I just spent $180 on groceries

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
i spend a ton on groceries,
but then again, if you dont spend money on what you put IN your body, what WILL you spend it on?

i used to eat lots and lots and lots of steaks (i mean literally MORE frequently than every other day), but now ive been cooking lots more stews and soups and things that can be reheated...saves tons of time when i cook in batches

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: KingGheedora
Originally posted by: adairusmc
I am glad I got both a deer and an elk this year, made my grocery costs go down quite a bit.

Out of the 277 pounds of Elk I got pack from the processing place, I still have about 250lbs of it. Only got about 50lbs of stuff from the deer though, but it all adds up.

I still stock up on ribeyes whenever they go on sale though. When they hit $4.99 a lb (often enough), I usually drop a $100 or so on some ribeyes.

Wow, do you eat deer/elk three meals a day? You must have a pretty big freezer too. Where do you live? I don't think having 250lbs of deer/elk would cut down my grocery costs that much, because I would still want to have chicken, turkey, eggs, and fish. But then again the majority of my diet comes from eating out.

I didn't know they had processing centers. I always assumed people who hunted skinned and butchered their own kills. How much does the processing cost?

I butcher most of it myself, but I have the burger ground and mixed with fat by a meat processing place in town (small place). I also have them make any sausage, pepperoni sticks, and whatever else I want there as well.

It usually costs around 20 cents a pound to have it ground up or whatever. pepperoni sticks and jerky costs a little more. I usually have my deer and elk burger mixed with 10% beef fat myself.

I make all kinds of things with the deer and elk - soups, chili, stews, steaks, roasts, etc. I also hunt birds (chukar, pheasant, grouse, quail, turkey) whenever I can.

I still eat beef and chicken and all of that, but not nearly as much as I would if I did not hunt.

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
Originally posted by: LS21
i spend a ton on groceries,
but then again, if you dont spend money on what you put IN your body, what WILL you spend it on?

hell yeah thats what im preachin.... food should be tops in priority while most people brag about how they get by on cheetos and jacks pizza. people that eat crappy smell and they suck. im high sorry for the immaturity but its true

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
8 frozen dinners (stouffers and swanson)

there's where a good bit of your money went.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex

i would guess 8 x $5 ~= $40 alone on those

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
Originally posted by: mayonnaise
Chunkys soup is the most disgusting thing on this planet.

i wouldnt doubt that... you have anything to add? like an article that admits its half dog food?

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Originally posted by: PhoenixOrion
didn't cut out any coupons from the sunday newspaper?

shopped for anything 'buy one, get one' specials?

any items eligible for double-coupon/triple-coupon savings?

do you have a grocery 'rewards' card or one of those frequent-customer savings memberships?

We all know who wears the pants in Phoenix's house...

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: astroidea
Did you know that almost always, when they say 4 for $5, you don't actually need to buy 4 to get their deals? You can buy one for $1.25. They purposely put 4 for $5 to make you buy 4 at a time.
The only time when you have to by the specified amount is when they actually tell you how much one cost. Most times they don't.

ding. altho, my local place started putting "min" purchase quantities to qualify for pricing. Granted, I've only started seeing this on the yogurt deals.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Steve
I've done that, and I live alone too, but what sucks is that I live in a third floor apartment in a building with no elevators. So I try to pick up whatever I need when I need it to make it easy on myself.

Same, except im on the fourth floor and have to walk 4 blocks with the groceries. Not enough to take a taxi, but enough to be a pain :(

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
yeah my local stores get you when the say "when you buy 2" - instead of just "2 for 2" which means you can buy one for one dollar.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: zig3695
yeah my local stores get you when the say "when you buy 2" - instead of just "2 for 2" which means you can buy one for one dollar.

I see that fairly often. It'll say "2 for $3" and in small font underneath it'll say "or $2 each."

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Canned crap is for camping or emergencies... in the olden days before modern MRE's. I don't know how so many folks have become accoustomed to buying and eating higher-priced lower-grade food like that when they have access to the fresh or frozen variety.

I heartily agree with the recommendations to make your own schtuff in bulk from cheaper, better ingredients and then freeze it. Also, buy larger packs/containers of schtuff that does not expire quickly like butter and olive oil and ditto dried staples like large sacks of flour and rice since the cost per volume is far less.

Living day to day on pre-fab high-margin branded crap is exactly where The Man wants you to be. Also, it doesn't save effort -that's an illusion since you will spend more effort schlepping to 'n' fro' da sto' for small quantities of food with muy excess packaging which likewise must then be discarded/recycled.

Go easy on the tuna too due to mercury contamination.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: evident

no. only if you buy them from somewhere trying to rape you. 3 for 10 bucks if they are on sale. around here anyway. sometimes you can find the crappy mac & cheese ones that they are trying to get rid of on sale for $1.99.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
You could shop smarter and also learn to like to cook. Soup 4 for $5 isn't exactly cheap even though I know that's this weeks sale price at Publix. You could buy chicken on sale along with enough vegetables to make about 30 or so cans of soup and not spend much more. I cook a large pot of soup and put a couple of 1/2 gallon containers in the freezer and eat the rest over the course of a few days. I do the same when I make chili. You mentioned buying luncheon meat, which definitely isn't cheap for what you get for your money. I buy a turkey on sale for $.69 a pound, throw it on the smoker and have turkey for days as well as more for later in the freezer. Chicken breast goes on sale here every 2 - 3 weeks for $.99 a pound. I buy a few packs, cook some, throw the others in the freezer for later. Obviously part of the way I save is by having a freezer. Even without one you can change your eating habits and save.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: meltdown75

no. only if you buy them from somewhere trying to rape you. 3 for 10 bucks if they are on sale. around here anyway. sometimes you can find the crappy mac & cheese ones that they are trying to get rid of on sale for $1.99.

WTF Stouffers is crap. I mean crap as in bad quality. It's tasty but its bad for you and for that reason they go for like $2.50 at Safeway. I upgrade to Healthy Choice and even then those are like $3 if you get them on sale.

Anyways if you go to Costco, I can see you easily spending $180. If you went to somewhere like Safeway/Vons/Ralphs, it's pretty tough. The max I've spent at Safeway was $55.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
I can live on only $20 a week if I had to grocery-wise. Unfortunately, my dog can't...lol Dog food is expensive.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: conehead433
You could shop smarter and also learn to like to cook...

Or just eat simple foods. I eat the same stuff over and over and seem to be doing fine.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Originally posted by: meltdown75

WTF Stouffers is crap. I mean crap as in bad quality. It's tasty but its bad for you and for that reason they go for like $2.50 at Safeway. I upgrade to Healthy Choice and even then those are like $3 if you get them on sale.

Anyways if you go to Costco, I can see you easily spending $180. If you went to somewhere like Safeway/Vons/Ralphs, it's pretty tough. The max I've spent at Safeway was $55.
yeah. the only frozen lunches i like are the Lean Cuisine lasagnas but nothing beats grabbing some deli meat and a few buns for the work week. frozen stuff sucks but even the Michelina bowls aren't $5.