I knew California was as bad as the Soviet Union

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I used to live in very rural parts of CA. We used to capture stray cats, get them fixed, and then keep them around to keep down rodents. We almost never had less than 4 cats at a time. When I moved to Fremont, we did not need as many cats, so they were mainly just pets and we typically had about 3.

CA as I would assume most of the US has a big problem with cats killing native wildlife. Many cats are allowed to go outside and as such kill many animals every year. Cats have 3rd party implications in many places. I would actually favor a study to see the impact that cats have, and then adding a per cat tax to cover the impact. I dont know how that could work or if it could work, but Cats do have a major impact on wildlife.

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/journal/v4/n1/abs/ncomms2380.html

estimated 1.3 to 4 billion birds and 6.3 to 22.3 billion small mammals in the United States annually

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
California mandates licenses for cats over a certain number? Damn. That's some Stalin-esque gulag shit right there.

Thanks Obama.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I used to live in very rural parts of CA. We used to capture stray cats, get them fixed, and then keep them around to keep down rodents. We almost never had less than 4 cats at a time. When I moved to Fremont, we did not need as many cats, so they were mainly just pets and we typically had about 3.

CA as I would assume most of the US has a big problem with cats killing native wildlife. Many cats are allowed to go outside and as such kill many animals every year. Cats have 3rd party implications in many places. I would actually favor a study to see the impact that cats have, and then adding a per cat tax to cover the impact. I dont know how that could work or if it could work, but Cats do have a major impact on wildlife.

Excellent input, and bang on the money IMO.

A friend and her husband visiting from Scotland once expressed surprise that my folks had a "barn cat" that they allowed to roam the property (to control mice and squirrels). She said in the UK there are areas where entire species of wild birds have been wiped out due to sport hunting from domesticated cats. That's actually a big deal, and seeing as how the domesticated cat is the most successful four legged predator on the planet I see noting wrong with taking some common sense precautions. I think in Glasgow your cats have to be equipped with a bell if they are allowed to venture outdoors, otherwise it's the pound and touts suite.

Personally I don't see the sense in outdoors cats. In addition to the toll on the local wildlife, I live where there's plenty of things outdoors that would try to eat them. Factor in the disease and parasite exposure and yeah screw that. I tolerate my wife's penchant for cats, actually have a great deal of affection for her gigantic my excellent compatriot (he's like my smallest dog) but there are boundaries. Why have pets but not let them live to their maximum age?

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Multiple cat owners expect to use their neighbors property as a cat crap box. Spreading this all over the neighborhood.

http://www.businessinsider.com/toxoplasma-gondii-the-cat-brain-parasite-2015-1

Later on, an infected cat will shed these oocytes in its feces — where, yes, you can then pick up the parasite from your cat's litterbox. An infection with Toxo is called Toxoplasmosis, and once it's in the body, it stays there. After an oocyst enters the body of a non-cat, it opens up and allows the Toxo zygotes to spill out, where they develop into a mobile, rapidly dividing life stage. Once they get into the blood stream, they are carried around to the body's organs, including the brain.

So thats what happened to you. :'(

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
in a large city you need to have rules in place to make sure it doesnt fall into squalor.

Did you know in los angeles the city comes into your apartment every 2 years or so and inspects it? They dont need a warrant. They just need t inform you 24 hours in advance. The reason? To make sure the landlords have everything up to code and arent selling each room to a separate person.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Keep too many pets and you are required to get a kennel permit. Get out of your basement more, the customs of your tribe do not apply to the whole world.

I dont have customs. Or a tribe.

I think for myself. Which is obviously an incomprehensible concept to you.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

they assume ferrets are the same problem, and dont allow them AT ALL.

Its bullshit. Ferrets are legal everywhere else and never cause issues. L.A. is just fear-mongering as an excuse to pass laws.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
T9KdD1v.png

:biggrin:

:colbert:

Yeah,the wife even has done the rounding up stray cats and neutering them thing in the past here.

The two we have now were strays she picked up and fell in love with.

One of them developed problems even, and we spent a lot more than a pure breed would have cost, the vet asked if we wanted to put him down at the time and we didn't.

He still calls him the miracle cat and he's over 10 now.

Last edited:

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
LA County controls an individual's right to own cats? Outrageous! Next thing you know, they'll try to stop people from owning 20-foot pythons or even venomous snakes, and letting them roam free in the summer months.

How dare the government curtail our freedom.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
While canine rabies has been eradicated in the United States, dogs are responsible for nearly all of the 55,000 rabies deaths that occur worldwide, mostly in Asia and Africa. And rabies can disrupt wildlife, too, the researchers said, noting that dogs have been blamed for spreading the disease among several other animal species in Africa, including the extremely rare Ethiopian wolf.
Without cats you would probably be overrun with rats.
The plague outbreak that killed millions was in part caused by eliminating cats.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
This just in. Dallas TEXAS is now also worse than the Soviet Union:

Is there a limit to the number of pets that I can have?

The City of Dallas does have pet limits pertaining to dogs and cats. There are no pet limits on other pets such as birds or fish.

• If you live in an apartment, duplex, townhome etc. (your wall touches another family’s wall), you may have up to a total of four (4) dogs and/or cats. For example 2 cats+2 dogs, 3 dogs+1 cat, etc.
  • If you live in a single-family home on less than ½ acre, the limit is 6 dogs and/or cats.
  • If you live in a single-family home on more than ½ acre, the limit is 8 dogs and/or cats.

These limits do not include puppies or kittens under six (6) months of age or feral cats in a registered feral cat colony.

http://www.dallasanimalservices.org/faq.html#17-petNumber

Probably almost every city in the country big enough to have their own ordinances have some type of limit on the number of pets you can have living with you.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
While canine rabies has been eradicated in the United States, dogs are responsible for nearly all of the 55,000 rabies deaths that occur worldwide, mostly in Asia and Africa. And rabies can disrupt wildlife, too, the researchers said, noting that dogs have been blamed for spreading the disease among several other animal species in Africa, including the extremely rare Ethiopian wolf.
Without cats you would probably be overrun with rats.
The plague outbreak that killed millions was in part caused by eliminating cats.

Actually, rabies has been an in issue New England lately, particularly Maine. Some old neighbors of mine report the skunk population is now also a pretty common carrier, maybe even more than fox or raccoon. I had to deal with rabid fox on two occasions back when I lived there. Anytime there's a mild winter they seem to see a spike in rabies the following spring/summer. Lots of bugs in Maine, which means there lots of bats in Maine. No shortage of skunks, raccoon or fox either.

So I guess the following doesn't surprise me all that much. Bound to happen sooner or later. Keep that .22Mag handy folks.

Rabid dog in Maine
http://bangordailynews.com/2012/09/24/health/maine-reports-first-rabid-pet-dog-in-almost-a-decade/

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
This just in. Dallas TEXAS is now also worse than the Soviet Union:

http://www.dallasanimalservices.org/faq.html#17-petNumber

Probably almost every city in the country big enough to have their own ordinances have some type of limit on the number of pets you can have living with you.

Those limits make sense from the size/occupancy perspective. Otherwise you would get douches in tiny houses with 20 dogs and the animals suffer.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I think I'd be more concerned with states with massive groups of religious zealouts wanting to use government to force their religion upon all others as more of a threat to freedom than a city ordinance that could be overbearing in regards to cats. But, conservatives seem to have a different priority.

squirrel dog

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If someone dies at home , usually very old and alone , cats will eat the corpse , where as a dog will lay down beside it and die right there . A vet told me this long ago . Just ask a vet .

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
If someone dies at home , usually very old and alone , cats will eat the corpse , where as a dog will lay down beside it and die right there . A vet told me this long ago . Just ask a vet .
So cats are smarter than dogs?