I keep worrying about "hitting the wall" and looking old...

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
I noticed that my skin doesn't seem to be as elastic as it once was (especially the back of my hands -- they get real dry in the winter time and they look like old man's hands to me) and when I look at a mirror I see an old man looking back. The skin on my face doesn't seem as elastic -- I can push it down with my finger and it doesn't restore to normal like I think it used to. And I see lots of tiny wrinkles in my face now too.

However yesterday while shopping for the "Catch Me if You Can" DVD at Best Buy, they asked me to do a 3 minute questionaire with a chance to win $200 gift card. Never to turn down a chance to win free money, I accepted the offer.

When the girl asked for my age, I said, "39" and she responded, "Are you serious?" When I replied yes, she said that she thought I was 25 or a college student. This made me feel good because I'm approaching 40 real soon and at my age I always begin to feel a little depressed when my birthday comes near. Especially when I think that so many 16 year olds probably have had a much richer social life than me.

Well, anyways, this happiness is shortened by my worries that I will, one day "hit a wall", and everyone will think I am old looking. This is one reason why I do not like to talk to people -- I'm afraid they will ask questions and then realize that I am 39 years old. Working as a software engineer, I prefer people not to know how old I really am. I don't want to suffer age discrimination.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Eat a healthy diet,watch your weight,get plenty of regular exercise, try to laugh a lot.We aren't 20 but being older doesn't have to be all that bad.Heck,I'm 46 and life overall is pretty good :)

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
There are plenty of guys here locally that are well over 40 and can whip my ass on a bike (I'm 32). Take care of yourself and you can delay "old age" for a long, long time.

I was talking to one guy tonight who's 53. He'd gone out and done 30 miles BEFORE the group ride (which is about 30 miles) and was still killing everyone on the hills. :confused:

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Funny you mention the hands thing. I was washing up after fixing one of my ever breaking down vehicles the other day and noticed my hands. Grime down in the wrinkles of the joints exaggerated things, but when I looked I thought "damn, those don't look like my hands, those look like I'm wearing someone else's skin as gloves" Ever since when I look they still don't look familiar, but I guess they will in time.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
Eat a healthy diet,watch your weight,get plenty of regular exercise, try to laugh a lot.We aren't 20 but being older doesn't have to be all that bad.Heck,I'm 46 and life overall is pretty good :)

Well, there went my perception of you. lol

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Originally posted by: Geekbabe

Well, there went my perception of you. lol

Lol,you know,I'm in pretty good shape and I feel good most of the time too.Life isn't all that bad:)