I just spent $180 on groceries

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
You are not a frugal shopper. I only spend $20 a week on food. $1 Michellina frozen meals are your friend. Shop at a store that has good sales every week (Meijer in my area) and just buy the stuff that's on sale.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: necine
To be fair I did purchase some high quantities... like 8 cans of tuna, and 16 cans of chunky soup (4 for 5 bucks) plus lots of fruits and veggies and lunchmeat. I usually pack my lunch so I'll eat it all but still - $180!!!!!

There's your problem. Anything healthy is expensive. You need that MSG processed poly-fat crap that clogs your heart.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: M0RPH
You are not a frugal shopper. I only spend $20 a week on food. $1 Michellina frozen meals are your friend. Shop at a store that has good sales every week (Meijer in my area) and just buy the stuff that's on sale.

If you plan to eat a variety of very healthy and full meals then you will be forced to spend much more than that. Don't save money in exchange for your long term health. It's not worth it...unless you are in college without much of a choice ;)

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Pfft... My grocery bill is generally about $200 every two weeks + as needed and fresh produce. I'd estimate probably $500 a month on groceries. Of course it's for a family of five... so :p

In any event, as an experiment, when I moved up to NY in November I ended up living by myself for a month. My first trip for groceries consisted of $20, which last me 2 weeks. :) Families are fucking expensive.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Pfft... My grocery bill is generally about $200 every two weeks + as needed and fresh produce. I'd estimate probably $500 a month on groceries. Of course it's for a family of five... so :p

In any event, as an experiment, when I moved up to NY in November I ended up living by myself for a month. My first trip for groceries consisted of $20, which last me 2 weeks. :) Families are fucking expensive.

i take that you eat ramen noodles for two weeks.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Juno

Not quite. Ramen was a small part of the diet... as well as PB&J, Tuna, Macaroni & Spaghetti Sauce, Tortilla Chips and a few other things. Included in the $20 was also 4 reusable plastic containers so I could take lunches to work with me. Target FTW!

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
I spent about $120 a couple of weeks ago after I came back from break.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
You fail at life and spending your money wisely. $180? The worst part is, you put "I bought 8 cans of tuna" in your main post. Tuna is about $.60 a can. "OH NOES BREAKING THE BANK" :roll: I hate it when people spend money they don't need to spend and then complain about it. STFU already.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
You fail at life and spending your money wisely. $180? The worst part is, you put "I bought 8 cans of tuna" in your main post. Tuna is about $.60 a can. "OH NOES BREAKING THE BANK" :roll: I hate it when people spend money they don't need to spend and then complain about it. STFU already.

There's a considerable price difference betwixt the cat-food esque yellow flake tuna and solid albacore which is further magnified at typical grocers versus buying in bulk at Costco or from mongers who carry food as a loss-leader like Walmart. A decent price for retail tins is prolly $1.25 but a grocer may charge two or three times as much which would add up fast for a quantity of eight.

But I agree with your closing sentiment ;)

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Juno

Not quite. Ramen was a small part of the diet... as well as PB&J, Tuna, Macaroni & Spaghetti Sauce, Tortilla Chips and a few other things. Included in the $20 was also 4 reusable plastic containers so I could take lunches to work with me. Target FTW!

mmm...tuna with mayo.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
I spend a little over that much a month...

I don't have a car though, so I tend to buy about $25 worth at a time.

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

I wasn't complaining. Merely an observation. I'm not cheap. I don't care if I spend 200 on groceries as long as I eat what I want to eat.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

You feed 5 ppl on $500/month? Yikes, I'd hate to see the quality of meals you are preparing for them on that budget.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
You gotta learn how to work the system. Only buy thing son sale. Only but things with coupons. Preferably buy things on sale AND use coupons. Don't show for what you need now. Stock pile up when you find a good deal and live off that.

You can save TONS and TONS of cash by being careful when and for what you shop.

There's even site dedicated to just that which have been mentioned previously such as: http://www.thegrocerygame.com/

I wish the Grocery Game was in my area but they aren't. I contacted them about starting a franchise though so maybe we will get it but I'll be the one doing it. heh heh.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Rudee

You feed 5 ppl on $500/month? Yikes, I'd hate to see the quality of meals you are preparing for them on that budget.

Generally as much of the food is organic or all-natural as we can afford.

The kids usually take a sandwich (all natural lunch meat/lettuce/cheese or PB&J on bread without HFC or preservatives), some sort of snack be it popcorn or crackers, and some form of fruit, and get juice (100% juice!) at school. Breakfast usually consists of cereal, oatmeal or if mom feels like cooking pancakes or scrambled eggs. Dinner is usually a fairly decent entre item such as organic meat, veggies and a side, or pasta, or something creative.

I usually don't eat breakfast (never have been a breakfast person), while my wife will normally eat organic blueberry oatmeal. I will usually take last night's leftovers with me for lunch the next day.

The key is we don't eat like pigs. The kids often ask for seconds, and they get it. We'll occasionally have a cake or cookies (wife is making peanut butter-chocolate-chip cookies right now) for desert. Juice, water or milk for drinks.

I'm sure my grocery bill will get significantly larger over the next several years as my kids start to hit their teens. But I honestly can't complain. I love coming home to a good home cooked dinner every night.