I knew the job market was bad, but not this bad....

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
lol @ anyone willing to do an unpaid internship. idiots, i'd rather work for Foxxconn. At least they pay you for shit work.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I stopped paying attention to job requirements. They are merely there to keep people from applying.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Seems pretty cut and dry to me. You can get the internship in just three simple steps.

1:Become a successful professional Engineer
2.Gain 5 years experience in the field
3. Leave job and accept internship and paycut

Simple.

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
Maybe, due to company policy, they have to advertise the position even though they have a person they already want for the job? So they created this posting to skirt the requirement?

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Guy at work knows I'm a big movie fan so he said I should become a manager of an AMC theater. Checked out the website for shits and giggles

Take charge of your career as a theatre manager at AMC. Apply now to our EXCELerated Leadership Development Program (ELDP) to become a general manager in training.
ELDP is a six- to 18-month hands-on training program for people with three to five years of management experience in the hospitality or customer service industry. The program gives you the skills you need to become a general manager at one of our more than 300 theatres in the United States. As an ELDP you'll receive excellent benefits like a competitive salary, health and 401(k) programs, free movie passes and more.

fucking clowns

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Maybe, due to company policy, they have to advertise the position even though they have a person they already want for the job? So they created this posting to skirt the requirement?

/this

when i was working we did it all the time. policy says we have to post it even if we already have someone we want.

Lifted

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2004
That could be a fresh grad. Most engineering students I know worked for profs in labs during the year and often over the summer.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I don't imagine they're going to get many applicants

Guy at work knows I'm a big movie fan so he said I should become a manager of an AMC theater. Checked out the website for shits and giggles

fucking clowns

Actually, that one sounds reasonable. They're hiring for a manger position over an operation that has a crap ton of employees and thousands of customers every week. It isn't like being a night manager at Burger King.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Job requirements can be hilarious.

I work in a NOC. My job requirements were to get my CCNA with plan to get CCNP. We don't even touch Cisco equipment other than looking at an alert saying that it's down. Most of the stuff we deal with is telephony equipment.

People having a hard time for a job should just come to Canada. Bring a hammer and some nails, we'll find a job for you. :p Especially my city. Never enough tradesmen.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I stopped paying attention to job requirements. They are merely there to keep people from applying.

Pretty much. If there was such a thing as a perfect person, they'd already be employed at the dream job, not looking for work.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Job requirements can be hilarious.

I work in a NOC. My job requirements were to get my CCNA with plan to get CCNP. We don't even touch Cisco equipment other than looking at an alert saying that it's down. Most of the stuff we deal with is telephony equipment.

People having a hard time for a job should just come to Canada. Bring a hammer and some nails, we'll find a job for you. :p Especially my city. Never enough tradesmen.

There's not enough skilled tradesmen because the high schools don't encourage it. They make it seem like anyone not destined for university and a white collar job is a loser. Which is hilarious because I'd wager most tradesmen make more money than the dork in the office with the MBA, who's pushing paper.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Seems pretty cut and dry to me. You can get the internship in just three simple steps.

1:Become a successful professional Engineer
2.Gain 5 years experience in the field
3. Leave job and accept internship and paycut

Simple.

America FUCK YEAH! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

cart-before-the-horse.png

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
There's not enough skilled tradesmen because the high schools don't encourage it. They make it seem like anyone not destined for university and a white collar job is a loser. Which is hilarious because I'd wager most tradesmen make more money than the dork in the office with the MBA, who's pushing paper.

I actually heard that the "lack of tradesmen" is a myth in Ontario due to lack of apprenticeship or deficiencies in the trades-trainihg programs (government or union run). People are willing to do it, they just can't.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I actually heard that the "lack of tradesmen" is a myth in Ontario due to lack of apprenticeship or deficiencies in the trades-trainihg programs (government or union run). People are willing to do it, they just can't.

Yeah I'm not stuck up, I'd be perfectly willing to run cable or fit pipes.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
*shrug* Sounds like a masters-level internship, where an abundance of schooling will replace the few years of work experience they cited. Poorly written though. They'll probably get a few hundred candidates if it's a paid gig.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

probably. Hell, we do it all the time.

Talk about fucked up: my boss once left a posting open, which had been filled for more than a year already (again: the posting was only created so that he could be hired). People applied--tons of people. HR policy was that candidates had to be selected...and interviewed.

...I had to phone interview people for a job that didn't exist.

FML.

:(

ussfletcher

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
My dad is a journeyman in five trades (masonry related) he would agree with you. As his boss told him (when he was ~17) "Learning a skilled trade is just like going to college." Well, I'll just say he owns his own business and is very comfortable. Oh, and as an engineer I will never make as much as he did as a superintendent in the bricklayers union.