. I have a question with regards to the drivers for the MB and video card. I went to the ASUS website, found my MB and there are 45 different downloads for this one MB. Here's the link: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx . Am I supposed to download and install all of these?

Thanks!!

Oct 6, 2008
Btw do you remember what CPU temperatures Asus probe was showing when popping up?

Re muon1, also known as DPAD, myself & a few others run that, if you need a hand with that too, then let me know :).Incase I'm not about (I visit sporadically), I'm sure 1 of the other muon1 crunchers will help.

Hi Assimilator! I remember seeing you name a few years back!!

I don't remember what the CPU temps were set at or what temps they were when the prob popped up, sorry.

I do plan on loading DPAD again but I don't even know what website to go for that. I know my PC (and my mom's) is running under the name of Amaroque. I'd like to link my crunching to Dustin's name and the team he was on.

It make take me a few more evenings to install everything else before I get to DPAD.

Thanks for all of your assistance!!

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Am I supposed to download and install all of these?
No. Remember that link I gave you to software that can figure stuff out about hardware? Get that; it will tell you what motherboard you have. (It will also tell you how hot the CPU is, by the way. :))

Edit: 45 downloads for one motherboard? Didn't see that. The link you gave just goes to the download site; can you post the details you entered?

Last edited:

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
OK so far I've installed the new hard drive (yea!) and SP's 2 & 3 for XP Pro. I had to go online with my laptop an saved them to a USB to install it on this PC. I've also installed Norton but haven't gone online to update it yet. I have a question with regards to the drivers for the MB and video card. I went to the ASUS website, found my MB and there are 45 different downloads for this one MB. Here's the link: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx . Am I supposed to download and install all of these?

Thanks!!

Most likely not.
Maybe you should just focus on anything that's not working.
Do you have sound? Network card seem fine?

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Glad you remembered me :).

Not to worry about the old temps, when you get it up & running again with DPAD let us know what temp it runs at then.

DPAD website, http://www.stephenbrooks.org/muon1/ ,direct link to the file download http://www.stephenbrooks.org/muon1/v444d.zip
When you say you want to link your crunching to Dustin's name I take it you mean via his Amaroque account? If so, then all you need to do when you 1st run muon1 is enter his account name [TA]Amaroque ,& you will be crunching for his old account & under Team AnandTech :).
Oh & I'll have to guess here that he set you up with the commandline version (looks like a DOS window), if so then you'll want to run 'muon1_cmdline.bat'. If it was the graphical version then run muon1.exe (it's pretty but much slower, worth at least a 1 off look though ;)). And yea leave DPAD until you've sorted the rest :thumbsup:.

Re your Asus link, it only shows the drop down menu page.
Ok I entered S939 then A8N-E & I see what you mean!

Ignore 'BIOS' & 'BIOS utilities', I've no idea what ATK is! Does anyone else?
Get the Audio driver that matches your Windows & audio chip if the sound doesn't work(err atm I can't think how you'll identify the chip! I'll get back to you on that unless someone else can help).

As for 'utils' you'll want Asus probe (although I think speedfan is better, but it's upto you), I think the 2 MS updates will probably be covered by a windows update, although you could grab them JIC.
You can probably ignore the 'others' too, if you want to try newer chipset drivers though you could go to the Nvidia site, if your PC has problems.
Assuming you have a paper manual to hand you can ignore 'manuals' too :).

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
The link you gave just goes to the download site; can you post the details you entered?

On the Asus website under the download section I entered A8N-E and selected all, this is what it came back with:

45 files found
BIOS (9) [BIOS History]
BIOS-Utilities (5)
ATK (1)
AUDIO (4)
Utilities (13)
Others (6)
Manual (7)

Oct 6, 2008
No. Remember that link I gave you to software that can figure stuff out about hardware? Get that; it will tell you what motherboard you have. (It will also tell you how hot the CPU is, by the way. :))

Will use this site once I can get online, I'm still sorting through these downloads first to enable me to get online with the other pc :)

Oct 6, 2008
Most likely not.
Maybe you should just focus on anything that's not working.
Do you have sound? Network card seem fine?

Still looking for the network card.....finally just found the correct nVidia chipset and am downloading that. It appears that it may take a while to I'm opting for a beer then bed for tonight!

:)

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Still looking for the network card.....finally just found the correct nVidia chipset and am downloading that. It appears that it may take a while to I'm opting for a beer then bed for tonight!

:)

For any future times of doing this, sometimes you can get away with doing the NIC (network card) drivers first, and then have windows find the rest of the drivers. Doesn't work with all drivers, and it works a whole lot better on the newer versions of Windows (Windows 7, Vista, etc). It is fairly hit or miss with XP, but it's worth trying to save some time and trouble. Also, it's worth a try after you get the network drivers installed to do this, as it might find drivers that you haven't found, couldn't find, or didn't know were missing.

Also, setting up the network stuff first allows you access to the network, which means you (or someone else) can remote in and do all the updates. ;) I use this at work and with relatives when I can.

Oct 6, 2008
OK....Houston we have a problem here....

I installed the nVidia chip set and was then able to get online. I updated my Norton anti-virus. After that I went to Windows update and pulled down all thier updates (76 of them). The system then asked to restart and of course I said yes. Well, the system won't re-boot now. A system configurations screen is up and it does not see my primary master or slave disk (I only have a master). It's asking me to insert system disk and press enter. I have not inserted any disks, just tried re-booting and received the same response.

Just a note.....last week after I installed updates for windows and the system re-booted and hour later is when it crashed so now I'm a little hesitant in doing anything.

Suggestions????

I new I should've just gone to my yoga class tonight :)

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
Call off the dogs....I figured it out.

Ended up having to boot off the Windows CD again and into the Windows repair to unistall one of its updates. Update kb975561 was causing the problem, once I removed that the system booted up just fine.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Huh. I wonder if that was the problem with your old drive?

Oct 6, 2008
I was thinking the same thing! I haven't tried accessing the old one yet, still installing other things like the Sandra software you recommended :)

This whole process has been a major learning experience for me - I've never done anything like this.

GlacierFreeze

Golden Member
May 23, 2005
Ended up having to boot off the Windows CD again and into the Windows repair to unistall one of its updates. Update kb975561 was causing the problem, once I removed that the system booted up just fine.

You do something like this but ask questions about some pretty basic stuff. I don't get it. Reading through this whole thread... just seems kinda weird. Some things seem contradictory and don't make sense.

Oct 6, 2008
You do something like this but ask questions about some pretty basic stuff. I don't get it. Reading through this whole thread... just seems kinda weird. Some things seem contradictory and don't make sense.

It's because at the same time I'm doing a LOT of research online and I don't want to be a total pain in the butt to everyone here.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
It's because at the same time I'm doing a LOT of research online and I don't want to be a total pain in the butt to everyone here.

And this is why you couldn't be a pain in the butt here. :D

Even if you weren't doing research and all, you are willing to do this stuff yourself, which is great in the first place. The fact that you are willing to do research just makes it that much better.

(Did that make sense? I dunno--I'm tired...)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Why was Update kb975561 causing problems? (a quick google didn't really give me an answer ;)).

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
You did not post in the wrong forum: The TeAm takes care of their own.

and I don't want to be a total pain in the butt to everyone here.
I'll add to FMCs idea:
You definitely are not and you couldn't be because: The TeAm takes care of their own. These gentlemen are honored to do so.

Did you ever search the forum for posts by Amaroque?

Oct 6, 2008
Why was Update kb975561 causing problems? (a quick google didn't really give me an answer ;)).

I don't know why this update, or any other for that matter, caused this problem. Here's how I came about this...

I did a google search on "windows update march 2010 boot drive." The first return was from a Microsoft forum that had the same issue only with a Feb update. I followed all the steps that it outlined and nothing happened. I remebered seeing those KB numbers on the windows update pages after the description of the update. So I just figured that Microsoft screwed up again with a different update. I'm thinking that there's got to be a list of these little KB numbers so I did a google search on "windows update march 2010." The first return was another Microsoft page and they released 2 security updates in March. So I followed those instructions from the previous website and removed kb975561. I restarted the pc and it worked!

I have no idea if I need this security update or not, I'm thinking that if I install it again I won't be able to use my PC and it was working fine without it. So in my mind I don't need it if I want an operable computer.

Though I will say that when this computer has seen it's days (I'm hoping to get a few more years out of it) that I'm investing in a MAC.

Oct 6, 2008
Did you ever search the forum for posts by Amaroque?

Thanks GLeeM! I did search for his posts. Sadly his last post on this website was about 7-8 before he passed away. I still miss him so much :(

Though I did find a piece of a puzzle. While searching Amaroque's previous posts I came accross a thread about IC Diamond. Amaroque apparently had them sent to my house because I received them a few days after he died. I had no idea what they were and still have the 2 tubes that were sent to him. What am I supposed to do with this stuff? Is it still any good? It sure doesn't look like any type of diamond I've seen before :)

Freewolf

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2001
Sounds like a brand of thermal paste. It goes on the cpu before you put the heat sink / fan on to improve conductive between the cpu and the heat sink/ fan. in other words it helps keep the cpu cool

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Actually members of various TA teams were testing ICD 7 :).

Northern Lights
That ICD7 is a thermal paste for heatsinks, it is a very good paste too (I found it a little better than the silver based pastes which are considered 'high end' pastes), it does have to be applied in a specific way though & heatsinks with a weak clamping force don't benefit so well.
When you've done with installing everything maybe you could overclock your X2 again back to what it was & applie the ICD7?, it maybe enough to bring temps down to a reasonable range (if it was actually too high to begin with).
If you don't want to use them I guess you could just sell them on, oh & that paste is actually diamond based so it ain't cheap! ;)

Btw your not a pain at all, it's a pleasure to help you :).
Oh & thx for the explanation on the windows update, sounds like you took an educated guess & hit gold :D.

Last edited: