I just spent $180 on groceries

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
BTW I go shopping once a week and spend around $50.00.

The best thing is to stay out of the isles. Shop on the outside permimeter of the store. Lots of fresh fruits, veggies, meats and dairly is all you need. The stuff in the isles is junk besides the cannded goods (and some of them are junk too).

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Did you pay with a credit card which offers rewards?

2% on $180 = $3.60

2% pft, luckily my chase cash plus rewards 5/5/5 card is still going strong

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Pale Rider
BTW I go shopping once a week and spend around $50.00.

The best thing is to stay out of the isles. Shop on the outside permimeter of the store. Lots of fresh fruits, veggies, meats and dairly is all you need. The stuff in the isles is junk besides the cannded goods (and some of them are junk too).

Never thought of it that way, but I don't go into the isles either. That is, except for the beer isle, which is acceptable because it is on the outer perimeter of isles.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Here's my critique, feel free to tell me to FOAD.

Originally posted by: necine
Here's the official breakdown:

1 flounder - tilapia is cheaper, try Hispanic grocery
2 ribeyes - only buy on good sale
2 chicken breasts - Whole chickens are cheaper, cook once, eat many
8 frozen dinners (stouffers and swanson) - unnecessary expense, if you must, buy frozen entrees, cook once/eat many
1 italian sausage
1 32 pack water - You already pay for tap water. Total waste of money
4 12 packs soda (fpr $10 not bad)
16 cans chunky soup - make a big pot of soup, freeze in ziplocks or rubbermaids, make once/eat many
8 cans tuna
6 cans veggies - more frozen, less canned, may not save much but they taste better
2 frozen veggies
2 minute rice - go to Indian grocery, buy bulk basmati or jasmine rice, save lots, tastes better
6 apples - choose fruit based on sales
6 pears
3 tomatoes
3 cucumbers
1 lettuce
1 milk/bread/oj/olives/hot cherry peppers/pickles
3 beefaroni - Grody to the max!
4 elbows pasta - empty calories, you'll do better with dried beans, lentils
1 jar sauce
1 butter
bleach/detergent - name brand detergent, generic bleach
ice cream - always shop the sales
1lb roast beef
1/2 lb ham
1lb cheese - check out Hispanic grocery for lower prices
light bulbs
balsamic vinegar
olive oil
couple $1 thowaway 3pack tupperware containers
1 frozen tacos - eating out is probably cheaper for tacos
1 leave in conditioner (this is expensive like 7 bucks but i like the stuff)

there's the breakdown

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: RichieZ

2% on $180 = $3.60

2% pft, luckily my chase cash plus rewards 5/5/5 card is still going strong

:brokenheart:

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
Originally posted by: postmortemIA
$180... and lunc at my cafeteria rarely ever cost me over $6.00.... how it does pay off to bring lunch with you?

6*5=$35
My lunchmeat+bread=$10+maybe 3 for 5 pieces of fruit
My lunch for the week costs like 15 bucks and is pretty healthy.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006

2% on $180 = $3.60

I dont mess with credit cards anymore. cash.

You're one of those.

$0 annual fee
Pay it off every month = no interest
Rewards, perks, rebates
Free 1 year extended warranty

Why pay with cash?

Because I value my identity, I figure if I have crappy credits nobody would wanna steal it? :p

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
How do the Chase categories rewards work out, if say I go and buy $100 worth of stuff from Walmart, but that would include various foods, beer, household items, etc. Or if I goto the gas station, don't pay at the pump, pick up some beer and smokes, pay with the rewards credit inside? Or hell just Walmart in general... do they actually mark each transaction? Cause Walmart sells pretty much everything, and what if you buy $100 worth of groceries but also a $50 game?

Just got my first credit card a few weeks ago. Chase kept mailing me a ridiculous amount of crap about their Chase Freedom, although it seemed like one of the best ones to get anyway. I got the card like 6 days after applying, and if nothing else, their friggin' offers quit coming at least. I won't make jack on the rewards till I start working, but may as well use it, hopefully will help my credit a little bit. It would be damn sweet if I could pay rent with a CC (I know some people can). I can pay tuition with a CC... that would help rewards, even at 1%!

OP: A little high for living alone, but not all that bad. I surprise myself a lot when I go over $100 at Walmart, and it's not that hard to do. But that normally includes at least $10+ in beer and $10 in pop and $10+ in non-grocery items. But when I make a good $60-80 haul on groceries, it's usually good for 3-4 weeks, plus another $20 or so for bread, fruit, misc stuff that doesn't last that long.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: ironwing
Here's my critique, feel free to tell me to FOAD.

Here's the official breakdown:

1 flounder - tilapia is cheaper, try Hispanic grocery
2 ribeyes - only buy on good sale
2 chicken breasts - Whole chickens are cheaper, cook once, eat many
8 frozen dinners (stouffers and swanson) - unnecessary expense, if you must, buy frozen entrees, cook once/eat many
1 italian sausage
1 32 pack water - You already pay for tap water. Total waste of money
4 12 packs soda (fpr $10 not bad)
16 cans chunky soup - make a big pot of soup, freeze in ziplocks or rubbermaids, make once/eat many
8 cans tuna
6 cans veggies - more frozen, less canned, may not save much but they taste better
2 frozen veggies
2 minute rice - go to Indian grocery, buy bulk basmati or jasmine rice, save lots, tastes better
6 apples - choose fruit based on sales
6 pears
3 tomatoes
3 cucumbers
1 lettuce
1 milk/bread/oj/olives/hot cherry peppers/pickles
3 beefaroni - Grody to the max!
4 elbows pasta - empty calories, you'll do better with dried beans, lentils
1 jar sauce
1 butter
bleach/detergent - name brand detergent, generic bleach
ice cream - always shop the sales
1lb roast beef
1/2 lb ham
1lb cheese - check out Hispanic grocery for lower prices
light bulbs
balsamic vinegar
olive oil
couple $1 thowaway 3pack tupperware containers
1 frozen tacos - eating out is probably cheaper for tacos
1 leave in conditioner (this is expensive like 7 bucks but i like the stuff)

there's the breakdown

very nice...

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Did you know that almost always, when they say 4 for $5, you don't actually need to buy 4 to get their deals? You can buy one for $1.25. They purposely put 4 for $5 to make you buy 4 at a time.
The only time when you have to by the specified amount is when they actually tell you how much one cost. Most times they don't.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I am glad I got both a deer and an elk this year, made my grocery costs go down quite a bit.

Out of the 277 pounds of Elk I got pack from the processing place, I still have about 250lbs of it. Only got about 50lbs of stuff from the deer though, but it all adds up.

I still stock up on ribeyes whenever they go on sale though. When they hit $4.99 a lb (often enough), I usually drop a $100 or so on some ribeyes.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: SSSnail

2% on $180 = $3.60

I dont mess with credit cards anymore. cash.

You're one of those.

$0 annual fee
Pay it off every month = no interest
Rewards, perks, rebates
Free 1 year extended warranty

Why pay with cash?

Because I value my identity, I figure if I have crappy credits nobody would wanna steal it? :p

Only except no one is going to steal a credit card based on what rewards it offers. :confused:

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
WWWWOOOOOOOHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOO!!

funny this thread popped up today... my local tiny grocery store had half the store on sale for ONE DOLLAR. brand name stuff too, i went till my cart couldnt hold anymore (didnt pack well though) and the bill was $204-> then the store club card brought that to $130!!!!!!!! this is awesome! best shopping day of my life, there is food on my kitchen table because it wont fit anywhere else. IM SINGLE TOO! hahaha this is so fuckin awesome

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: PhoenixOrion
didn't cut out any coupons from the sunday newspaper?

shopped for anything 'buy one, get one' specials?

any items eligible for double-coupon/triple-coupon savings?

do you have a grocery 'rewards' card or one of those frequent-customer savings memberships?

I dont really clip coupons.

Yes.

I don't deal with that.

Of course, it'd be silly not to.

I never used to bother with any grocery coupons at all, never mind the double/triple value ones, however in my old age I've become a cheap bastard ... in fact my last food bill rang up to $177.85 ... AFTER all coupons were applied it was $149.40.

Considering it took me less then 15 minutes extra time to find the coupons & then find the corresponding items in the store I'd say that was worth it! (in fairness this was a good week ... my average savings is just under $20)

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
180 per month is not bad but per week is high...I spend around 180-200 per month...just me.

Terabyte

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 1999
Originally posted by: Captante

do you have a grocery 'rewards' card or one of those frequent-customer savings memberships?

Yes.

I don't deal with that.

I never used to bother with any grocery coupons at all, never mind the double/triple value ones, however in my old age I've become a cheap bastard ... in fact my last food bill rang up to $177.85 ... AFTER all coupons were applied it was $149.40.

Considering it took me less then 15 minutes extra time to find the coupons & then find the corresponding items in the store I'd say that was worth it! (in fairness this was a good week ... my average savings is just under $20)

Where are these coupons that people find?? I shop at Safeway, and I look at their ad that comes in every so often, but there are no coupons. :confused:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I just spent $125 (thank my parents for a $25 gift card to chop than down to $100)... and I live in an apartment/dorm, and that was all on me food. And I have a meal plan. :laugh: gah why do I like having these other foods too? Well, I didn't use all of my swipes last quarter, cuz I ate too much other food.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Terabyte

Yes.

I don't deal with that.

Where are these coupons that people find?? I shop at Safeway, and I look at their ad that comes in every so often, but there are no coupons. :confused:

Mainly from the local Sunday newspaper, although I do snag a few off coupon websites & from mailers. (USPS)

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004

:thumbsup:

The best I've seen so far was with my wife going to Walgreens...
About $50 worth of cosmetics, cottonballs, shaving gel, etc.....
I think she paid about $2 and change at the cashier.

All the coupons came from inserts inside the sunday newspaper. For example, a coupon to try Gillette's new shaving gel product, not the trial size, but the actual product off the Walgreen's shelf.

Terabyte

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 1999

Mainly from the local Sunday newspaper, although I do snag a few off coupon websites & from mailers. (USPS)

Ah. I don't get newspapers since I live in an apartment. Or rather, I don't pay for it. :brokenheart:

KingGheedora

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Originally posted by: adairusmc
I am glad I got both a deer and an elk this year, made my grocery costs go down quite a bit.

Out of the 277 pounds of Elk I got pack from the processing place, I still have about 250lbs of it. Only got about 50lbs of stuff from the deer though, but it all adds up.

I still stock up on ribeyes whenever they go on sale though. When they hit $4.99 a lb (often enough), I usually drop a $100 or so on some ribeyes.

Wow, do you eat deer/elk three meals a day? You must have a pretty big freezer too. Where do you live? I don't think having 250lbs of deer/elk would cut down my grocery costs that much, because I would still want to have chicken, turkey, eggs, and fish. But then again the majority of my diet comes from eating out.

I didn't know they had processing centers. I always assumed people who hunted skinned and butchered their own kills. How much does the processing cost?